• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Safe alternative to flashbangs A good read Rate Topic: ****- 3 Votes

#1 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:19 AM

As we all know (or should know) Flashbangs in paintball are quite dangerous. They pose many medical problems including bleeding, burns, mild shock trauma, As well as danger to the environment like fires and when combined...a stunned blinded paintballer stumbling around in a fire that a flashbang created is not a very appealing sight well since I continue to see flashbang posts popping up. I decided to do a little shopping and find out what I could find for alternatives to hopefully eliminate all these problems.

The first part of a flashbang is the flash so I picked up two objects for this. First a disco strobe light. Very simple, Just turn it on and the bright flickering light should be plenty to disorient a paintballer not only that but it plays tricks on the mind which is great during night play if you run through it perhaps with a smoke as well. You appear to be going in slow-motion yet you are going full speed which will throw off someoneís aim however during daytime this product doesnít do a very well job for a stunning flash simply because it is not bright enough

The second flash object is a spotlight, One used for game or anything that has million+ candlelight spotlights (2 mill, 3 mill, seen up to 7mill using a hydrogen bulb and very complex foil all depends how much you are willing to spend. Edit: have seen some in the 250 million, so far the highest one a civillian can buy is 7mill HOWEVER I highly suggest you do not get over 3million. One or two will work perfectly there is really no need for something that powerful) with this you can control the flash. Quick pop to blind them for just a few seconds while you rush and eliminate the stunned individual, quick flicks on and off to simulate the strobe light except with a brighter flash or hold on full to force the opposing team to keep there heads down or risk being flashed. Very effective if you do not think so get one or just a regular flashlight and shine into an unsuspecting individual and ask if they were stunned

Now onto the bang, I had a bit of trouble with this on how to have an intense sound without medical complications but I think I found something that works remarkably well.

Went to radioshack and found a keychain personal safety device. Basically itís a small electronic no bigger than the head of a spoon, you pull the pin and it emits a 120db high-pitched tone. Essentially itís equivalent to about the sound of a jumbo jet taking off. This will be more than adequate to have paintballers putting down there gun and covering there ears while you rush in and take them out, I would suggest wearing ear plugs before using since sound effects all This product is also great if someone asks you to surrender. Pull the pin and while their stunned shoot them (if you play dirty and if you use flashbangs....yeah you more than likely do) they are also good for trip wires either as an alert when someone pulls the pin out or to stun them and shoot.

Now these products are.... annoying to say the least and your paintball field may not allow them so ask before attempting to use them however I have been able to find any long term effects or medical problems. They both wear off quickly, within 20 minutes maximum, do not cause fires or bleeding or internal balance being ruptured or any of the other problems with flashbangs..

If you do intend to implement flashbangs into your paintball game please I ask of you give these products a try first. Not only is there no medical problems but they are reusable, cheap, and do not have to deal with chemicals or that wonderful off chance a cop pulls you over and asks why you got a homemade bomb in your car

Edit: spelling

This post has been edited by Dream of Nullification: 22 September 2005 - 03:38 AM

#2 User is offline   Darthpredator 

• Delta 5
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Col. Darthpredator

Post icon  Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:46 AM

Good ideas, lets experiment and see what work best. It has beensaid thet paintball mines also produce a strong bang. never used one, but if somebody has, please post here about how strong is the bang of a PB mine.

#3 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:51 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a battery powered strobe light.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#4 User is offline   blackhawk1066 

• Red Stick Paintball
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:blackhawk1066

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:15 AM

Most flashes for cameras should have a test button on them to 'pop' them off. Spend a couple more bucks and you can get a larger one.

During day I don't think it'd be too good but any at night should be a bit disorienting for at least a moment or two. Even w/o a direct hit, the latent image of the scene will stay in the users eyes for at least a moment.

Dan-O

#5 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

Posted 22 September 2005 - 02:16 PM

^ Yeah camera are good too. And they work during the day as well, some of those flashlights and spotlights are like looking directly into the sun

If i had the funding im pretty sure i could make a completly electronic flashbang though a penny for my thoughts is over payed :huh:

I would like a mod to sticky this though, People will use flashbangs in paintball regardless of how many times they are told its unsafe, I just hope if they decide to do it they will atleast use these products instead.

#6 User is offline   Paintballer-001 

• FO SHO? or... NOT!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:22 PM

yes yes good ideas
IPB Image

#7 User is offline   Ninja Jones 

• Canadian Intergalactic Space Ninja Pimp
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ninja Jones

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:51 PM

Halogen lights are so incredibly bright, if used during a night game, your enemies would be disoriented for 5 minutes or more at least, and more so if theyre using night vision equipment...

