• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

98 Custom keeps chopping? 98 Custom Platinum ACT Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pokeatthedevil 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:43 PM

I have a Tippmann 98 Custom Platinum ACT that likes to chop. I have a J&J ceramic barrel, and have used several different types of balls. I play in cold weather, but my brothers gun does not chop at all (completely stock).

I have a feeling that it is the air pressure, but I do not currently have access to a chronograph. I have chopped 1 and had more get stuck in the barrel behind it. I realize I did not give all information for a proper diagnosis, but I am not sure what information needs to be given.

Thanks for reading!

#2 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

In the barrel BEHIND it...?

Do you mean a chop or a barrel break?

If it's a barrel break, then you might try using winter-specific paint - it has a thicker shell, so it's less likely to be broken when you shoot it.

It might be that the delrin bolt the ACT is hooked into is a bit sharp, and could be smoothed...but that shouldn't be the case.

You should NOT be playing without a chronograph, I should also say - but perhaps if you are shooting at a high velocity in cold weather, that could be contributing to ball breaks.

I never had a chop in mine, but I had a cyclone when I got it so...extremely unlikely to ever occur when I owned it.

#3 User is offline   THUNDR 

• Heavy Metal
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Koos

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:16 AM

Yeah, if you are having barrel breaks and not chops, then it's your paint. Chops are when the bolt crushed paint in the chamber, but barrel breaks are simply paint breaking before it leaves the barrel; sometimes it can be hard to tell. I don't have an ACT but my 98 has never had a problem with chops, even with just shake and bake hoppers.

View PostMarine Scout Sniper, on 24 November 2008 - 06:47 PM, said:

I just try to fulfill what the military conciders when they look for a sniper. ...their major concern is over all accuracy, physical stamina, patience, ability to acquire top secret clearance, and prior experience in paintball and/or hunting...

Gearbag Sale

#4 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

my 98 never chopped but I ran into an issue with barrel breaks that were happening so near the bolt that I thought the same thing. I found out later on that it had to do with the bore size. the paint I was using was just ever so slightly bigger. I got a new barrel a .698 and I've never had an issue since. Just a suggestion, check and see if your paint rolls/slides through the barrel without getting stuck.

#5 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:28 AM

Are you both using:

Same balls?
Same air style?
Same kind of loader?
Same firing mode?

Batteries go weak quickly in the cold.
Is your detent ok or in backwards?
Are you using a cyclone feed?
What mods do you have?

If everything is comparable then first thing I would check is that the casing screws are not too tight and causing resistant to the internal linkage.

#6 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

You know, if NONE of those already listed fix your problem, I've noticed the J&J's can be REEEALLY inconsistent bore size-wise. I have one that's a .690 and another that's like a .685, both the same generic style of barrel. I've heard this from other players as well. You barrel could be extremely small bored, and your paint that much larger, although studies have been shown that you get the same amount of barrel breaks regardless of barrel bore size, it still could be affecting things if the temp. is colder...? Maybe I'm talking out of my butt.....good luck!

-Ty

#7 User is offline   pokeatthedevil 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

View Postslinkyaroo, on 18 January 2011 - 08:28 AM, said:

Are you both using:

Same balls? Yes
Same air style? Yes
Same kind of loader? Yes
Same firing mode? Yes

Batteries go weak quickly in the cold.
Is your detent ok or in backwards? detent?
Are you using a cyclone feed? No
What mods do you have? Polished internals, but it was happening both before and after I did it.

If everything is comparable then first thing I would check is that the casing screws are not too tight and causing resistant to the internal linkage.

How tight should the screws be?
I'll take some calipers to the barrel to check its size.
My brother is using the stock Tippmann barrel.

EDIT:
I measured, and the barrel is .690 and the balls measure to be the same... but when I try to pass them through the barrel, they get stuck badly.

EDIT 2:
Found the problem... the Valken Zing paintballs that I use(used now) are nowhere near round.

This post has been edited by pokeatthedevil: 18 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

#8 User is offline   JaguarShark 

• TOTSUGEKI!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kiriyama9000

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:03 AM

How tight should the screws be?
I'll take some calipers to the barrel to check its size.
My brother is using the stock Tippmann barrel.

EDIT:
I measured, and the barrel is .690 and the balls measure to be the same... but when I try to pass them through the barrel, they get stuck badly.

EDIT 2:
Found the problem... the Valken Zing paintballs that I use(used now) are nowhere near round.

Cool, next time you go out to buy paint, have your brother or whomever chip in and get a handheld chronograph so you're not punching holes into each other and smashing up lenses. You'll also have a smaller chance of breaking paint in the cold.

:tup:
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

View Postkaosukoden, on 18 January 2011 - 08:10 AM, said:

the paint I was using was just ever so slightly bigger. I got a new barrel a .698 and I've never had an issue since.

Unless you were using dimpled paint, having a smaller bore will NOT cause more barrel breaks. I used to use a .679 insert at all times. Never had an issue shooting any of my paint through that, except for dimpled paint in the cold.

By the way... .698 is WAYY too big. Even with a .690 you're overboring most paint.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#10 User is offline   pokeatthedevil 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

View Postd4rkmonkey, on 24 January 2011 - 12:13 AM, said:

the paint I was using was just ever so slightly bigger. I got a new barrel a .698 and I've never had an issue since.

Unless you were using dimpled paint, having a smaller bore will NOT cause more barrel breaks. I used to use a .679 insert at all times. Never had an issue shooting any of my paint through that, except for dimpled paint in the cold.

By the way... .698 is WAYY too big. Even with a .690 you're overboring most paint.

Then please explain to my why my J&J Ceramic barrel broke Valken Zing paint like mad(It even got stuck in the barrel every now and then), but the Visible Impact "Pro" paint I used had no chops or barrel breaks.

#11 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:51 AM

Did you measure the breach side (side that goes into the marker) or the muzzle side (the tip)? The way everything is designed on the 98 the breach side is going to be around .690 to allow the bolt to travel. If you measure at the muzzle or tip then you will get a more accurate reading.

#12 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:50 AM

View Postpokeatthedevil, on 24 January 2011 - 08:40 AM, said:

Then please explain to my why my J&J Ceramic barrel broke Valken Zing paint like mad(It even got stuck in the barrel every now and then), but the Visible Impact "Pro" paint I used had no chops or barrel breaks.

Could have been old paint that absorbed too much moisture (nd so expanded)... if breaks happened consistently with that paint, sure.

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 24 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

#13 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

Some regular paint takes the cold better than others. Try winter paint. It's worth the extra $$$$s

#14 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

View Postpokeatthedevil, on 24 January 2011 - 10:40 AM, said:

Zing was one of the brands of paint i had an issue shooting through an underbored barrel. And all the zing i've ever seen has been horribly dimpled. That would explain why it broke like mad. Also, valken zing in my experience is just crappy paint. I've never shot Visible Impact "pro" paint so i can't comment on that stuff.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users