Special Ops Paintball: Flex-8 FULLCOVER review. - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Flex-8 FULLCOVER review. Its a Flex-8 Fullcover review!

#1 User is offline   flyingbrick 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:flyingbrick

Post icon  Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:39 AM

There isn't much on the net about these masks so figure its up to me...... Mr Informative.

I bought the Flex-8 fullcover for a few reasons.
-It looks the dogs balls (good, haha)
-I'd been told that its lower venting is best in the business.
-it gives me full head protection.

I purchased the mask from a store here in New Zealand ( kiwipaintball ) was expecting black/Grey but instead got camo :) which suits me better anyhow since woodsball is cool and speedball sucks. This mask looks simply fantastic.
There are two stickers on the lens. One tells me that i have a Thermal Lens, the other confirms that im holding THE MOST COMFORTABLE GOGGLE SYSTEM IN THE WORLD!.............But they would say that.

Ok- time to get organized.

Posted Image

I GOT MAIL

It came in a nice black cloth (microfibre?) bag; devoid of any of its original JT packaging if there is any. The mask does not come with any cleaning cloths or fluid.

The instructions were hanging from its strap on a little plastic tie thing and are reasonably disappointing. Lens removal (for example) is discussed briefly but crucial steps seem to be missing.

HOWS IT LOOK?
The camo print on this mask is amazing. Who needs this modge podge stuff!!. The mask seems to be made to a very high standard. It just looks ANGRY and like it means business. You put this mask on and look like a hunter. People can tell that you just wanna gas up and cap some butt. You wont be mistaken for a praying mantis or flyman while wearing this mask ( its a real risk while wearing the bubble lens masks, haha)

Posted Image

HOWS IT FIT?
As the name would suggest- its actually quite a flexible mask. The straps pull the sides in and it absolutely hugs your skull. The head strap has a cool rubbery plastic non-slip squiggle on its back.

My ears don't hang down much past the mask despite what others have said- but I have a small head and cant help but wonder what the designers were smoking. An extra 10mm of "hang" there would hardly have broken the bank!.

Posted Image

Why did this not come with foam ear padding? Do they normally? Its not as bad as i originally thought ( ive been wearing the mask around the house) but its still slightly awkward having your ears against a fairly hard plastic surface.

With the exception made above, the mask is VERY comfortable. The rear plastic piece (between strap and head) distributes strap pressure evenly over the rear of your head while also providing lots of cover should you be running from an angry man with an RT.

The foam seals well against my face and is nice and soft though i feel it could do with being thicker- especially along the lower edge.

Posted Image

The front lower portion of the mask hangs down much lower than with other masks and i feel it lends good protection to the neck area. It seems to be a much "longer" mask than many others on the market!.

(im going really REALLY fast in this photo)
Posted Image

THE LENS

Visibility is excellent. I don't feel like i need a larger lens or like I'm missing out on any peripheral vision.

Lens removal is always apparently considered somewhat a black art with this mask. Since writing this review a few hours ago I've had the lens out and put it back in. Its not really that hard once you know what you are doing- and i still am not totally sure that the procedure i used is correct but thats the instructions fault. You have to push/pull out a few soft pins around the nose and after that its pretty easy.

VENTILATION

Lower ventilation for your mouth/nose is EXCELLENT. While out PB shooting with my workmates a few weeks ago half of us felt like we were suffocating in our own hot CO2. Ew. The lower portion of the mask is all slots and fins- they could not have done any better or cut any more slots and i do not understand why so many other manufacturers insist on a solid lower shell with minimal venting.

The rear helmet portion of the mask sits up off the surface of my head (around 10mm) and is covered in vents like the front. I do not believe that this would add any noticeable heat during play as others have suggested from assumption.

