Special Ops Paintball: How to set up a school paintball club - Special Ops Paintball

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to set up a school paintball club Definitive guide? Maybe. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

It's that time of year again. Students are going back to school and many would love to have a paintball club at school. But how do you get one?

First of all you need to realize that there is a difference between a club and a team.

A club meets to discuss a common topic but not neseccarily "do" whatever it is.
Club: an association of persons for some common object usually jointly supported and meeting periodically; also : a group identified by some common characteristic

Team:a number of persons associated together in work or activity: as a group on one side (as in football or a debate)

In other words a team can be part of a club, but the club memebrs don't have to be on the team.

Keep that in mind.

Step 1- Talk to ALL the students, take a poll and see how many would be interested in a paintball club. the more interest the students show the more likely a club is to happen.

Step 2- Talk to ALL of the school staff. That includes cleaning and admin staff, not just the teachers. When you talk to them make a list of questions and concerns that they have as individuals. Only the Principal/Dean should have concerns at a school/school board level.

Step 3- Talk to your local paintball field/store owners and staff. Explain to them what you want to do at school and how havning them "sponsor" the club would benifit them. New payers, more public exposure and all you want in return is for one of them to come in on occasion and discuss safety, marker maintenance and such.

Step 4- Find an adult(teacher or parent) willing to act as club supervisor.

Step 5- You will need a club constitution. Something like-

Paintball Constitution

We, the (insert school name here) Paintball Club are dedicated to the discussion and promotion of Paintball in a positive manner.

We are dedicated to teaching non players the truth of our sport and to showing everyone it is a safe and family friendly game.

We are dedicated to team work, family and community.

We will abide by school rules regarding the storage, transportation and use of paintball gear when on school grounds as decided by the club president, teacher/adult representitive, principal and school board.

We will represent our school with honor and repsect at any and all paintball related outings, including club games, school fundraisers and club fundraisers.

Any club member that commits vandalism or breaks the laws/rules in regards to paintball equipment will be brought forth to the proper authorities for appropriate punishment.

Club meetings will be held regularly on school grounds in the desinagted area at designated times/dates with the assigned teach/parent in attendance. Meeting minutes can and will be kept for remittance to the principal at his/her request.

Club dues will be collected at each school meeting in the ammount of $X.00 Dues will be used to purchase food/beverages for the club as well as to set up club paintball games at the local paintball field. The club treasurer will report to the club president as well as the assigned teach/parent and principal.

Step 6- Club officers will need to be elected or assigned. You will need at the very least a club president, treasurer, and record keeper.

The President it resposible for co-ordinating EVERYTHING with the Principal/Dean, Club supervisor, club officers and club members.

The Treasurer is responsible for tracking club finances and setting up fundraisers. All financial records are to be submitted to the Prinipal/dean and Club supervisor no less than once every month and always on request.

The Record Keeper is responsible for tracking meeting information and creating a transcript. These notes do not have to be word for word but should convey enough information that anyone outside the club would be able to know what happened. Previous club minutes are to be read at the begining of each meeting and all paper work is to be submitted to the Prinipal/dean and Club supervisor no less than once every month and always on request.

Step 7- Dues and fundraisers. Dues shouldn't be anything excessive. For the most part any money collected will be used to purchase food and beverages for the club (assuming the school rules allow it), purchasae materials for fundrasing, or to assist in getting field time. No less than 2 fundraiser events should be held, one of which should be for the benefit of the entire school and one specifically for the club. Procededs from club specific events should dedivided up and used to get field time and donated to local charities.

Step 8- The club should also do community service each month. Cleaning up public parks, visiting the elderly, mentoring younger kids and the like. This isn't a must but it will certainly help your club image as well as that of paintball.

A portion of club dues should be used to purchase a few shirts with the school logo, club name and business supporters names on them and worn at ANY club event, weather it's fundraising or community service. Not every member needs one but 25% should get one. If you have a locl paintball field/store supporting the club they should be able to help with the cost since you'll be advertising for them.

REMEMBER the Dean/princpal has the final say. Even though he/she may love the idea the Schoolboard may not allow it for some reason. DO NOT GET ANGRY ABOUT IT. It will not help. Always be friendly and polite. Be confident and know your facts. The biggest concern they are going to have is bringing gear into the school. Since it's a club having a painball markers isn't needed. If a marker is needed get written permission from the dean/principal after clearly explaing why.

Hopefully this will allow you to start and maintain a school club.

Study hard, and play safe.

This post has been edited by Puzuma: 09 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#2 User is offline   X Jackson X 

• Dye Hard Speedballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:14 PM

That is some very good info.

But unfortunatly for me I dont think enough people in my school play. And with a few of neigbouring counties have some gun problems. I dont know if our school would go for it.
IPB Image

#3 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

Also...When introducing paintball to people, do not refer to the markers as "Guns"...call them "markers" Dont say "Shoot" say "mark" or "eliminate"

Dont refer to it as "milsim" just call it a "marker"...

Make sure you are able to answer any and all questions about safty equipment and rules and regulations for paintball games.

Make sure you can answer ANY questions that may be asked.

Be in CLOSE contact with your school administration and make sure they understand you are not organizing a 'student army' or any violent activity...

-Tenacious

#4 User is offline   HCJim 

• "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:fortunateson103

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:36 PM

Great article, and I think it will help a lot of people. Unfortunately, I doubt any principal or school board administration will allow any gear to be brought on school grounds. They will still see markers as nothing but guns and they feel that they shall be treated as such. No matter what we say, we cannot change their mind (most of the time). However, I can understand where they are coming from. Their ignorance may come with a point.

