Special Ops Paintball: First aid kit - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

First aid kit For minor injurys on the feild

#1 Guest_Tessaract_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:03 AM

Just whats in my first aid kit(ok, first aid shoppin bag, but does a hard plastic box really matter?) when i go play.

Ocean Potion. This stuff is a godsend on pretty much everything, contains aloe vera, tea tree extract and lidocaine, that lidocaine is wonderfull. This stuff is great for sunburns, scrapes, posion plants, insect bites, pretty much any minor skin irritations you run into.

Hydrogen Peroxide for sterilizing small scrapes and other minor lacerations.

90% iso alcohol -same reason as the hydrogen peroxide.(though i perfer the HP)

Triple Antibiotic ointment - contains polymyxin b sulfate. bacitracin zinc neomycin base and pramoxine To be used after sterlizing and before bandage. for minor scrapes, burns and small cuts.

Bandaids. to protect the wound from infections.

Medical skin tape -works like bandaids but cheap and on a roll. also good for sprains. (WARNING: be very carefull on some of the skintapes. i have used some that litteraly ripped off some of my skin. ill show you the scar sometime. get the kind thats purpose is to be a bandaid)

Icyhot/Active-on. contains. /methyl salicylate, menthol.for muscle pains, cramps, sprains and bruises.

Mercuroclear - its like antibiotic and the ocean potion. it contains ALOT more lidocaine (2.5% compared to .5%) and also contains benzalkonium chloride. mostly use this for severe insect stings, like wasps.

Other things i carry, not a first aid, more of preventive measure are sunblock and deet (insect repellent).

things i reccomend NOT carrying are any asprins. anyone can have an alergy to anything, even some of the simple things i listed like neosporin(triple antibotic ointment) but its rarer, and the person you are treating should know if there alergic or not, however asprin alot more people have alergic reactions to and you should not give them to someone less your positive they are not alergic to it. also they may be fine with some but have a severe reaction to another. for instance they may be fine taking tylenol but cannot take advil. so just leave that at home

Im sure your thinking. this is all basic stuff, anyone can get these OTC at the counter. well thats the point, to have simple first aid things, anything worse than a few simple cuts and scrapes and posionous plants or insects your not going to be able to treat on the feild anyways and need to call the ambulance. i cant tell you how to fix a broken leg over the internet and thats not something you want to do on the feild

but thankfully most injurys are minor like this and any idiot can fix em. so there you go. hope that helps in building your own first aid kit. accidents do happen. mine is still growing and open to suggestions on what to put in mine. (you can add a snakebite kit to yours if you want but in all honestly there basicly a marketing gimmic)

View Postpaintball valley, on May 13 2007, 05:40 AM, said:

All true! Even if someone is hurt badly you will want to get EMTs on the way and make your best effort to stop any bleeding. I like to have some extra gauze and such to ensure I can. Some wounds may look bad but are really manageable, unless I can see muscle fibers I will send the on there way after I've stopped the bleeding, dressed the wound and wrapped it. I can't do stitches in the field let the EMTs do that.

non-latex gloves (2 pair) simply a must if you have to touch a bloody wound; A MUST!!!
4x4" gauze pads (4-6)
2" rolled gauze (2) both of these; cause sometimes a bandaid just won't cut it.
scissors; to cut the gauze
alcohol wipes are also nice for cleaning the area around a wound, if need be.
coflex; it's a strechy self sticking medical tape. Becareful if you use this as you can cut off circulation if it is wrapped too tightly. I use it to completely cover a dressing. it create an additional barrier from dirt, as well as helps keep the dressing in place. I bring (3) 2" rolls, and have gone trough them all in a day, great stuff I love it.

I agree completly, except i would bring more than 2 pair of gloves, i reccomend a full box since you cant really buy it by the pair. gloves are extremely important and if you dont have them your just putting yourself at risk

View Postmommydog, on May 14 2007, 03:23 PM, said:

Don't forget a roll of 3" Ace wrap for sprains.

I would also suggest that anyone playing an extreme sport contact the Red Cross and get a basic certification in first aid and CPR. Hopefully you will never need it but just in case it is better to have it than wait for the EMT's. It will help in all aspects of your life not just on the field.

For allergies such as bee stings (I have an severe anaphylactic reation meaning I will stop breathing if I don't get an injection) make sure you tell someone that you have such a reaction and if you have an epi pen. Incase you need it someone will be able to give it to you. For minor reactions always have some oral benadryl on hand. Also the benadryl creme is great for bites and stings.

If you have allergies write them down and carry it with you! Also give a copy to a friend in case you are unconcious. That way the EMTs will know and so will anyone treating you. Same with allergies to medications, always have it written down and on you someplace.