The Flex-8's goggle design makes limited sense to me. There are ventilation holes molded into the top and bottom of the lens surround which would give adequate ventilation via convection (and even better with pull through fans) IF the bottom holes were not completely covered and blocked by the lower half of the mask. There is a groove below the lens in the mask bottom section which can easily be modified to give this ventilation and i imagine that was the grooves unrealized purpose. If anyone dose have fog problems and would like this explained properly with photos I'll create a mod thread.

CONCLUSION

Despite the points listed above I really like this mask. Somehow the pro's manage to outweigh the con's but thats a personal choice which you all need to make- personally.

The Good:
-Looks bloody awesome.
-Comes in fantastic camo print.
-Very comfortable
-provides protection for your whole head

The Bad
-Put some foam in there. Ears on plastic hurt!
-It appears that they have messed up the lower goggle ventilation holes. If my mask fogs i'll modify it.
-The instructions SUCK.
-The lens change system is difficult. There is no reason why it had to be like this!. (Youtube has videos showing lens removal I'm now told)
-The helmet doesn't actually have removable rear panels so you can not use the mask as a normal Flex-8. I'm sure it would be possible however to remove the plastic pins and replace them with clips of some kind :-)

I WILL UPDATE THIS AFTER NEXT WEEKENDS WOODSBALL GAME! Its humid here in NZ and is quite cold at the moment- so will be a real test for its thermal lens.

This post has been edited by flyingbrick: 08 June 2007 - 03:24 AM

#2 User is offline   paintball valley 

• Nazi Mods 4TL
  • PipPip

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:49 AM

I've been considering a pair of these lately. Some of the places I play tend to be on the rough side. And, you are correct there aren't alot of quality reviews of them around the net. Thanks for this review it was helpful to me.

I'm curious, how protective do you feel the headshell is? If you where to trip and hit your head on a log or rock; could this gear be the difference between a skull fracture and a bad headache?

Is there room inside to place so weather stripping foam insulation around the ears for padding?

Looking forward to your update of them their ingame performance.

thanks again
If you can't hit him in 3 shots... You are probably in the way of someone who can... MOVE!!!
If Nikola Tesla had invented a paintball marker it would have been an electro-pnuematic.
"Every facet, every department of your mind needs to be programed by you, and unless you accept your rightful responsibility and begin to program your own mind; the world will program it for you." - Evil Nine: "Cake Hole" (possibly sampled from Timothy Leary)

...Fat chicks need love too, but they gotta pay. - Glen Quagmire

#3 User is offline   flyingbrick 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

Hey boe :-D

I'd never rely on this to prevent any kinda head injury from anything except paintballs- but there is room and im sure you could line it with thin high density foam which would provide some amount of protection from knocks.

Be aware of the fact that the helmet is soft like the mask itself- its NOT a rigid helmet.

i'm gone for the next 5 days :-D flying by heli into a mountain range and shooting deer (hopefully) for 5 nights.

have fun!

-Nathan

#4 User is offline   aRabidLunatic 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:aRabidLunatic

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:24 PM

View Postpaintball valley, on Jun 8 2007, 10:49 AM, said:

I'm curious, how protective do you feel the headshell is? If you where to trip and hit your head on a log or rock; could this gear be the difference between a skull fracture and a bad headache?

Yeah, I was wondering too. Could you go outside and give us a video demonstration of you falling down on a rock? Then describe how comfortable it between a scale of 1-11.

#5 User is offline   xscout 

• Texas OPFOR Team Leader
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:xscout

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

Hows the airflow on this thing? How hot does your head get?
The reason I ask is I'm in Houston, and thinking about getting one, but the heat and humidity down here can mean a thermal lens AND a fan at times...but after a n00b unloaded a stream of balls into the back of my head at pointblank range while hiding in the same bunker, having some insurance on the 'ol bean might be in order.

