HPA SAFETY Here is what can happen!!!

#1 User is offline   Mastagunz 

• I like bacon.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:MASTAGUNZ

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

Let me explain what happens:
For a fire to start you need three things: Fuel, Oxygen, Heat (keep these in mind as I continue). When you take air and compress it into a container at high pressures you have a lot of oxygen in a small space, lowering the temperature needed to ignite a fuel source. Have you noticed how hot your tank is after you get it filled? Consider this: that's on the outside of the bottle. In a steel bottle you have about 1/4 inch of steel, that is just the heat that has transfered to the steel (consider the heat conductivity of steel, much lower than other than other metals). Now you have two of the three things you need to create fire. When oil gets in the tank you're 3 for 3, now there is a FIRE inside your tank...even if you knew it was there you couldn't do anything, as soon as the fire ignites the pressure shoots up (this will be a matter of seconds, if not instantly). KA-BOOM!!!

A note about oil:
Oil on the outside of the threads, and is not likely to cause this, but you should still try to avoid it. The problem is where oil gets into the fill nipple, where it is then carried into the tank when you fill your tank. Some people think they are going to avoid maintaince of the reg by dropping the oil into the fill nipple to lubricate the reg (logic being that's recommended with some paintball markers: oil in asa will lubricate the marker) that's when you're in danger. NEVER PUT OIL INTO YOUR FILL NIPPLE!!!

Most paintball oils are synthetics that will not burn but DO NOT take that chance. We don't need any accidents. This will not will happen in co2 tanks because there is no oxygen, actually you have the substance that can choke off fire (and is used in some fire extinguishers). CO2 is also extremely cold, so worst case scenario is that you have 1 of the things you need for fire (fuel) if oil has gotten into the co2 tank.

Another Point I want to make: It doesn't take a big fiery blast to do damage. Just the sudden release of pressure would be a big problem too. Have you ever heard a car or bike tire pop: thats about 50psi. If you're close you can feel it. Now take that sound and feel and multiply by 90. You have injuries (possibly death) and property damage.

HPA SAFETY TIPS:

* Make sure your tank is up to date on Hydro-testing
* DO NOT use a tank out of hydro or a tank that has failed hydro
* Take care of that tank, get a cover or bag for it
* Don't abuse the tank (I.E. drop it, throw it, etc.)
* Visually inspect the outside of the tank for damage
* If you notice damage, STOP USING IT and have it professionally inspected
* Inspect the fill nipple for oil, dirt, debris, etc

HPA is a nice alternative to co2 for winter play or just for better consistancy but with great power comes great responsiblilty. These tanks hold anywhere from 3000-4500psi when full. That amount of air pressure can do a very large amount of damage if your tank isn't cared for. Bottom line: take good care of your gear, it'll take good care of you. Abuse your gear, it'll abuse you.

I AM NOT THE PERSON IN THE PICTURES!!!

-written by Gotpaint92 A50G-

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  12.jpg (19.22K)
    Number of downloads: 40
  • Attached File  13.jpg (22.89K)
    Number of downloads: 25
  • Attached File  14.jpg (22.88K)
    Number of downloads: 23
  • Attached File  15.jpg (17.23K)
    Number of downloads: 10
  • Attached File  16.jpg (25.79K)
    Number of downloads: 13
  • Attached File  17.jpg (22.03K)
    Number of downloads: 44
  • Attached File  18.jpg (15.71K)
    Number of downloads: 33

This post has been edited by Mastagunz: 25 August 2007 - 02:03 PM

I don't have a good sig.

#2 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

Those pictures are unbelievable. Today I noticed that my HPA tank started to get exceptionately hot when I was filling it. At around 2000 psi I stopped because the temperature got so high (still not sure why).

I'm just glad there wasn't any oil around my fill nipple at the time.

#3 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:38 PM

very good, ummmm, post... But didn't someone already post those pictures and make a topic like this?
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   CdnNinja 

• The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

Good post. I saw this on my local feilds forum, grim stuff, not cool beans at all.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:52 PM

View PostSpudCrushr, on Sep 11 2007, 07:38 PM, said:

very good, ummmm, post... But didn't someone already post those pictures and make a topic like this?

This is the only forum where posting something that has been posted before is not neccesarily a bad thing. Apparently, you can never stress safety issues enough. This is especially important because a regular person who has never seen this before would see no harm in putting a drop of oil on a little fill nipple.

On second thought, this should be stickied.

This post has been edited by Philipp122: 21 September 2007 - 01:52 PM

#6 User is offline   Pocket Pool 

• (Not my face.)
  • Pip

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:26 PM

View PostPhilipp122, on Sep 21 2007, 03:52 PM, said:

View PostSpudCrushr, on Sep 11 2007, 07:38 PM, said:

This is the only forum where posting something that has been posted before is not neccesarily a bad thing. Apparently, you can never stress safety issues enough. This is especially important because a regular person who has never seen this before would see no harm in putting a drop of oil on a little fill nipple.

On second thought, this should be stickied.

So, it's safe to put oil in the ASA, just not near the fill nipple? (Sorry, noobish.)

#7 User is offline   ks~gunner 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:44 PM

Great post most people dont realize this they just go around an think nothing of it. Also a thing i dont think that you mentioned is that your air tank will explode and most are made of some sort of metal like steel and when that blows up you have a gernade(basicaly).

#8 User is offline   nuc/et 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:08 AM

Pocket Pool I don't think that putting the oil in the ASA would be a problem but I usually put oil were my hose screw into the gun.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users