Answer me this: If some kid came up asking to bring in his paintball marker (or even if they slipped up and said gun) to school, be it after hours or during operation, and you not having any prior knowledge of even this sport's existance, would you let that kid bring it in? Be honest now. Answer what you would have answered if you were that principal, not if you were someone who loved and understood the importance of the sport (as most of you reading this are today).

Even if it was for a safety presentation, I can honestly say no. Who knows if this kid has the ability to safely use the marker or not? Even if the kid was perfectly competant, everyone makes mistakes every once and awhile; and that mistake could cost you your job, or much more importantly an injury to your kid (in which case not only a student would be hurt, but you would be sued out of you mind). It is just too much of a risk. Now, I don't like it, don't get me wrong. But it is what it is, and until the sport becomes more popular and we don't have the idiots who can't control themselves behind a marker, it just isn't going to happen.

That said, there's no reason why there shouldn't be a club to discuss the issues, and to collect money and the part that I especially liked, to donate to local charities. This would be an excellent opportunity for non-players to learn about the sport and for previous players to help each other out; be it with tactics, upgrades, or just general paintball talk.

The bottom line being that while safety as key, I don't believe that you would be able to pull off using a live demonstration or even using a gun for a presentation (even if not for only the club members). I'd suggest using a form of diagram or just talk about safety. You could probably even include a condom or pull up Tyger's videos on BBDs. I do, however, believe that safety is the most important issue to discuss during the meetings. Perhaps you could even put it in your pledge or something of the sort.

Jim
"There is nothing to fear, but fear itself." - FDR

Nemesis Scenario Paintball Team
Sponsored by: Outdoor Adventures Paintball

#5 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:55 PM

Jim does make some good points.

Regardless, I suggest that you get ANY equipment approved for club use by the principal ahead of time (marker, mask, pods, anything) and have written approval before bringing it onto school grounds. Markers go very well earna blanket no but doing a demonstraion on how to swap lenses on a mask should be ok. We just don't want a misunderstanding over what the mask is for. Same with camo clothing. Keep the school admin as informed as humanly possible.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#6 User is offline   HCJim 

• "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:fortunateson103

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

Thanks, Puz.

Yeah, every move you make in such a controversial club is crucial and you really do need to keep the admins informed as to everything that you do.

I agree that a mask lense change shouldn't be a big deal, but just run everything through an administrator prior to taking one in. It could get ugly if you don't.

A club such as this requires supreme organization, and that's one of the reasons I have never started one at my school, there's just too much red tape involved.

Jim
"There is nothing to fear, but fear itself." - FDR

Nemesis Scenario Paintball Team
Sponsored by: Outdoor Adventures Paintball

#7 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:27 PM

I dont care where you go to school...You're never going to get to bring your equipment on school property...NEVER...

I wouldnt even ask...

-Tenacious

#8 User is offline   rambo16 

• Midnight Raider
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rambo691

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:48 PM

View PostTenacious221, on Aug 18 2006, 04:27 PM, said:

I dont care where you go to school...You're never going to get to bring your equipment on school property...NEVER...

I wouldnt even ask...

-Tenacious

Your wrong dude.
My friend did a video project on paintball last year and he was able to bring his mask, marker, pod pack, and so on into school to demonstrate how it all works.

#9 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:57 PM

Every school is going to be different. This is why it's strongly recomended to ASK before bringing anything paintbal related. That includes magazines as well.

And to prevent any confusion DO NOT play paintball on the school prorerty. Don't even ask to do that. There may be exceptions made such as for a fundraiser. Set up a target shooting booth and ensure that it is SAFE. markers should be anchord to the booth and in such a was so that they cannot be pointed anywhere but down range.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Reaper1101 

• Don't take life so serious, you might not get out alive.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mjd1101

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:02 PM

instead of asking the principal first can i ask the school police officer first. We have the same last name and he could probably help us.
Hashido- a way of life...

#11 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

School police officer? Man. Have I been out of school that long?

Best bet would be to talk to both of them at the same time. If that can't be arranged principal first then the officer. Be sure to show the officer a note of confrimation from the principal.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Reaper1101 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:14 PM

yea, when i get in trouble for fights i claim he's my uncle.

This post has been edited by Reaper1101: 18 August 2006 - 02:15 PM

#13 User is offline   X Jackson X 

• Dye Hard Speedballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:16 PM

View PostPuzuma, on Aug 18 2006, 02:08 PM, said:

School police officer? Man. Have I been out of school that long?

Apparently you have. And most schools (where i live) have a officer that is there for part of the day. He/she might sometimes go back and fowrth between some close schools in the area.

And funny story. Once i brought my friends paintball mask. Because over the weekend he left it at my house. And i couldnt fit into my locker (We got the skinnist lockers). So I asked my homeroom teacher if I could take it to my friend. She gave me a wierd look. And then said no. So i was walking around half the day carrying a paintball mask. It was funny.
IPB Image

#14 User is offline   Reaper1101 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:20 PM

lol, i did that with my Pod-Pack

#15 User is offline   X Jackson X 

• Dye Hard Speedballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:25 PM

Ive seen people wear there hunting camo to my school before. And I have seen people take in paintballs also. One of my friends almost got suspended for taking in paintballs and passing them off as gumballs and people would bite down on them when they put them in their mouth and the paint would come out. It was funny.
IPB Image

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users