Special Ops Paintball: A little bit of newbie help... - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A little bit of newbie help... The Angel A1 and me.

#1 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:WITHFORCE

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

Alright, so I apologize up front that this is a total newbie question (or group of questions, really).

I might very soon be coming into an Angel A1. While Egos, DM8s, etc. may compare, the Angel just aesthetically appeals to me. There's no such thing as a high-end marker that sucks, in my opinion. If I'm going to buy this gun - I want to do everything right. I've seen what poor preparation does and that's not my cup of tea. I won't bring up the things I always hear mentioned about what you need for an Angel.

Basically, what do I need to seriously begin taking into consideration with regard to the A1? I'm going from Tippmanns (98, A5), Spyders (VS3, MR2), Smart Parts (SP8), a Trilogy Autococker... to an Angel A1. I know it's a different breed altogether, but could anyone take the time to inform me of what I'm getting into?
Who needs subtlety? I shoot until the woods are monochrome.

#2 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:00 AM

You need to know it better. You cant just tear it apart. Read the manual. Get all the lube you will ever need and make sure you have money for an hpa tank and a hopper to keep up with it.
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#3 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

View PostM.O.P., on Sep 16 2008, 12:00 PM, said:

You need to know it better. You cant just tear it apart. Read the manual. Get all the lube you will ever need and make sure you have money for an hpa tank and a hopper to keep up with it.

Thank you for the quick response!

Make no mistake, I don't plan to tear this thing down just to see how it works. I've been helped by owner's manuals before and I hear they have very good ones. Lube, check. That's the cheapest maintenance out there. I have a 72/3000 PMI tank, I plan to get a few slightly smaller tanks. The 72 on my VS3 was... comical. A couple 68s should do me. I'll be sticking to 3000psi tanks, since the only local shop around here wants to charge $15 per fill on a 4500psi tank. I have an eVLution 3, but I do plan on stepping up to a Magna.

Sound like a decent handle on what I need at this point?

#4 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rooster45

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

View PostWith_Force, on Sep 16 2008, 10:17 AM, said:

View PostM.O.P., on Sep 16 2008, 12:00 PM, said:

Thank you for the quick response!

Make no mistake, I don't plan to tear this thing down just to see how it works. I've been helped by owner's manuals before and I hear they have very good ones. Lube, check. That's the cheapest maintenance out there. I have a 72/3000 PMI tank, I plan to get a few slightly smaller tanks. The 72 on my VS3 was... comical. A couple 68s should do me. I'll be sticking to 3000psi tanks, since the only local shop around here wants to charge $15 per fill on a 4500psi tank. I have an eVLution 3, but I do plan on stepping up to a Magna.

Sound like a decent handle on what I need at this point?

Whatever you get, make sure it has a low pressure reg on it. I've never owned an Angel myself, but from what I've read and heard when they say low pressure tank only, they mean it.

But yeah, if you have plans on ever taking it apart take this piece of advice: Don't.

They are tremendous markers, but are one of the few not meant to be taken apart by a non-certified tech.

#5 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

View PostFlamingoChavez, on Sep 16 2008, 04:29 PM, said:

Whatever you get, make sure it has a low pressure reg on it. I've never owned an Angel myself, but from what I've read and heard when they say low pressure tank only, they mean it.

But yeah, if you have plans on ever taking it apart take this piece of advice: Don't.

They are tremendous markers, but are one of the few not meant to be taken apart by a non-certified tech.

I've heard the Low Pressure comments made, and it just doesn't quite register with me. It's just not something I've had to work with, before, so my ignorance is showing. Do I really need a Low Pressure tank or can I just get a regulator for the ASA? I'm really apples-to-oranges on this, but I'm thinking of the set-up on my VS3 with the adjustable reg vs. a special tank that (really) can only be used on the Angel.

I'm not second guessing your judgement (and you're not the first to say this) and I never plan to take it apart. Ripping up a Tippmann or a SP8 to every last piece is one thing, but I've researched the Angels. Quite a few more parts, there.

#6 User is offline   heisman01 

• "the appraiser"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:heisman01

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:49 PM

you really need an LP tank for an A1, angle cant make regs for crap so thats why you need an LP tank or you can get a CP adapter and a new reg and use w/e tank you want

#7 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:37 PM

View Postheisman01, on Sep 16 2008, 05:49 PM, said:

you really need an LP tank for an A1, angle cant make regs for crap so thats why you need an LP tank or you can get a CP adapter and a new reg and use w/e tank you want

Emphasis mine. That's the direction I was looking for. I don't want to sound picky, but what I was after was making sure I could use the tank(s) that I have or are getting. I don't want to have to spend money on a tank that I could only use on the Angel and none of my other markers.

#8 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

You got to know what threads the barrels are.

You need to know what feed neck you got. (stock sucks.)

The A1 should be able to take HPA.

IMPORTANT: Angels like their own style of lube. Read the manual.

These I know but forget the details to direct you which way to go.

#9 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:29 AM

View PostWith_Force, on Sep 16 2008, 03:10 PM, said:

I'm not second guessing your judgement (and you're not the first to say this) and I never plan to take it apart. Ripping up a Tippmann or a SP8 to every last piece is one thing, but I've researched the Angels. Quite a few more parts, there.

Well yeah, but so do autocockers and I'd have no reservation to tell you to rip into that sucker. Allot of the parts are sealed inside an angel and you can screw crap up prying into those seals pretty fast.

#10 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:58 AM

Ok first off is it or will it be new or used?