#8 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:50 PM

Ninja Jones, on Sep 26 2005, 09:51 PM, said:

Halogen lights are so incredibly bright, if used during a night game, your enemies would be disoriented for 5 minutes or more at least, and more so if theyre using night vision equipment...

true but A thats the point of flashbangs to disorient your enemy and B it wont cause any damage like bleeding from your eye sockets or burning you when it lands too close to you

#9 User is offline   Captain Bozo 

• *Slime Trail*
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Captain Bozo

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:17 PM

They make flashing strobe light with a siren for old ladies at night, that would work ggod, just pull the pin and toss.
Or you could get a flashlight and scream.
<div align="center"><!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->The only thing worse than beating a dead horse is betting on one.
<a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=15622" target="_blank">The Bozo's feedback</a><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></div>

#10 Guest_whiteninja_*

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:13 PM

sweet ideas

#11 User is offline   SPADE26 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPADE26

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:34 PM

Very nice Dream of Nullification your research was in-depth and had objective analysis in it. Props to you.

I once saw a History Channel thing on Non-Lethal Weapons, and it was pretty cool, of course nothing at all can replace the sheer power of a Flashbang, which is why it's used in the real world, but your alternatives are excellent.

The main idea behind Non-lethal weapons is to shut down one (or more) of a human's body sense's. A flashbang, obviously emits a brgight flash of light, so bright that it temporarily shuts down the Human Body from only a second or two to being put out cold depending on the individual that it's being used against. The bang shuts down Human Body sytems as well, and again can stun enemy's anywhere from a second to knocking them out cold. A new thing that's come out is this super-ultra-mega-super-duper :) bright greenlight that's so powerfull that it's like 98% guranteed to shut down the Human Body sytem if aimed directly at the human's eyes. Our bodies can only take so much before collapsing and going into shick trauma.

I like your alternatives, while not potentially lethal, except to the fragile few they are the best alternatives to using the beloved Falshbangs.

And one last thing, I write articles for OCMI, (See Signiture) and i was wondering if I could send this one to them under your name and with additional commentary by me. But accredited to you for the research and writing behind the Report.

Good Job once again!

-SPADE-
OCMI Website Go check it out and read even more of my articles there, as well as reviews by the team on them, this site'll tell you that they actually DO work in real combat!

#12 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:44 PM

SPADE26, on Sep 28 2005, 06:34 PM, said:

Very nice Dream of Nullification your research was in-depth and had objective analysis in it. Props to you.

I once saw a History Channel thing on Non-Lethal Weapons, and it was pretty cool, of course nothing at all can replace the sheer power of a Flashbang, which is why it's used in the real world, but your alternatives are excellent.

The main idea behind Non-lethal weapons is to shut down one (or more) of a human's body sense's. A flashbang, obviously emits a brgight flash of light, so bright that it temporarily shuts down the Human Body from only a second or two to being put out cold depending on the individual that it's being used against. The bang shuts down Human Body sytems as well, and again can stun enemy's anywhere from a second to knocking them out cold. A new thing that's come out is this super-ultra-mega-super-duper :wacko: bright greenlight that's so powerfull that it's like 98% guranteed to shut down the Human Body sytem if aimed directly at the human's eyes. Our bodies can only take so much before collapsing and going into shick trauma.

I like your alternatives, while not potentially lethal, except to the fragile few they are the best alternatives to using the beloved Falshbangs.

And one last thing, I write articles for OCMI, (See Signiture) and i was wondering if I could send this one to them under your name and with additional commentary by me. But accredited to you for the research and writing behind the Report.

Good Job once again!

-SPADE-

Awesome reply. Thank you allot for your input. I figure the bang is the most work due to your internal balance is located right under your ear so a loud bang would easily disrupt it this is what would cause the disorientation the flash primarily I believe is when taking down suspects as even though you are disoriented you can still see thus still aim and fire your weapon effectively though yes it does shut down your entire body including muscle control needed to squeeze the trigger, although they can still be a threat even after a flashbang. Anyways the flash is to quickly and forcefully pinpoint the pupils through a strong flash of light. (Hinting our name flashbang)

The thing about the green light interests me, does the actual green tint have any effect or is it the light? Perhaps I should experiment with color tints to discover if a different color of light would make a difference

