Special Ops Paintball: Ghillie Or Not To Ghillie - Special Ops Paintball

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ghillie Or Not To Ghillie Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Ghillie or not to ghillie (228 member(s) have cast votes)

Ghillie or not to ghillie

1. Ghillie (178 votes [78.07%])

Percentage of vote: 78.07%

2. Not to ghillie (50 votes [21.93%])

Percentage of vote: 21.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   The_Joker 

• HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:The_Joker_Sniper

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

Which do you prefer to do as a sniper? Use a ghillie suit or not?

Remember guys, in a full out ghillie, a hit counts. Whether it breaks or not, richochets or not, you're out. Remember that guys. ^_^

If this is already a thread, I apologize. I looked at former threads and couldn't find one such as this.

This post has been edited by The_Joker: 25 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

Dustin "The Joker" Taylor
Dark Allegiance

#2 User is offline   TheDarkRacer 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Mechanic

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:46 PM

hmm well I HEAR(not 100% sure) that if your gonna be stationary then you wanna Ghillie, but if your gonna be moving alot then there is better camos out there that will work

#3 User is offline   tigerforce 

• U.S. Army Chairborne Commando
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:U.S.Army Chairborne Commandos

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:57 PM

Ditto above but there are ghillies commercially available that allow movement. (www.ghilliesuits.com)
GOD bless,
TF

#4 User is offline   Montresor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Montresor

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:25 PM

View Posttigerforce, on Sep 25 2006, 04:57 PM, said:

Ditto above but there are ghillies commercially available that allow movement. (www.ghilliesuits.com)
GOD bless,
TF

Freedom of movement is fine, but ghillie is what is referred to as 'active camoflague'. This means that it actually resembles it's environment, making the wearer appear buried (if seen at all). Realtree ™ would also be considered an active camo. Other camos are called 'passive camoflague'. Tigerstripe, woodland, and Marpat fall into this category. Passive camos let the eye slide over you, but won't hold up under focused scrutiny. Active camo can make the wearer invisible, even under intense scrutiny, but looks very wrong if moving.

The advantage of ghillie virtually disappears when you begin moving. This is because, regardless of how easily you can move in it, you look decidedly peculiar when moving in it. Enough so to call attention to yourself. It's easier to miss someone bounding to a tree when he/she blends into the surrounding environment and does not call attention to themself. But your brain and eyes find a bounding shrub to be decidedly out-of-sorts for any situation, and therefore call your concious mind to attention, because your brain is under the assumption that plants don't bound.

So, what you're wearing should be determined by how much you plan on moving. Ghillie is hardly the camo of choice for everyone.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Minnesota/Nodak? Visit www.valleypaintball.com the ONLY place to ball in the Red River Valley.

#5 User is offline   Dublin 

• Orange boxes?
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dublin

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:45 PM

I would use ghillie. But I dont have any.

#6 User is offline   c4will2 

• The Spartan's Combat Sharp Shooter
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:_=WW=_

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:48 PM

Ya the point of a sniper is to lie in wait and ambush. w/o a ghillie suit you are just a saber on his belly

#7 User is offline   Montresor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:51 PM

It's the 'baller, not the gear that makes the kill.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Minnesota/Nodak? Visit www.valleypaintball.com the ONLY place to ball in the Red River Valley.

#8 User is offline   The_Joker 

• HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:37 PM

View PostDublin, on Sep 25 2006, 06:45 PM, said:

I would use ghillie. But I dont have any.
Make one. My friend made one in about 8 hours.

View Postc4will2, on Sep 25 2006, 06:48 PM, said:

Ya the point of a sniper is to lie in wait and ambush. w/o a ghillie suit you are just a saber on his belly
Hahaha! Never thought about it like that.

View PostMontresor, on Sep 25 2006, 06:51 PM, said:

It's the 'baller, not the gear that makes the kill.
True, but ghillies don't hurt. Lying on the ground, you're much less likely to be seen than some one in just digi cam or some thing to that effect.