Again please if you can take the basic first aid and CPR classes at the Red Cross! They are cheap and someday you can save a life!

yes, if you have medical problems that could result in an emergency on the feild like an alergic reaction to certain stings, asthma, heart conditions or any other medical conditions that can be worsened by exposure to outside (like insects) or extreme physical activity make sure you tell someone whom is at the feild with you about the condition, a buddy, a ref, team captain. anyone and make sure you bring your medicine and they know what to do if you have an episode, if you collapse from a heart condition and you need a nitro tablet to save your life you cant tell a ref after your allredy passed out on the ground, nor will they know where it is and how many to give you unless you tell them beforehand

This post has been edited by Tessaract: 17 May 2007 - 09:14 AM

#2 User is offline   Redlight 

• When the going gets tough, the tough go in!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Redlight

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:31 PM

Tess,

It's all right to carry analgesics (asprin, tylenol, advil) for your Personal use. I wouldn't pass them around the field like candy, but if someone asks for one and is specific enough there should not be a problem. Also I would try to avoid ASA (asprin), but for a reason other than the one you mentioned. The ASA acts like a clotting preventor, and any bumps you get after taking it can bruise quite a bit larger than what they would if you didn't take it. Hor a healthy person that's really no big deal, but it can be a pain to expain all the bruises if someone else sees.

Hope this helps some.

Rick
A Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on mine!
Visit My Feedback The Whiteboard - confusing non players since 2002
Firefighter Close Calls Visit My Brigade Page

#3 Guest_Tessaract_*

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:21 AM

true. but i dont really want people to pass them around like candy without knowing something about them before hand, so thought i would completly leave them out. plus to carry all the diffrent brands your gonna be buying like 20 bucks worth of asprin. bout the only time id advise asprin is in case of heart attack. but even then get the dispatchers approval or wait for the paramedic

#4 User is offline   paintball valley 

• Nazi Mods 4TL
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:40 AM

View PostTessaract, on May 12 2007, 03:03 AM, said:

Ocean Potion. This stuff is a godsend on pretty much everything, contains aloe vera, tea tree extract and lidocaine, that lidocaine is wonderfull. This stuff is great for sunburns, scrapes, posion plants, insect bites, pretty much any minor skin irritations you run into.

Excellent choice, have had this stuff used on me, and its great for those scrapes and cuts that never seem to stop stinging.

Hydrogen Peroxide for sterilizing small scrapes and other minor lacerations.

90% iso alcohol -same reason as the hydrogen peroxide.(though i perfer the HP)

Triple Antibiotic ointment - contains polymyxin b sulfate. bacitracin zinc neomycin base and pramoxine To be used after sterlizing and before bandage. for minor scrapes, burns and small cuts.

Bandaids. to protect the wound from infections.

All must haves for any "first aid kit"

Medical skin tape -works like bandaids but cheap and on a roll. also good for sprains. (WARNING: be very carefull on some of the skintapes. i have used some that litteraly ripped off some of my skin. ill show you the scar sometime. get the kind thats purpose is to be a bandaid)

Gotta be careful with this stuff too. Personally, the only tape that doesn't irritate my skin is the micropore tape; no durapore or medipore.

Icyhot/Active-on. contains. /methyl salicylate, menthol.for muscle pains, cramps, sprains and bruises.

Mercuroclear - its like antibiotic and the ocean potion. it contains ALOT more lidocaine (2.5% compared to .5%) and also contains benzalkonium chloride. mostly use this for severe insect stings, like wasps.

not familiar with these but they sound good to me.

Other things i carry, not a first aid, more of preventive measure are sunblock and deet (insect repellent).

things i reccomend NOT carrying are any asprins. anyone can have an alergy to anything, even some of the simple things i listed like neosporin(triple antibotic ointment) but its rarer, and the person you are treating should know if there alergic or not, however asprin alot more people have alergic reactions to and you should not give them to someone less your positive they are not alergic to it. also they may be fine with some but have a severe reaction to another. for instance they may be fine taking tylenol but cannot take advil. so just leave that at home

Im sure your thinking. this is all basic stuff, anyone can get these OTC at the counter. well thats the point, to have simple first aid things, anything worse than a few simple cuts and scrapes and posionous plants or insects your not going to be able to treat on the feild anyways and need to call the ambulance. i cant tell you how to fix a broken leg over the internet and thats not something you want to do on the feild

but thankfully most injurys are minor like this and any idiot can fix em. so there you go. hope that helps in building your own first aid kit. accidents do happen. mine is still growing and open to suggestions on what to put in mine. (you can add a snakebite kit to yours if you want but in all honestly there basicly a marketing gimmic)

All true! Even if someone is hurt badly you will want to get EMTs on the way and make your best effort to stop any bleeding. I like to have some extra gauze and such to ensure I can. Some wounds may look bad but are really manageable, unless I can see muscle fibers I will send the on there way after I've stopped the bleeding, dressed the wound and wrapped it. I can't do stitches in the field let the EMTs do that.

non-latex gloves (2 pair) simply a must if you have to touch a bloody wound; A MUST!!!
4x4" gauze pads (4-6)
2" rolled gauze (2) both of these; cause sometimes a bandaid just won't cut it.
scissors; to cut the gauze
alcohol wipes are also nice for cleaning the area around a wound, if need be.
coflex; it's a strechy self sticking medical tape. Becareful if you use this as you can cut off circulation if it is wrapped too tightly. I use it to completely cover a dressing. it create an additional barrier from dirt, as well as helps keep the dressing in place. I bring (3) 2" rolls, and have gone trough them all in a day, great stuff I love it.

