• You cannot reply to this topic

How to remove flawed paint job? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NightBlackDelta 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:NightBlackDelta

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

So I have an M16 style foregrip, plastic, that came with my BT4. It was fading, worn unevenly, and so I thought I'd give it a nice spray of semi-gloss black (Replicating the C7A1s I encounter often.) So one half of the foregrip finished nicely. The other... not so much. So I want to strip it down to the plastic and start over. I've tried removing the paint before, but it's pretty hard to sand with a M16 foregrip (All the ridges and corrugated parts), and acetone didn't work very well. My friend may be able to get them sandblasted.. but apart from that, I don't know. Is there a way to strip it down easily and start over? Keep in mind this is plastic with some detail molded into it. (And I'm too poor to get a replacement.)

Thanks.

PS: I used Tremclad (Rustolium) I find that despite being a metal paint, it has good adhesion to plastic, none of this flaking or whatever.

This post has been edited by NightBlackDelta: 07 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

Jesus may have walked on water... But I can run! That's just how epic I am.

#2 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:21 AM

View PostNightBlackDelta, on Mar 8 2009, 04:34 AM, said:

So I have an M16 style foregrip, plastic, that came with my BT4. It was fading, worn unevenly, and so I thought I'd give it a nice spray of semi-gloss black (Replicating the C7A1s I encounter often.) So one half of the foregrip finished nicely. The other... not so much. So I want to strip it down to the plastic and start over. I've tried removing the paint before, but it's pretty hard to sand with a M16 foregrip (All the ridges and corrugated parts), and acetone didn't work very well. My friend may be able to get them sandblasted.. but apart from that, I don't know. Is there a way to strip it down easily and start over? Keep in mind this is plastic with some detail molded into it. (And I'm too poor to get a replacement.)

Thanks.

PS: I used Tremclad (Rustolium) I find that despite being a metal paint, it has good adhesion to plastic, none of this flaking or whatever.

Avoid sandblasting if you are concerned about th platic of the grip. But done carefully it will be fine.

Sand/glass paper it with fine paper to get a decent result. You don't have to remove all of the paint, and rubbing it down will give a good base for the next layer of paint. Ridges etc can be awkward but rub it in variuos directions to cope with the shape.

Thinners - rub it with a rag dipped in an appropriate thinner for the paint. But care has to be taken to ensure the chemicals do not afect the plastic as well.

I would recommend taking your time and rubbing it down.

#3 User is offline   MattRC 

• QCBoss
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:40 AM

is it flaking or what?? if not just paint over it

Deuteronomy 32:41
“Si acuero ut fulgur gladium meum et arripuerit iudicium manus mea, reddam ultionem hostibus meis et his qui oderunt me retribuam”
["When I whet my flashing sword and my hand takes hold in judgment, I shall take vengeance upon mine enemies and I will repay those who hate me"]

Feedback------ http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=167410

#4 User is offline   NightBlackDelta 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:NightBlackDelta

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

Well, the problem with the finish is that it's bumpy and not very even, which means any layer will still look uneven. Plus, the nooks and crannies are filled with paint from overpainting and i have to remove all of this gunk.
Jesus may have walked on water... But I can run! That's just how epic I am.

#5 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

View PostNightBlackDelta, on Mar 8 2009, 07:32 PM, said:

Well, the problem with the finish is that it's bumpy and not very even, which means any layer will still look uneven. Plus, the nooks and crannies are filled with paint from overpainting and i have to remove all of this gunk.

Definately remove the existing paint as above. But note you will get a better finish in the end by not removing all traces of the existing paint.

Rub it down with glass or sandpaper and leave a small amount of the original paint as a base layer.

If there is way too much paint then rub down with various grade of paper. I would avoid rough paper though, and go from medium to fine.

Then repaint slowly in layers.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users