#6 User is offline   flyingbrick 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:10 AM

View Postxscout, on Jun 16 2007, 01:07 PM, said:

Hows the airflow on this thing? How hot does your head get?
The reason I ask is I'm in Houston, and thinking about getting one, but the heat and humidity down here can mean a thermal lens AND a fan at times...but after a n00b unloaded a stream of balls into the back of my head at pointblank range while hiding in the same bunker, having some insurance on the 'ol bean might be in order.

i haven't yet played a game in the thing but have worn it for a few hours around the house :dodgy: and i don't think ventilation could be better.

Ive adjusted the thing and wear it with the helmet a mm or two off the surface of my skull- i HATE hats and tend to get an itchy hot head very quickly. the helmet bit is covered in the same vents as the rest of the mask- i think this and the normal flex8 are probably some of the most heavily vented masks ever sold :).

-Nathan

#7 User is offline   Splat Pack 

• merc for hire
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:daddysmut

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:42 AM

a friend of mine just picked one of these up and i got to try it on. it's very light and soft which makes it insanely comfortable.

#8 User is offline   Coaxe 

• The Paintballer's breakfast: ham, hash browns, and an egg.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Coaxe

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:42 AM

Although I own a proflex now, I used to own one of those. Great mask, and nice review. BTW my name's Nathan too.

My Feedback Smart Parts Ion Owner #45
98 Custom: $100. 98 Flatline: $50. A kid with a rental coming up to you and telling you "nice shotgun": Priceless.

#9 User is offline   Reaper1717 

• ^da eVil leMon^
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Reaper1717

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

Nice review, and great mask, I've owned mine for a year. I have it in black/gray because they didn't offer the camo back when i got it. And my biggest gripe with it is that it kind of hurts your ears after awhile because it's just plastic there. The foam is also very comfortable and the thermal lens has kept it from fogging when most other people on the field couldn't see a thing. It offers good protection for your head, and isn't hot in the least bit, but it will NOT protect you from anything much worse than a paintball. The field of view is great and overall its a pretty good mask. The only bad in my opinion is the ear problem, and the lens is a pain to change out.
IPB Image

#10 User is offline   flyingbrick 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Post icon  Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:23 PM

View Postdaddysmut, on Jun 16 2007, 11:42 PM, said:

it's very light and soft which makes it insanely comfortable.

I agree :)

View PostCoaxe, on Jun 17 2007, 01:42 AM, said:

Although I own a proflex now, I used to own one of those. Great mask, and nice review. BTW my name's Nathan too.

Its so hard to find a good Nathan these days :wacko:

View PostReaper1717, on Jun 17 2007, 06:57 AM, said:

Nice review, and great mask, I've owned mine for a year. I have it in black/gray because they didn't offer the camo back when i got it. And my biggest gripe with it is that it kind of hurts your ears after awhile because it's just plastic there. The foam is also very comfortable and the thermal lens has kept it from fogging when most other people on the field couldn't see a thing. It offers good protection for your head, and isn't hot in the least bit, but it will NOT protect you from anything much worse than a paintball. The field of view is great and overall its a pretty good mask. The only bad in my opinion is the ear problem, and the lens is a pain to change out.

Ive got a roll of self adhesive foam here made for sealing door frames and stuff like that- it should do the trick :dodgy:
I'm also going to remove all of the aluminum rivets and replace with zipties to add some extra adjustment to the helmet- and it will let me quickly convert it to normal flex-8 spec if ever i need.

-Nathan

#11 User is offline   Ningasquirrel 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

Got the Flex 8 Full coverage about a month ago. Only used it once so far, but out of the four other masks I'ved used it is by far the most comfortable. I like that the weight of the mask is on my head and not on the bridge of my nose. I took two shots to the head. One on top and one to the goggle. Didn't feel a thing. Just wish it came down lower over the ears. The JT USA Elite Full Coverage Headshield Mask does come down over the ears more, but it only has 180 degree goggles and it's a harder plastic. The 260 degree goggle is much better on the Flex 8

This post has been edited by Ningasquirrel: 28 December 2007 - 10:57 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users