Till then, the stock A1 requires a Low Preasure Tank, but there is a quick and easy reg rebuild that lets you run HP with out a problem but suffice it to say unless you're willing to rebuild the reg before you even gas it up your current tank will not work. Also you are better off getting a 4.5k tank for the simple fact you won't always play at 1 field and most 3k tanks are lower quality steel not CF wrapped.

If it's new you will get some lube, all your tools, a good barrel bascily everything you need from the start. The reg, feed neck and asa are very high quality and should only be replaced for astetic appeal.

If it is used I highly recommend taking it to a tech and getting a full tear down and relube done, you have no idea what's it's been through and even though it only requires maintance every 25 cases, I recommend alot of love the first time you get a used marker, especially something as sophisicated as an Angel.
If it is new you are set, it comes with everything you need, the reg is great but LP (unless you get the FLY) which requires a small mod to make HP and even then I believe it's flipping afew shims around, nothing TOO complicated but have a tech do it if you are not comfortable. Other than that it's a high-end and comes out of the box ready to rock, just get a fresh battery and READ THE MANUAL, seriously we're all going to tell you to do it, get used to hearing it.

#11 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

View PostSteed, on Sep 17 2008, 08:58 AM, said:

Ok first off is it or will it be new or used?

Till then, the stock A1 requires a Low Preasure Tank, but there is a quick and easy reg rebuild that lets you run HP with out a problem but suffice it to say unless you're willing to rebuild the reg before you even gas it up your current tank will not work. Also you are better off getting a 4.5k tank for the simple fact you won't always play at 1 field and most 3k tanks are lower quality steel not CF wrapped.

If it's new you will get some lube, all your tools, a good barrel bascily everything you need from the start. The reg, feed neck and asa are very high quality and should only be replaced for astetic appeal.

If it is used I highly recommend taking it to a tech and getting a full tear down and relube done, you have no idea what's it's been through and even though it only requires maintance every 25 cases, I recommend alot of love the first time you get a used marker, especially something as sophisicated as an Angel.
If it is new you are set, it comes with everything you need, the reg is great but LP (unless you get the FLY) which requires a small mod to make HP and even then I believe it's flipping afew shims around, nothing TOO complicated but have a tech do it if you are not comfortable. Other than that it's a high-end and comes out of the box ready to rock, just get a fresh battery and READ THE MANUAL, seriously we're all going to tell you to do it, get used to hearing it.

It will be brand new.

Honestly? I'd really have no problem rebuilding the reg. before I even gassed it up. Mind telling me where to go for that? True with what you say about most 3k tanks, but I have an issue with a 68/4500 costing twice as much to fill as my 115/3000. I suppose really I should just get over it and just pay up, but it's one of those things that just irks me, you know?

No problems on reading the manual. I know you all wouldn't be telling me this if it wasn't true.

#12 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:34 AM

View PostSteed, on Sep 17 2008, 06:58 AM, said:

If it's new you will get some lube, all your tools, a good barrel bascily everything you need from the start.

I heard somewhere that they use metric allen wrenches in stead of english ones... is that true?

Not a huge deal, but it would be something that would get annoying.

#13 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:57 AM

View PostFlamingoChavez, on Sep 18 2008, 08:34 AM, said:

View PostSteed, on Sep 17 2008, 06:58 AM, said:

If it's new you will get some lube, all your tools, a good barrel bascily everything you need from the start.

I heard somewhere that they use metric allen wrenches in stead of english ones... is that true?

Not a huge deal, but it would be something that would get annoying.

Not really. I work in the automotive industry. The fact some markers have standard was more of an annoyance at first. I'm so used to metric everything that metric was never a problem. I'm pretty sure my VS3 is metric, anyways. So it wouldn't be the only marker I have with metric allens.

#14 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

I'm not sure about hardware being metric or standard, frankly it's not an issue since they come with all the tools you need and some.

As for the 3k vs 4.5k price difference, there's a reason for that, most 4.5k tanks are considerably higher quality then 3k, materials, construction and regs are all considerably better with than a 3k bottle. Just don't get a Pure Energy system, trust me.

For the reg rebuild check youtube, there are quite afew good videos, there was a gent who did the A1 tear down for Mike at Techpb, I'd see if he has a video of it.

#15 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:11 AM

View PostSteed, on Sep 18 2008, 10:30 AM, said:

I'm not sure about hardware being metric or standard, frankly it's not an issue since they come with all the tools you need and some.

As for the 3k vs 4.5k price difference, there's a reason for that, most 4.5k tanks are considerably higher quality then 3k, materials, construction and regs are all considerably better with than a 3k bottle. Just don't get a Pure Energy system, trust me.

For the reg rebuild check youtube, there are quite afew good videos, there was a gent who did the A1 tear down for Mike at Techpb, I'd see if he has a video of it.

I can already tell you and I will have interesting conversations.

Very true, hardware is not an issue because they comes with kits for the most part. It's not an issue when I still have a boatload of tools at my disposal (most are worthless with regard to paintball markers) and the ways and means by which to work on anything. So, yes, tools are not that big of a deal.

My irritation is not the price different between the tanks, it's that the only local shop that fills them charges $6.50 for 3000psi (not too bad, really) but a whopping $15 to fill 4500psi tanks. It seems outlandish to me, but that's East Texas for you. I pay them to recalibrate the machine (bless their poor hearts for me inconveniencing them). I have no issue with Pure Energy, really. I have a 72ci Pure Energy and an oooooooold 115ci Nitro Duck. Haven't had issue with either.

What's the reason behind not trusting Pure Energy?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users