Special Ops Paintball: laser pointers - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

laser pointers whats your take on laser pointers?

Poll: laser pointers (72 member(s) have cast votes)

do you think laser pointers should be allowed at paintball fields?

1. YES (30 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

2. NO (42 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   komikaze 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:komikaze

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:15 AM

IDK.........
I'v had no complaints or issues using my laser.
I switched f/a dot sight to the laser b/c it's much mor accurate.
With good quality paintballs I can hit 2" marks accurately from a good distance.
My laser is adjusted low, approximately at the opponents waist to hit the mask.
I have a 30mW laser that shows up in the woods in daytime with no prob.

If a field ask me not to use it....
no prob.... it's on a pressure switch I can unplug :P
I figured.... I know the danger & I'd hate to have a laser hit my eye...
I give the respect to others, but not everyone is respectful......................

#17 User is offline   CANYOUSEEME? 

• Non-forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Canyouseeme?

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:28 PM

I've never had good experiences with them in terms of accuracy, and they can damage eyes.
Rock the Snake!
Bill, You made a mistake coming here to the internet paintball community. These people will not be put off, will not accept partial answers and will hold you accountable for everything you say. They are not your typical customer. Even through all the bickering and flaming, the collective consciousness of this community sits at nothing less than the genius level. They are the highest and best of what paintball has to offer. I have trusted and turned to them for years and they have allowed me to walk among them for which I am grateful.
Tom kaye

#18 User is offline   Stang  

• Invictus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

You guys saying lasers are harmless are thinking of cheap dollar store lasers. Laser pointers can get upwards of $300, these laser pointers, needless to say, are pretty powerful. I've seen them cut through paper, etc. Not exactly harmless to your retina either. I say "no" to lasers on the field.

#19 User is offline   HEINEKIN 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:HEINEKIN

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:06 PM

View PostSpudCrushr, on Sep 11 2007, 04:34 PM, said:

View PostGdude2008, on Sep 11 2007, 06:52 PM, said:

No, there really isn't any advantage by using them. A paintball can't follow the path of laser and if it's sunny you probably can't even see it. I also wouldn't want anyone to loose or damage their sight due to some kid who thought his laser would help him get more hits. Also, there is the insurance risk for the field.

Well yeah, no point in using lasers in the day, but at night they work. And paintballs CAN follow a laser dot as long as the target isn't 1,000 yards away.. A laser is JUST as helpful as a scope or dot sight in terms of letting you know where the paintball is likely to go. By saying lasers are useless you are saying all sights are useless.

in order for anything to follow the path of a lazer it has to fly striaght at a flat trajectory. paintballs dond they arc. even if you use a flatline or apex the ball still wont follw the lazer.

View PostAGDgirl, on Sep 17 2007, 08:30 PM, said:

Laser pointers are useful for night games to point out locations of the enemy. You have to be hit directly for a long time period (I can't remember exactly 30 or 60 seconds) directly in the eye to cause damage. Most of the time someone is quickly going to light an area up an immediately turn the laser off. I have been using lasers for night games for about 3 years. They do work for what I use them for.

this is the only use I can think of for a lazer in paintball. the down side is you can usualy find the person that is useing it. if its pionting at me I'll probably just move over and try to find the person who has it and stalk them. that's where night vision devices (NVD) are great. lazers are verry visible with any NVD, and they are pretty cheap for a base model (gen 1). which is all you need for night games or to see the source of a lazer.

#20 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:23 PM

Regardless if Laser Pointers are Harmful to the Human Eye or Not, Laser Pointers are Totally Useless in Paintball, even if the Game is a Scenario because you'd just be giving away your position on the Field to the OpFor, especially when its used in a Night Game.

Also if one use Lasers in some CQB Action, the OpFor would also be alerted right away of your presence.

#21 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:09 PM

View PostStang, on Sep 30 2007, 02:35 PM, said:

You guys saying lasers are harmless are thinking of cheap dollar store lasers. Laser pointers can get upwards of $300, these laser pointers, needless to say, are pretty powerful. I've seen them cut through paper, etc. Not exactly harmless to your retina either. I say "no" to lasers on the field.

QFT.

The cheap lasers everyone here speaks of aren't really harmful, but the more expensive ones definetly can be.