Yes I do like the thought its not lethal nor medically harmful like burns or the actual shockwave given off through the explosion of the flashbang that causes the bang part the shockwave of the blast is eliminated with electronics and I believe that is what causes the bleeding of the ears and eye's tear ducks is the actual shockwave when landed too closely

While I did write it for paintball it could also be helpful in military and law enforcement. If swat teams are forced to use flashbangs then of course they must use them but if we can eliminate the risks we can be more quick to use them if they can help to successfully take down someone who could put others in harms way without needing to worry about endangering others through neglect of using them to endanger the officer or endanger hostages that might be burned by the flashbang

Sounds fine with me if you wish to publish it, your welcome to post questions publicly or privately if you want commentary on it all. Iím not quite sure who OCMI is so a link for them would be nice.

Also if they are into this as a research group or know of one id be glad to help design a proto type. Aside from the medical standpoint the key feature I like about this idea is the fact its reusable, aside from perhaps replacing batteries it can be used over and over, which is great for paintballers.

Do you think OCMI or anyone into weapon development would hire me as a product designer? That would be a dream job as i love all things technology and to create products.

#13 User is offline   SPADE26 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPADE26

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:05 PM

Product Designer, sweet dream, OCMI, (In My Signiture) just asked me to write a few articles for them about one every week, and this is quite a good article to put in their, but they're not anywhere big enough to start designing products yet, they're a smaller team still and are still beginning, sadly I don't know anybody who could hire you for a Product Desginer, but their are plenty of military men here at Spec-Ops, you could ask them if they could search a bit about ACTUAL weapons designing, if you're interested in that.

That's a good point you have here about the color tints, I had said that because I saw it on TV nothing more, I neglected to reason WHY they used Green Light on it, but if you can find out i'd be rather interested to find out more about it, if color tints have any advantages and disadvantages over each other.....

That's too true, the goal of any Rescue Team, SWAT, H.R.T. even regular Police Forces, to Counter Terrorist Teams, the goal is the same, save the hostages and capture the bad guys/kill them. As capturing them is about a 1/1,000,000,000 chance of happening. Many times flashbangs aren't used BECAUSE of this reason, it would be pretty sweet if ypu could come up with a new 'flashbang' type weapon. Good Luck.

One als tthing, tahnks for allowing me to use it on the OCMI Website, I'll make sure top get your name out at least on that site!

-SPADE-
OCMI Website Go check it out and read even more of my articles there, as well as reviews by the team on them, this site'll tell you that they actually DO work in real combat!

#14 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:40 PM

I might get myself some tinting film and put it on lens for 1 mill candle spotlights and try to find a test subject to rate each film color on brightness, effectiveness on vision, lasting of the blindness and the such. I was thinking more about it last night and the diffrent colors would also be benificial for law enforcement teams because they could have a special tint on there face sheilds to nutralize the color of the light so when they rush in they are not blinded because there masks are designed to block the light that way only the suspect and unfortunate hostages are effected by the flashbang. Another great part about the electronic flashbang is the fact that once its turned on it can be set say VIA a key or combination to not be turned off untill it is reset from that key that way instead of a chemical where it makes an explosion and you only have a flash and bang for a fraction of a second to give law enforcement teams 7 seconds tops to storm in and take down the suspect the swat now can have the flashbang on for the entire duration of the takedown and the suspect will be unable to shut it off

Sure if anyone here knows of a weapon designer or knows of someone i can speak to about helping me fund this idea and getting it into production that would be great. I would like to see this created. Im sure i could just rig up some camera flashlights and a siren as a homemade one but would like a commercial version developed

Most articles i have found the flash-bang are rated at roughly 1-2 million candela and around 190-210 DB so an electronic one that is just as effective or even more effective is highly plausable

This post has been edited by Dream of Nullification: 29 September 2005 - 03:48 PM

#15 User is offline   somguye 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:somguye

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:42 PM

Just a quick warning: Do not try blue light!
Blue light is too high energy to safely shine in someone's eyes at a high intensity.

Blue light is what is used to dry to cement used to bond braces to teeth. If you have ever seen or had this procedure performed, you will know how painful it is to look directly at a blue light source. It causes permanent damage to the eyes. (Don't claim that the sky is a source of bluelight)

Have you ever seen one of those little keychain LED lights? My friend had a blue one of those and he blinded me for about 5 minutes with it. (Not actually blind, but I had some serious spots and pain from it) Just imagine something much stronger than those.

Sorry for the rambling
SomGuye
user posted imageuser posted image

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users