Special Ops Paintball: My First Attempt at painting, MARPAT - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My First Attempt at painting, MARPAT Tips and Criticism's appreciated Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kycirion 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

This is my first attempt at painting camouflage, I decided to try painting MARPAT because thats what I typically wear for paintball. Probably too much for a first under taking. I also didn't want to paint my marker till I knew what I was doing so I used a crappy Airsoft Glock.

I just used Rustoleum Camo Tan, Rustoleum Chocolate Brown which I misted over with the tan to make the brown color, Krylon Flat Black,and for the Green the only color I could find at the time that matched was Krylon Forest Green Clear Coat, so I sprayed first with dark green then misted with moss green and then coated with the clear coat which turned out mostly okay, just really thick.

I started witht he Brown, then used 3M painters tape to make male stencils. Stenciled and covered with Green, stenciled some more and covered with Black, then planned on removing the stencils and using female stencils to make the tan highlights, but that didn't turn out so well. I did end up having to go back and cover some of the black with more green as I had to much black. But that kind of screwed it up more.

I think next time I will start with tan as my base coat and work from there.

Posted Image

Any comments will be welcome.

Ugh that thing is ugly.

#2 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:38 AM

its honestly not that bad....

...you should look into finding a stencil kit so you dont need to hand cut them('cause a few of the lines are not quite straight)

...and you should use lighter coats cause a few layers look a bit heavy...

...but other than that it looks pretty good.

oh, and be sure to completely disassemble everything before you paint it, you will get a better finish that way.

#3 User is offline   Stonewall 

• PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Stonewal1

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:48 AM

That looks pretty good. The green is a little too dark and like Cesar said some of your lines aren't straight but it's definitely better than what I could.

~Stone
"My men may fail to take a position, but driven from one?, NEVER!!!!"
~Lt. General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson Confederate General~

#4 User is offline   Niceguy74 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:54 AM

great for a first run!!!!

yep, watch how thick the paint gets.

now that you have did a practice run, you can learn from it when doing the real deal.

#5 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

That's a pretty good first atempt. Now if you take the suggestions given to you I'm sure your marker will turn out better.

#6 User is offline   Kycirion 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

Cesar, on Feb 19 2009, 12:38 PM, said:

its honestly not that bad....

...you should look into finding a stencil kit so you dont need to hand cut them('cause a few of the lines are not quite straight)

...and you should use lighter coats cause a few layers look a bit heavy...

...but other than that it looks pretty good.

oh, and be sure to completely disassemble everything before you paint it, you will get a better finish that way.

I thought about a stencil kit, and probably will get one for the next round.

And I do need to be careful and do several light coats, I tend to just coat the whole thing. You can definately see the ridges between the stencils.

Thanks for the comments.

#7 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

Good first attempt, and I'd follow the suggestions of everyone above, and use a little less green. Tan is the base color on MARPAT/woodland digi, so I'd go with that as the main background color. Not at all bad for your first time, though, and more practice will make you better.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#8 User is offline   THUNDR 

• Heavy Metal
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Koos

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

I think that looks great especially for a first time. I like that you weren't afraid to go near the edges; a lot of times I see people just put the digi parts in the open spaces and it just looks a picture on the gun. Your spacing and coloring is very good and the pattern works- just work on the layering of the paint and straightening those edges
Great work!

View PostMarine Scout Sniper, on 24 November 2008 - 06:47 PM, said:

I just try to fulfill what the military conciders when they look for a sniper. ...their major concern is over all accuracy, physical stamina, patience, ability to acquire top secret clearance, and prior experience in paintball and/or hunting...

Gearbag Sale

#9 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

Again, I agree with the above. The only further comment that I have is that you might want to consider finding a matte or satin clear coat instead of gloss. The gloss doesn't look terrible, and only you can see it in person instead of in a photo, but I tend to think that a gloss finish doesn't go real well with camo. That's personal preference of course.

Otherwise, very nice for your first try. I'm too intimidated to try it!
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   LeatherneckOIF1 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

Violator, on Feb 19 2009, 03:19 PM, said:

Good first attempt, and I'd follow the suggestions of everyone above, and use a little less green. Tan is the base color on MARPAT/woodland digi, so I'd go with that as the main background color. Not at all bad for your first time, though, and more practice will make you better.

This is a very accurate suggestion. You do this as well as get a lighter green and you'll be money.
Semper Fi God Country Corps

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users