Special Ops Paintball: Playing woodsball with a speedball gun - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing woodsball with a speedball gun Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   GHILLIESNIPES 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:10 AM

I only go out twice maybe three times a month, i was wondering if you really need a-5s or 98s to play a position like sniper, or medium riflemen.

#2 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:06 AM

No, you don't. Practically any marker will work for any position.

There are exceptions though, like the Hammer. I don't care how good you are with a Phantom, a pump just can't play Hammer. The Double trouble is another... Not exactly sniper friendly.

The biggest differences in the other positions though is the amount of paint and type of tactics they use.

The only reason people use the mil-sim style markers (Tippmann, BT, Rap4, Tiberius) is the styling. Woodsball let's people relive a little bit of their childhood (or expand it, depending on the players age) by letting them run around playing "army" again. Using a marker though beat the hell out of using a stick and yelling "BANG! I got you!"

As for the whether or not speedball markers stick out in the woods is still debatable. I think it's more the tactics and cover the person uses that determines if the marker stands out.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#3 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:09 AM

No. You do not need any specific gun to play medium rifleman. Sniper is a different story, but depends on how you play it. Pretty much you want a gun that feels comfortable, works reliably, and shoots consistently. The barrel can have an effect, and if you dont have to use FPO, going with better paint will make the balls fly better. Accuracy is up to you and your familiarity with the marker.

I would actually recommend a speedball-style gun for something like medium/light rifleman. I thought my A5 would be all i need, and in some respects it was. But when i first played with my Ion, i loved having the ability to lay that much more paint. Because electros use a regulator, they can me much more consistent and thus predictable for first shot accuracy, and are also more efficient.

Sniper is a different story. If youre into the long range, single shot thing, then you must look into a First Strike capable marker. The advantage is undeniable, but beware of FPO rules, and playing with a mag. Otherwise, a "sniper" marker is just an ordinary marker that you make accurate by practice and care of the gun. If youre looking for a little more range, an APEX or a Flatline doesnt hurt either.
2 Samuel 22

#4 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

First, welcome aboard.

Second:

Play with what you enjoy using and forget about who says you need what.

If you have a Tippmann and like it, fine. If you want an electro, use it.

I personally use a dichotomy of pumps and electros. Your results may vary.

Lastly, don't worry about positions. It's just marketing anyway. Go out and see what comes naturally to you. Don't tell yourself "I'm going to be a <position>." Just see what comes out on its own and have fun.
Member of Team Akkadian

#5 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:19 AM

Agreed with the above.

The positions are meant to be tools, not hard and fast dictates. It's a tool for you to use developing your skills. If you choose to specialize as a dagger for a period of time, you'll be working on movement, flushing snipers, and snap- shooting. If you then decide to practice hammer skills, you'll do best to work on effective suppression and communication.

Beyond that, it's also meant to be a tool for walk-on games. Rather than figuring out everybodies strengths and abilities, I can walk up to whoever is leading our team and say "I play dagger, where do you want me?". In those five seconds he knows I'll be an aggressive front runner who he should team up with a gunner to watch my back and keep heads down when I move. But I I want to take it slower next game, and lay some more paint, no reason I can't switch to playing a saber or broadsword style.

My two cents
Lo

#6 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:39 AM

View PostLomarandil, on 03 November 2010 - 09:19 AM, said:

Agreed with the above.

The positions are meant to be tools, not hard and fast dictates. It's a tool for you to use developing your skills. If you choose to specialize as a dagger for a period of time, you'll be working on movement, flushing snipers, and snap- shooting. If you then decide to practice hammer skills, you'll do best to work on effective suppression and communication.

Beyond that, it's also meant to be a tool for walk-on games. Rather than figuring out everybodies strengths and abilities, I can walk up to whoever is leading our team and say "I play dagger, where do you want me?". In those five seconds he knows I'll be an aggressive front runner who he should team up with a gunner to watch my back and keep heads down when I move. But I I want to take it slower next game, and lay some more paint, no reason I can't switch to playing a saber or broadsword style.

My two cents
Lo

I wish it were that easy with walk-on, but I like that idea :)

#7 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

If I asked walk on players what position they played, or even guys that play scenario all the time I wouldn't get that kind of an answer..

