• This topic is locked

Martial Arts

#1 User is offline   TheGhillieMan 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:TheGhillieMan

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

The topic says it all. How many of us are also martial artists? What do you or what have you studied, and for how long? What got you started?

I started off with Shotokan Karate when I was just a kid, but it didn't last long. I got into Taekwondo about 4 or 5 years ago, and I lasted until I found Hapkido. I've been doing Hapkido for 2 years now I think. I want to say three, but the truth is I really don't know. I did a little bit if Judo (it's neat, but it's not for me) and I'm also currently doing Kuhapdo (similar to Japanese Iaido) under my Hapkido instructor.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Soyeahwatsup 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SGTWHITEY

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

Never heard of Kuhapdo. I did 10 years of Tae Kwon Do and then quit to pursue other things like Sea Cadets. I've always wished there would some hand to hand contact in milsim paintball that would be great, dangerous or confusing...or all at the same time

#3 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

I took a few swipes at martial arts while I was coming up through the Academy.... got a pretty good feel for Boxing and ran with that for about a year (I count it, shut up), and took some Aikido as well. We also got some real cursory exposure to some Judo groundwork -- only a couple of lessons, but a crap-ton of fights and they were pretty good. I wanna get into some Hapkido but it's going to have to wait until I get stationed near a dojo.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#4 User is offline   jtpaintball70 

• Stock-Class player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JTPaintball70

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

I started with Shorei-Ryu when I was in Elementary, then moved to Shotokon when in MS. Haven't done it in a while. I think I might start back up when I get a little money
☻/ This is Muhammad.
/▌ 
/ \ Copy and paste him

#5 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

I never liked martial arts much...simply because of the arts part...a bunch of fancy kicks won't save your ass. I did MMA for awhile and liked it a lot but I got injured, and the rules banning certain attacks are simply the best ways to defend yourself. Then I found Krav Maga....I LOVE Krav Maga. Quite simply Krav Maga bases itself on the fact that the best defense is a strong offense. If you are constantly reacting to my attacks, you have no time to form your own. Also it focuses on doing as much damage as fast as possible and focuses on targets generally forbidden in "martial arts" such as the eyes and groin along with the neck and throat.

This post has been edited by HeadshotPhantom: 29 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

#6 User is offline   Fenrisulfr 

• They call me "Opsy."
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackOpsGhost

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

I took Taekwondo when I was about 12 I believe. I quit because it started getting boring. I was twice the size of everyone else there, and the first sparring partner I got was a girl half my size. I was told to spar, and I did. One hit later, she's was crying and I basically quit trying after that. No fun when there's no challenge. When other started catching up to me in size, I was holding back so much that it just wasn't fun anymore. So I quit, got fat, got weak, and now I'm going through some half-assed attempt at losing weight so I can get back into martial arts. Jui Jitsu is what I'm aiming at taking next.
BOG, that was the most annoying thing I have ever had to endure, and I once watched a whole Teletubbies episode. - Hobo
I don't have MAJOR problems. I have minor annoyances that YOU consider major problems.
WARNING: Extreme sarcasm ahead.

#7 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

Jiu-jitsu and Judo are both cool, but they focus too much on their specific principles. Aka grappling/joint manipulation and using your opponents force against him.

#8 User is offline   gettinback 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:19 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on Apr 29 2010, 08:56 PM, said:

Jiu-jitsu and Judo are both cool, but they focus too much on their specific principles. Aka grappling/joint manipulation and using your opponents force against him.

I took Tae Kwon Do for about 5 years when I was younger, have done some Thai Boxing and Sayoc classes in person. Taught some kids classes for awhile.

Following dvds I have done some systema, krav maga, Dog Brothers - Die less often, and F.I.G.H.T - Fierce Israeli Guerilla Tactics

#9 User is offline   evillepaintball 

• You won't do it! You ain't crazy!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sunshine ac-05

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on Apr 29 2010, 08:39 PM, said:

I never liked martial arts much...simply because of the arts part...a bunch of fancy kicks won't save your ass. I did MMA for awhile and liked it a lot but I got injured, and the rules banning certain attacks are simply the best ways to defend yourself. Then I found Krav Maga....I LOVE Krav Maga. Quite simply Krav Maga bases itself on the fact that the best defense is a strong offense. If you are constantly reacting to my attacks, you have no time to form your own. Also it focuses on doing as much damage as fast as possible and focuses on targets generally forbidden in "martial arts" such as the eyes and groin along with the neck and throat.

You should probably review the arts you are bashing before bashing them. You are confusing the sport aspects of the arts with the actual arts. For example, Hapkido has several strikes that are specifically designed to strike the eyes and throat. Also, the notion that the best defense is a good offense is retarded, unless you plan to just go around knocking out everyone you come in contact with as soon as they are close enough.

As for my martial arts experience, I have a black belt in American Shotokan, and have trained in traditional shotokan, jiu jitsu, hapkido, boxing, and recently took up fencing, if you count that.
"it just doesnt look cool unless you're riding a yamazuki zx1200rrr" - C9H13NO3

#10 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

I believe in violence of action. Intense, powerful, fast attacks focused on the weakest areas. Take your opponent down as fast as possible. If you are defending attacks you are reacting. You want to be acting. This basis of hand to hand has worked for special forces for generations...I lean more towards their teachings because they are simple and effective.

#11 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:29 AM

Everybody else uses Aikido and joint manipulation though.... I mean, everybody. Cops, marines, army, bouncers, MMA.... there's science behind it.
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#12 User is offline   Fenrisulfr 

• They call me "Opsy."
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackOpsGhost

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:39 AM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on Apr 29 2010, 09:56 PM, said:

I know. That's exactly what I want to do. I like grappling.
BOG, that was the most annoying thing I have ever had to endure, and I once watched a whole Teletubbies episode. - Hobo
I don't have MAJOR problems. I have minor annoyances that YOU consider major problems.
WARNING: Extreme sarcasm ahead.

#13 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

Well with the military there's non-lethal/non-compliance and lethal techniques. But when your life depends on it, I know the Marine Corps., the SEALs, and Force Recon/MARSOC all rely on violence of action and incapacitating their enemy as quickly, and with as little energy as possible.

#14 User is offline   evillepaintball 

• You won't do it! You ain't crazy!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sunshine ac-05

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

Headshot, my point was that defense is useful if you get attacked first. If you get jumped and can't defend, you're screwed. So unless you are going to just knock out everyone you see before they can attack you, you need defense.
"it just doesnt look cool unless you're riding a yamazuki zx1200rrr" - C9H13NO3

#15 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

View Postevillepaintball, on Apr 30 2010, 04:27 PM, said:

Headshot, my point was that defense is useful if you get attacked first. If you get jumped and can't defend, you're screwed. So unless you are going to just knock out everyone you see before they can attack you, you need defense.

To add -- and unless you're planning on killing everyone you meet in a more-literal-than-usual way, you probably shouldn't fall back on killing power as your saving grace. Jiu Jutsu/Aikido/Judo are more versatile and more applicable to real-life situations, IMHO.

This post has been edited by MurderDeathKill: 30 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users