• You cannot reply to this topic

Kingman Hammer... noisy! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sudsy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Sudsy

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hello there, everyone at Spec Ops Paintball and especially the super-cool pump crew. I've been a member of the Brigade for a while now but I'm just dipping my toes into the forums.

My problem is this: I have an old Kingman Hammer pump, and it's incredible. Ball-on-ball accuracy at fifty feet, easy. I've intricately detailed and polished the internals, and it has a smooth action. I intend to use it mostly as a sniper's weapon, however, and therein lies the Hammer's major failing: it's ridiculously loud. Almost as loud as a .22. I have it cranked down, and it's chronoing at about 275. The problem is twofold, I believe. First of all, the barrel is only about eight inches with no porting whatsoever. Second, a lot of gas smokes out of the barrel with every shot. I think that too much gas is getting into the marker. The latter problem can be easily fixed by installing a regulator, but I'm stumped about the barrel as it seems to be the biggest problem. I've tried fitting several different barrels at a store, but because the Hammer barrel is perfectly even in diameter with the upper of the gun and while finding spyder-thread barrels is easy, finding a barrel that doesn't have a much larger base diameter (that will fit inside the hammer's pump) is nearly impossible. I don't want to affix a silencer that will ruin the accuracy and possibly land me in jail. Does anyone have a Hammer, or have a suggestion about what to do?

#2 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

Im willing to bet that you wont find any barrel for that in your run of the mill retail stores, probally not in any less than 10 year old paintball shops either.

Ebay is probally your simplest choice but of course there is no hands on with that option.

If you plan any large vendor event games this year I would definatly make a visible note on the back of my hand to look hard for a barrel their, ask the vendors old stuff like that they dont always put on the table tops.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#3 User is offline   Sudsy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:03 PM

1-l,

Thanks for the response. As a matter of fact, I've gone through many retail stores in my area, and I've basically given up on finding a barrel that fits at those stores. All their barrels are designed for modern tourney markers, and they're hardly catering for the 15-year old vintage gun market. My only other option would be to bore out the pump, but if I do that it will compromise the tightness of the fit on the pump and it would be useless if I were to use the regular barrel again. My only choice seems to be going to a large, multi-faceted paintball event and try to find something there.

#4 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

After a little looking I found that ACI made a Zero Gravity one piece barrel that worked with the Hammer due to its basic styling.
As well as the older J&J Ceramic barrels.
I have also found reference to folks using the older styled Freak backs with the Hammer.

The pictures I have looked at for both the above mentioned barrels seem like they would work. But you would need to find the older styles and try them to know for sure.

Then there is this older Hammer FAQ thread I found on pbreview. Dated back to the time of the Hammer re-release in the ealry 2000's.
Might just lead you to a few different brand name to look for when dealing with older gear.

I also saw a Hammer owner mention this...

I know that their is a screw under the cocking thing and if you unscrew a black fitting that is inside comes out

Pretty vague and hard to understand...but it sounds like there might just be some type of inner sleeve in the pump handle that can be removed to accomidate larger barrels. Worth looking at anyhow.

If you keep us up to date on what you find we can possibly help another Hammer owner down the road when they ask this question too!

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 27 February 2011 - 12:09 PM
Reason for edit: added info

#5 User is offline   Sudsy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

After a closer inspection if the pump handle, I did find a tiny, removable screw. Unscrewing this, I found a small plastic liner which could be removed. I don't know how I missed it, having completed a thorough inspection and full restoration of this marker. The liner is only about a half a centimeter in breadth on each side, however, and may help accommodate a slightly thicker barrel. It isn't going to help with the modern, massively variable barrel geometry found on most tourney barrels, but the flexibility is nice to have and it opens up many opportunities for different barrels.

I'm afraid the ACI Zero Gravity barrels are a tad out of my price range - hell, I only paid $60 for the whole gun. The J&J Ceramic barrels, on the other hand, look promising. If I were made of money, I'd get a 16 Stiffi... those carbon-fiber barrels are quieter than a mouse treading on a feather pillow. Does anyone know if the J&J Ceramic barrels are quiet enough to serve on a sniper's marker?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users