Dark Allegiance

#9 User is offline   O'C 

• Machineguns!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:O'C

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:55 PM

Montressor: Actually ghillie suits are both, active and passive camoflauge.

Hey Joker, from your last topic, why dont you make a ghillie suit from BDU's and netting on the back but not the front and just tie some burlap/jute or the fake stuff on the back. This way youll still be camoed good but alot lighter and cooler.

#10 User is offline   The_Joker 

• HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:21 PM

View PostAce of Spades, on Sep 25 2006, 07:55 PM, said:

Montressor: Actually ghillie suits are both, active and passive camoflauge.

Hey Joker, from your last topic, why dont you make a ghillie suit from BDU's and netting on the back but not the front and just tie some burlap/jute or the fake stuff on the back. This way youll still be camoed good but alot lighter and cooler.
Hmm. Good idea. What I've been thinking about though is taking my BDU's and just taking burlap/jute on the it like you suggested, but rather than netting, just attatch it permanetly. I can't remember the stuff, but my friend used it to make his own ghillie suit. That way I can attatch it here and there as I see fit and not worry about it coming off. And I can make it so that it will drape down over my pod pack to give them some cover as well.

Dark Allegiance

#11 User is offline   millencolinjames 

• look at my cool block things
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:millencolin

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:24 PM

well, i disagree that it makes you more conspicuous to be in ghille, but i think that id rather have tigerstripe or something if i was, for instance, playing ghost flanker, but id rather be in ghille for ambushes and the like.
there is no evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck norris allows to live.
" BEES ? Who gets killed be bees?! BOINK that, i would puch every bee in the face!!" - Dane Cook

#12 User is offline   O'C 

• Machineguns!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:O'C

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:25 PM

Well the netting is used for changing the ghillie to best match your surrounding, thats why most ghillie suits have netting, to change the burlap/jute around and to add vegitation.

#13 User is offline   Wimpy 

• I make stuff up... don't listen.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wimpy

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:31 PM

No Ghillie. Why? Because if you play by the rules: ALL HITS COUNT. Normally, you're out on breaks only, not if you wear ghillie. I'm not a cheater, by any stretch of the imagination. But I sure do love those bounces!

#14 User is offline   Montresor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:58 PM

View PostThe_Joker, on Sep 25 2006, 07:37 PM, said:

True, but ghillies don't hurt. Lying on the ground, you're much less likely to be seen than some one in just digi cam or some thing to that effect.

No argument there. I just don't like the idea that a sniper's only a sniper if he's got a 'sniper' suit and a 'sniper' gun and.....

You get the idea.

As for the whole active/passive thing, whatever. You can find many varying opinions regarding that subject. The fact remains; ghillie will hold up to scrutiny while passive camo will not. But ghillie is easier to ascertain while in movement because it looks very unnatural while moving and your eye does not pass easily over it, as it does over passive camo. This is why ghillie is considered to be active camo.

This post has been edited by Montresor: 25 September 2006 - 10:59 PM

Nemo me impune lacessit

#15 User is offline   The_Joker 

• HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:18 PM

View PostMontresor, on Sep 26 2006, 12:58 AM, said:

View PostThe_Joker, on Sep 25 2006, 07:37 PM, said:

No argument there. I just don't like the idea that a sniper's only a sniper if he's got a 'sniper' suit and a 'sniper' gun and.....

You get the idea.

As for the whole active/passive thing, whatever. You can find many varying opinions regarding that subject. The fact remains; ghillie will hold up to scrutiny while passive camo will not. But ghillie is easier to ascertain while in movement because it looks very unnatural while moving and your eye does not pass easily over it, as it does over passive camo. This is why ghillie is considered to be active camo.
I don't believe that you're sniper only if you have a "sniper" suit and a "sniper" gun. I think you can be a sniper even if you're wearing a bright pink shirt and using a pistol as long as you're able to hide and take out your target with that one shot.

Also, I go both ways on thie subject. I like to use a ghillie suit at times and at others not use it. Just depends on my mood and the situation.

This post has been edited by The_Joker: 26 September 2006 - 01:21 PM

Dark Allegiance

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users