Special Ops Paintball: To buy or to upgrade, that is the question. - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To buy or to upgrade, that is the question. upgrade 98 or start over? Rate Topic: -----

Poll: To buy or to upgrade, that is the question. (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Should I do?

1. Sell all guns and purchase Tiberius 9.1 Ranger? (5 votes [83.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Keep Guns and upgrade Tippmann 98? (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

So here's the thing. I have a baby on the way, so money is tight. I want to do something with my marker setup, but I'm torn. I really like my 98 Custom, but I also have my Tiberius 8 and would love to have a Tiberius 9.1 Ranger. I could in theory sell all my guns (except my T8) and come close to having the money for a T9.1. But I dont know if I want to give up my 98c. If I do not sell all and buy the T9.1, I would most likely invest in the clip feed from RAP4 for my 98c and finish the custom products tactical shroud setup. So here's the question:

If I upgrade my 98c, I would get the clip feed system, upgrade the interals (finally) and purchase the Tactical setup from Custom Products (including the smooth rifle shroud and the shroud adapter since I already have the tactical barrel)

If I purchase the Tiberius 9.1, I will have First strike rounds. I will not likely use an external air source or hopper, but keep with the clip fed system.

Let me know what you guys think, I value your input as well as your vote.

#2 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

Well usually I would say that you can upgrade your 98 all you want but it's still a 98. The internal upgrades are minimally effective, and no matter what you do, you're still using a highly inefficient blowback system. I would then tell you to look for a nice used speedball gun like an older ego or perhaps thr newer eteks. However, since the upgrade you want is the Tiberius 9.1, I would have to ask you a couple questions.

Does your field allow you to use first strike rounds?
Are you willing to play with your only option being limited paint?
And finally, is your baby a boy or a girl? Congratulations!
2 Samuel 22

#3 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

View PostBenaiah, on 14 January 2011 - 10:40 AM, said:

Does your field allow you to use first strike rounds? Most of where I play is in our woods behind our house with a crap ton of ppl we know. But, when I do go to the field nearby, His response was as long as the box is unopened and he get's to play a round with my FS equiped gun, he's ok letting me play with them.
Are you willing to play with your only option being limited paint? This is my favorite way to play honestly. I enjoy the challenge of going into the field with 1/2 to 1/8th of the paint that everyone else has, it adds an element of strategy to my game. and as an ambush/sniper for my primary position, the limit of paint only makes me more cautious
And finally, is your baby a boy or a girl? Congratulations! Baby boy, Isaiah, and I'm so excited, because that means my T8 will be his when he's old enough to go out and play... :)

#4 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

I can only really echo what B wrote... the 98 is a fine marker but it is an inefficient blowback & the "upgrades" don't really do much at all, if anything. Since you have a T8 you know the quality of the Tiberius products & the firing system on it is very much like an Automag which is much nicer than a Tippmann. Overall the fit & finish of the Tiberius products are much better as well.

The mag-fed kit for the 98/A-5/etc. is obviously a newer than new item & as such is unproven. Given Tacamo/Rap4's history I wouldn't hold my breath on them being an amazing quality add-on, so w/ money being tight it would be heartbreaking to drop that kind of cash on something that could turn out to be crap. They could very well be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.

Personally, if I'm going to invest a chunk of money in a marker system I'd rather invest in the better overall base platform like the T9.1 - as a bonus, in the end it would certainly hold its' value better. Speaking of, I'd definitely look at buying one used. I've seen 9.1's w/ extra mags go for under $300 on various forums & eBay... definitely worth looking into since money is tight. I've made 3 marker purchases & all have been used, not a single issue w/ any of them. I have a hard time buying something for full price when I can typically save 20-50% by buying used.

Congrats on the baby! I hope all goes well for Mom & son... and Dad ;).
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#5 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

With those answers, dump the 98 and rock the 9.1. If you want a little bit more in the ammo department, I would recommend investing in a qloader instead of a hopper. Since its a side feed the hopper will unbalance the marker and will give you much larger profile. The qloader will be fustirating at first, but from experience I can tell you it will be worth it. A qloader and the air in stock setup will give you one of the most balanced, mobile, and low profile woodsball markers on the market. Don't buy new though, look on eBay for a gently used or lnib set (so many people open it, fail with it, then sell it out of frustration for wicked cheap). But that's in the future. Get first strikes and start goging people!
2 Samuel 22

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users