As far as needing a woodsball gun, there really is no need. The only real point behind them is to have a military feel, which is pretty cool. But a speedball gun is just as effective at taking someone out, and in some cases they are better quality. But that's not something that needs to be argued about.
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#8 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:59 AM

Get a speedball gun. It'll be lighter, quieter, faster, and more versatile in general. You'll be able to play any "position" with a space gun. My biggest recommendation for you though is to completely forget all specops positions. Play and just enjoy, you'll find that the spec ops positions are more marketing than anything else, and that there are only 3 real positions in paintball. Back, mid and front. Back guys dump paint and keep their front players alive. Front players are up front doing most of the killing. Mid does whats necessary, protects the front players, then fills their spot if they get hit. Just play the sport, enjoy it, and you'll naturally all into one of these three positions. Personally, I like being up front shooting people.

If you're worried about it sticking out, they make dust black guns which'll blend just as well as any tippmann, and a lot of guns can also be found in colours like olive.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#9 User is offline   GHILLIESNIPES 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

View PostPuzuma, on 03 November 2010 - 08:06 AM, said:

No, you don't. Practically any marker will work for any position.

There are exceptions though, like the Hammer. I don't care how good you are with a Phantom, a pump just can't play Hammer. The Double trouble is another... Not exactly sniper friendly.

The biggest differences in the other positions though is the amount of paint and type of tactics they use.

The only reason people use the mil-sim style markers (Tippmann, BT, Rap4, Tiberius) is the styling. Woodsball let's people relive a little bit of their childhood (or expand it, depending on the players age) by letting them run around playing "army" again. Using a marker though beat the hell out of using a stick and yelling "BANG! I got you!"

As for the whether or not speedball markers stick out in the woods is still debatable. I think it's more the tactics and cover the person uses that determines if the marker stands out.

Thank you everybody for your help, and this will make me feel more comfortable going to the woodsball field with all those 98s.

#10 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:27 PM

something alot of people get confuzzled about is woodsball and speedball tactics. speedball tactics work very well on a woodsball course but not the opposite way around. however gear itself is irrelevant. if it shoots paint it will shoot players, regardless of wether or not you are surrounded by trees. lol. the difference between the makes of the markers is that speedball markers are made to play tighter for going around corners, where as tippies and other milsim guns are designed more for frontal egagement, hence why they are longer.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#11 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:36 PM

In all the time I've been playing paintball, I've never heard any of the "official spec-ops positions" reffered to on the field. And I play almost exclusively "woodsball". Paintball is just like any other sport/game thing. It always has way more to do with the player than the gear. So wether you recognize the specops postions, don't play usuing "positions" or are using some completely different "positions"; you can do anything you want with anything you want.

If you want to play woodsball I only have two suggestions:
1. Use whatever you want.
2. If you want to go un-noticed I'd go with subdued colors like flat (aka: tactical) black, olive drab or coyote tan. Although the green's will stand out in the desert and vice versa so if you go back and forth I'd recomend just black.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   chinstrap 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kl0wn

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

This was my woodsball gun this year:

Posted Image

One of the regulars' comments to a newer player:

"Be careful of that guy - he shoots a lot of paint and it's accurate."
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:29 AM

May I present Paul(Chippy) and the woodsball Etek:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The DPM paintwork is courtesy of our team mate Mark (MarkFridge)

There is no need to worry about woodsball or speedball games and woodsball or speedball markers, only different styles of play in different venues with a choice of markers.

#14 User is offline   Crenchy 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Crenchy

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:07 AM

hell that's all I really feel comfortable playing with is a "speedball" marker. I tried the whole mil-slim thing for me and just wasn't comfortable. We use the positions as a general guideline to what are individual playing style is. We assign the positions AFTER we have played with said team mate for atleast 5 games. It's just a little quirk we have. That's just us though. Go out and play paintball and have fun, cuze at the end of the day you will have a better time going out and having fun instead of worrying about the little details.

#15 User is offline   stinky 

• Pull My Finger
  • Pip

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

It's easier to play woodsball with a speedball gun than it is to play speedball with a woodsball gun.

Have fun, and just pick up some loose paintballs around you and throw them at somebody.haha

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users