Special Ops Paintball: How do you correctly fill a CO2 cylinder? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you correctly fill a CO2 cylinder?

#1 User is offline   Schwimmy 

• Yes, that is my Phantom on my back.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Schwimmy

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:45 AM

I don't see an obvious thread about it here, and I did a search a while ago without results, so I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to give me some instructions.

Thanks, Schwimmy
Triad Infinite Scenario Squad

Sponsored by www.ANSgear.com

#2 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:24 PM

Depends slightly on the setup

Make sure bulk CO2 is strapped down, and a siphon tank.

Screw in CO2 tank. If it's fairly full, purge it all slowly. Too fast and dry ice will form, and you'll overfill. If it's mostly empty, purge it all quickly to chill the tank. If it's brand new or completely empty, fill a tiny bit and purge it.

Place tank on the scale, and zero the scale. Open the fill valve, and fill the tank, watching the scale. Fill a 3.5 or 4 ounce tank to 3 ounces, or 3.5 ounces, maybe a bit more if you want. 9 ounce to 8-8.5 ounce or so, 12 ounce to 11 or so, etc. Just leave a little room at the top, basically. If you're using a cheap, or non digital scale, leave more room. For your first fills, too, leave extra room until you get the feel for how fast it fills and everything. Some will say to leave more room, the guideline I give is typically the minimum amount of safety buffer I recommend. Shut off fill valve.

If possible, turn off the tank (like if your fill station has an on/off style asa for the tank) and purge the line. If you can't purge the line, just unscrew the tank.

If the tank is having trouble reaching full fill, you can shake it a bit. Usually it's just not cold enough or your bulk tank is empty. If it's not cold enough, you can purge a little more CO2 to chill it, then continue filling. You won't even need to reset the scale.

If the tank was new and needed a fill to purge a bit, you can put it on the scale, zero it, and usually filling one ounce for a 12-16 ounce tank is sufficient, bit more or less for 20 or 9 ounce tanks. Purge that air for the chilling. Then fill as needed. I usually just kinda do that by feel, if I need to add a bit of air to purge

While scales are safer and generally recommended, they're not typically necessary. The pressure in the small tank won't ever really get to be higher while filling than the bulk tank. The issue is that the small tank is colder, so when it warms back up, it gets to higher pressures. If you start using the tank right away, while it's still chilled, you'll usually use any air that would cause overpresuring before the tank has a chance to really warm up.

Not recommended, but in a pinch, if you forgot your scale at home or something, it's better to know how to still fill and prevent a bad situation than to just guess and have a burst disc blow while your marker is shouldered, know what I mean?

This post has been edited by aqua_scummm: 26 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

#3 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

Schwimmy - what kit do you have?

You need a bulk syphonning CO2 tank.
Fill station.
Scale. (PMI scales are great but hanging fish scales are ok. Table scales suck.)

#4 User is offline   Aussie_bloke 

• Team Section 8
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Aussie_bloke

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:53 PM

i would strongly recommend you go down to your local field and politely ask if they could show you how it is done, so you dont kill/ hurt yourself or others.

the best way to learn how to do it correctly is to be shown how its done, observe how its done talking through the steps then doing it yourself under supervision.

i learnt how to do it working for fields, and now i still get called on by the field operator to fill bottles if all the referees are on the field and they are desperate!!
dont make people a priority, who are only making you an option

#5 User is offline   Schwimmy 

• Yes, that is my Phantom on my back.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Schwimmy

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:52 AM

We have a 75lb tank, and we are in the process of acquiring a dual valve filling apparatus. We have a state licensed digital fishing scale (we also do 4-H fishing competitions).

Thanks.
Triad Infinite Scenario Squad

Sponsored by www.ANSgear.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users