Special Ops Paintball: Apology Law - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apology Law Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:08 PM

I guess Ontario just passed an apology law. So there's British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and now Ontario with it.

What is it? ..... Basically it's the ability to apology to someone without that apology being an admission of guilt or submissible as evidence in the future. By apologizes you have not accepted liablity. This includes apologies in a court house or after an accident.

Finally.

This post has been edited by slinkyaroo: 11 March 2009 - 01:09 PM

#2 User is offline   Epic_Fail 

• The Mad King
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:*hug*

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

I really sorry for all my dual accounts. I'm sure my alter ego puzuma (alternate account #1) will agree.

Once again, sorry!

:D couldn't resist..
How'd you do that, sexy? - Becc asking me a question.

Aaron: Alcohol sucks balls. / Fen: No, that's what I do. / Me - Fen sucks balls! / Fen - Only yours Epic.

#3 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:12 PM

Uh... So I go and rob a bank. I go to court and tell them I'm sorry I robbed the bank, basically admitting I did it. And the courts CAN'T use it against me in a case? Something seems wrong about that....
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#4 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

haha and Puzuma is already in here Epic.
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#5 User is offline   Tora 

• Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

I don't like it.
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!

#6 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

View PostPuzuma, on Mar 11 2009, 04:12 PM, said:

Uh... So I go and rob a bank. I go to court and tell them I'm sorry I robbed the bank, basically admitting I did it. And the courts CAN'T use it against me in a case? Something seems wrong about that....

Agreed.
Alea iacta est ~ The board is set, the pieces are moving.
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#7 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Yo dawg, me and my homies are sorry for bustin a cap in yo house and accidently killing your entire family; we thought you was a Crip, didn't know you was just wearing a blue bandana. Also, yo honor I like to plead not guilty.
Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT

#8 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

I guess its the thought that counts. :P
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#9 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

correct. They'll still investigate things but that is not an admission. I'm not sure on what Ontario has since it just came over the NEWS but....

Apology Acts - Saying ‘Sorry’ Without Incurring Liability (November 19, 2006): “The province of Saskatchewan will amend its Evidence Act to allow individuals and corporations to offer a sincere apology as part of their dispute resolution process without fear of legal liability… the provincial Justice Minister is quoted as saying: ‘Within legal parameters, I think individuals are very concerned about saying anything that might cause them some legal liabilities and we want to clarify that for people(…) We believe that this will allow matters of dispute between citizens to be resolved, in many cases without a lawsuit. Because sometimes it’s not the financial compensation, it’s the desire for restoration, for an apology, for an acknowledgment that somebody was hurt’.”

#10 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

View PostAshrak, on Mar 11 2009, 01:14 PM, said:

Agreed.

True...in criminal cases. It makes a great deal of sense from a CIVIL LAW standpoint though.
For example:
Many years ago I worked in a bookstore at a mall. It was company policy that if a customer was injured in the store for any reason, no matter who was at fault, that employeees were not to apologize in any way - not even a courtesey "sorry 'bout that" - on grounds that such a statement could leave the company exposed to liabilty in case of a lawsuit...since apologizing is considered an admission of responsibility. Under CA law at the time, if a customer triped on their own shoes & fell into a shelf, WE could be held liable.
Very silly...

I hope thats what this law is intended for.

#11 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:29 PM

But you just know Defense Attorney's are going to try and weasle this in to Criminal Law.

Summertime Blues

#12 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:31 PM

I read that 30 US states already have this law.

#13 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

Really? Did it say if it is applicable only to Civil Law, or can it it be used in Criminal Law as well?

Summertime Blues

#14 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

http://www.thestar.com/article/600490

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Ontario has passed legislation that will allow people to say sorry without fear of having it turned against them in court.

Under the new rules, apologies can't be used as an admission of fault or liability and won't affect someone's insurance coverage.

The governing Liberals say fewer people apologize because they're afraid it could come back to haunt them if they are sued.

British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba have similar apology laws, and 35 U.S. states have some form of apology legislation.

The Ontario government says the bill will help speed up healing and reconciliation by allowing people to acknowledge when they've harmed someone.

But opposition critics say the bill could pose legal questions, trivialize apologies, and make things even harder for victims.

Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#15 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

As I read more into it .... it seems to be a civil law protection thing. It was just realised on the radio today.

Ontario proposes new 'sorry' law
Posted: October 07, 2008, 4:15 PM by Ron Nurwisah
Canada
The Ontario government is trying to make saying sorry just a little bit easier by introducing legislation that would make it possible for people and groups to apologize without it being used as evidence of liability in legal disputes.

From the press release:The Apology Act would, if passed:
- Allow individuals and organizations, such as hospitals and other public institutions, to apologize for an accident or wrongdoing, without it being used as evidence of liability in a civil legal proceeding under provincial law
- Help victims by acknowledging that harm has been done to them - an apology is often key to the healing process
- Promote accountability, transparency and patient safety by allowing open and frank discussions between patients and health care providers
- Enhance the affordability and speed of the justice system by fostering the resolution of civil disputes and shortening or avoiding litigation.
The government stresses that this would in no way impede someone's ability to sue or get compensation for harm done by another.

In Canada, B.C., Saskatchewan and Manitoba also have apology laws in place. More than a dozen states in the lawsuit-happy U.S. also have similar laws on the books.

The verdict on so-called apology legislation seems to be positive. The Ontario Bar Association endorses Queen's Park's attempts to get this law passed. An article from the Lawyers Weekly written about B.C.'s apology law also has this to say:

This legislative trend is the result of the growing body of evidence that apology laws assist in a reduction in both the number of and the time required to settle lawsuits. Evidence generated on American and Australian doctor’s apologies show improved patient satisfaction, a decrease in repeat errors and reduced cost and frequency of malpractice settlements.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users