Last but not least... a plastic bag? come on at least a CD folder without the pages. Personally I use my CamelBak Ambush pak it has all my first aid stuff in it and extra water. It's a bit awkward but I get it over my vest, and it's worth it if I safe someones life.

This post has been edited by paintball valley: 13 May 2007 - 05:16 AM

If you can't hit him in 3 shots... You are probably in the way of someone who can... MOVE!!!
If Nikola Tesla had invented a paintball marker it would have been an electro-pnuematic.
"Every facet, every department of your mind needs to be programed by you, and unless you accept your rightful responsibility and begin to program your own mind; the world will program it for you." - Evil Nine: "Cake Hole" (possibly sampled from Timothy Leary)

...Fat chicks need love too, but they gotta pay. - Glen Quagmire

#5 Guest_Tessaract_*

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

lol iknow, i gotta get something better but really, everything is pretty much sealed, bout the only thing that isnt is the medical tape, and i dont really use it on open sores, if nothing eles ill take a cloth, rinse it and tape it onto a wound, but yeah i forgot the gloves and need to get those things. mind if i add them up onto my list?

im sure you have heard of icyhot, or another product like it. benHAPPY SKIPPING JOYFUL PERSON, muscle rub, deep heat, tiger balm. its all pretty much the same thing. i just listed icyhot to list the drugs in it as im not sure if the other products carry the same ingredients but they all do the same thing, there great on sprains and sore muscles, my legs and shoulders are always sore after a game. though im trying to find a less smelly one to use, these things stink. make ya smell like a giant candy cane. but they do work lol. get those muscles back into action for next respawn

This post has been edited by Tessaract: 13 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

#6 User is offline   Rogue_Sniper 

• Scav
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Rogue_Sniper

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

actually whenever i go paintballin i always bring a first aid kit with gause pads and rolls cause people seem to slip and fall and slice themselve open on thorns or rocks or w/e, and neosporin is always good unless u wanna keeps those nice scars(but i doubt it)

:: also for personal use only if you have alergies sinec it is the summer you might wanna bring some sort of allergy medicine(eye drops, nasal spray, pills.. ect)

Now you see me... Now your out

#7 User is offline   MommyDawg 

• I am MEAN!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MommyDawg

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:23 PM

Don't forget a roll of 3" Ace wrap for sprains.

I would also suggest that anyone playing an extreme sport contact the Red Cross and get a basic certification in first aid and CPR. Hopefully you will never need it but just in case it is better to have it than wait for the EMT's. It will help in all aspects of your life not just on the field.

For allergies such as bee stings (I have an severe anaphylactic reation meaning I will stop breathing if I don't get an injection) make sure you tell someone that you have such a reaction and if you have an epi pen. Incase you need it someone will be able to give it to you. For minor reactions always have some oral benadryl on hand. Also the benadryl creme is great for bites and stings.

If you have allergies write them down and carry it with you! Also give a copy to a friend in case you are unconcious. That way the EMTs will know and so will anyone treating you. Same with allergies to medications, always have it written down and on you someplace.

Again please if you can take the basic first aid and CPR classes at the Red Cross! They are cheap and someday you can save a life!

#8 Guest_Tessaract_*

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:52 PM

edit: sorry. i ment to put this at the top

This post has been edited by Tessaract: 17 May 2007 - 09:13 AM

#9 User is offline   Jonas 

• Woodsball? Sounds fun.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:H

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

It would probally be best if you also carried the following: (Excuse me if they are already said above)

A cold wrap pack: Great to cool someone down if they suffer from heat exaustion. It's summer, dont forget
A few bottles of water: You should be bringing these anyways, but if you need to rinse off a cut, get something out of someones eye, or rehydrate someone, makes water bottles a must have.
A bottle of rubbing alchohol: It was already said, but it is a second must-have for ANY med-kit after water. It does a great job of killing bacteria or germs that could leave a nasty infection.
Those germ-treatment bandaids: They are these fairly new band-aids that have some type of neosporin concoction in them that kill germs on the cut. Ditch the regular bandaids and get these instead.
A venom sucker: The name of them skipped my mind, but if you are playing woodsball and someone gets bitten by a snake or spider or something poisonous, it's probally best to have one of these handy, just incase you can't get to a hospital in time.
An emergency cell phone: Some wireless companies have offers on phones that are for emergencies so they have a certain amount of minutes on them for an emergency situation for a low price. Great for if you are far from a phone.

It's best to be prepared. You never know what could happen.
Yeah I use an M-16 grip, wanna fight about it?

Best webcomic ever.

#10 User is offline   MommyDawg 

• I am MEAN!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MommyDawg

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:34 PM

Also NEVER EVER EVER!! Suck the poison out of a snake bite. If you have just a small sore inside your mouth or irritated gums the poison will enter your system as well. Keep the part of the body lower than the rest of the body and get help IMMEDIATELY.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users