I see no advantage to a laser, for either paintball or real world application, but especially paintball. A bullet does not fire straight as a laser beam (in fact it travels a little up and then down, parabolically), a paintball is even worse though in terms of accuracy.

No real benefit to be gained with the possibility of an idiot injuring someone with a higher end laser equates to a big "no" for me (and I tend to be pretty easy going about what is allowed on the field).
Member of Team Akkadian

#22 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C9H13NO3

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:37 AM

I don't know about the cheap lasers, but the laser sights we use in the military are harmful. We wear laser eye protection any time we are in an area they will be used heavily.

#23 User is offline   The Angry Platypus 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:29 PM

View PostThalion, on Oct 2 2007, 01:09 AM, said:

View PostStang, on Sep 30 2007, 02:35 PM, said:

QFT.

The cheap lasers everyone here speaks of aren't really harmful, but the more expensive ones definetly can be.

I see no advantage to a laser, for either paintball or real world application, but especially paintball. A bullet does not fire straight as a laser beam (in fact it travels a little up and then down, parabolically), a paintball is even worse though in terms of accuracy.

No real benefit to be gained with the possibility of an idiot injuring someone with a higher end laser equates to a big "no" for me (and I tend to be pretty easy going about what is allowed on the field).

Cut paper?! Wow. I never knew that.... Well I was going to say no anyways.
Thalassa kai pur kai gune, kaka tria.
To gar hedu, ean polu, ou ti ge hedu.

#24 User is offline   ckblum 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

Go ahead and put it on for looks, your mostly gonna get laughed at though. I try not to attach a bunch of useless junk to my marker, exception maybe being a flashlight in a night game. Even then Id prefer cheap NVG's for near the same price as a good torchlight.

Also I practice and I know where my paintballs are gonna go better than some kid with a laser (straight line, arched shot?? your still guessing).
My strength comes from the Lord.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Want wood grips? HERE

Formerly Deputy_Brad

#25 User is offline   P V 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:27 PM

i personally believe lasers should be allowed on the feild with restrictions.
.. everyone should be aware that one or more lasers are in use
.. mW power restriction
.. and also if the laser is used dangerously (purposly pointed in someones face outside of taking aim)

i use lasers all the time, i use both red and green lasers on both my markers, and hand held,
1. to aim while holding the marker over my head
2. to designate a target, waypoint, or anything of interest
3. to communicate with teammates in a pinch
4. to hold an enemy's position, i snipe and am often alone, and laser(s) can be useful to keep a group of guys' heads down.. simply shine it on the tree just over their heads.
5. aim from a mirror or periscope while trapped or pinned in a bunker/bush/ or tree.
6. give you quick on the fly sight information... if you know where your sight lays from your laser, you know if it's been knocked or someones messed with your windage.
7. need anyother reasons?

i have left these forums do to unequal moderation, please feel free to email/MSN me for all communication

#26 User is offline   ks~gunner 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:19 PM

View PostCERTIFIED PAINTBALLER, on Sep 5 2007, 06:59 PM, said:

No because it could harm someone's eyesight.

This point was made over and over agian, but still needs to be reenforced. You could cause someone to go blind, also if you go in a game w/ 20-20 vision and then someone shines a laser in your eye and then your vission get realy bad to were you have to hold something right up to your face to read it then you'll think about how much laser hurt your eyes.

View PostAGDgirl, on Sep 17 2007, 08:30 PM, said:

Laser pointers are useful for night games to point out locations of the enemy. You have to be hit directly for a long time period (I can't remember exactly 30 or 60 seconds) directly in the eye to cause damage. Most of the time someone is quickly going to light an area up an immediately turn the laser off. I have been using lasers for night games for about 3 years. They do work for what I use them for.

Ok real quick if you can see the laser then people can follow that laser back to you or they can look for the light that it gives off.

Why would you even want to use a laser in the day time? The laser is going to be so light you probally couldn't see it in the first place.

I VOTED NO ON LASERS.

#27 User is offline   oerllikon 

• All closed bolt.... Awwww yeeaah
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SIA5 Dagger

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

View PostCERTIFIED PAINTBALLER, on Sep 5 2007, 08:59 PM, said:

No because it could harm someone's eyesight.

what i was going to say. but they can also be abused. like shining it in someones eyes deliberately.

just not the way to go, says this observer

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users