• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cold Ion Has this happend to you?

#1 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Galihad

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

alright so today was a wonderful day for paintball, about 40 degrees outside, no wind, cold friendly paint, my Ion, HPA, and a field full of newbies (four of the Marines fresh from boot camp)

needless to say I had an amazing time shooting people left and right (I got out 3 times, played 10+ games) until about 3 hours into the day we play our first game on a speedball field (time to open up right?) I get to the snake and start to fire pull the trigger and... nothing.... absolutly nothing I turn my eyes off thinking it may be a problem there, still nothing eventually I got shot out so I go and start to strip down my Ion and figure out what the heck is wrong, since this is the first time I have ever encountered a problem with it or any other of my markers (I baby them)

one complete strip down, relube and inspection later and still nothing, I had managed to miss two more speedball games so I just borrowed a rental for my friend and took back my A-5 for the rest of the day

get back home and I air it up and it starts shooting like its brand new... so it seems that while the Ion can handle the cold for a good amount of time, it takes its toll. my question is has anyone had this or something similar happen to them? and to give another possibility for Ion trouble-shooting on a cold field day
Christian paintballers -beating the hell out of satan with tiny balls-
Sabre #117
My feedback!:click here

#2 User is offline   Shmilling 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPECIAl OPS 24/7

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:05 PM

my ion did the same thing all i did was clean the solenoid and i started to work again I never did find out what the problem was but i suggest cleaning the solenoid and see what happens wish i could give you more help, but like i said i was never sure what my problem was ether .

#3 User is offline   mongoman 

• mongoman
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:104914

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:27 PM

I had a problem like that and like all problems with the ion first thing to do is change the battery. In my case the new bat took care of the problem, but also found some moisture around the winding of the solinoid valve. I too use hpa and it was a dry day so I am not sure where the moisture came from unless it is moisture in the hpa tank. If it had time to dry out maybe that is why it worked when you got home.

#4 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

I've played with my Ion in subzero weather playing speedball, ramping 15 bps. I don't know, a lot can affect it. Humidity and cold weather probably aren't a good combo for the Ion.

#5 User is offline   focus 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Focus

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:28 PM

Battery ran down. After sitting a while it bounced back a bit.
Just a guess, but it seems like if anything ever stops working on the ion, the first thing to check is the battery.

Work hard, play hard.. In that order.

#6 User is offline   DvS21 

• Duct Tape; saving lives since 1942
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Raiden21

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:36 PM

the battery can lose power in the cold weather actually. It happens with my iPod all the time in the winter when I walk to the bus stop in the cold, what else can you do =[

PBN Feedback AO Feedback SOP Feedback
"We could do a raffle, I've got some random bowling trophies somewhere. Everyone needs a bowling trophy." - DigitalPirate
"No, Puzuma, please tea bag me for free......actually....after that statement....I don't even care"- Deuce
"So what? She had sex in your bed... Somebody had to, and obviously you dropped the ball..." - Jones

#7 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:47 PM

View PostDvS21, on Nov 24 2007, 09:36 PM, said:

the battery can lose power in the cold weather actually. It happens with my iPod all the time in the winter when I walk to the bus stop in the cold, what else can you do =[

Exactly. The lower temperatures drain the battery quite fast, and this can cause some of the problems you described. Also, waiting until you got home, turning the marker back on, allowed two things: the solenoid and battery to warm up, and the battery to settle and regain some of its charge.

View Postmongoman, on Nov 24 2007, 08:27 PM, said:

I had a problem like that and like all problems with the ion first thing to do is change the battery. In my case the new bat took care of the problem, but also found some moisture around the winding of the solinoid valve. I too use hpa and it was a dry day so I am not sure where the moisture came from unless it is moisture in the hpa tank. If it had time to dry out maybe that is why it worked when you got home.

There's ALWAYS humidity in the air, no matter how dry it is. To create a perfectly dry pocket of air, it has to be man-made. Not even the center of the Sahara Desert has a 0% humidity level. Air in nature always has some moisture in it.

If there's less humidity, condensation can still form, it just needs to have a lower surface temperature to finally form. The lower the humidity, the lower the necessary "coldness". Moving that much air (HPA) through the body, in addition to the season's tendency for cold, probably caused the condensation on your solenoid.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#8 User is offline   mongoman 

• mongoman
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:104914

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:50 PM

View PostJackRock, on Nov 24 2007, 09:47 PM, said:

Exactly. The lower temperatures drain the battery quite fast, and this can cause some of the problems you described. Also, waiting until you got home, turning the marker back on, allowed two things: the solenoid and battery to warm up, and the battery to settle and regain some of its charge.

View Postmongoman, on Nov 24 2007, 08:27 PM, said:

There's ALWAYS humidity in the air, no matter how dry it is. To create a perfectly dry pocket of air, it has to be man-made. Not even the center of the Sahara Desert has a 0% humidity level. Air in nature always has some moisture in it.

If there's less humidity, condensation can still form, it just needs to have a lower surface temperature to finally form. The lower the humidity, the lower the necessary "coldness". Moving that much air (HPA) through the body, in addition to the season's tendency for cold, probably caused the condensation on your solenoid.

true like I said the new battery took care of my problem on the field i noticed the moisture at that time but it was verry small amount, dried it put in new bat and no problem after that

#9 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

View PostJackRock, on Nov 24 2007, 10:47 PM, said:

the battery drain is good to know, would also explain why my revy went down. This is why I use a rechargeable Energizer!

and I can't wait for them to create the perfect 0% humidity area just for a paintball stadium :dodgy: can you say World Cup?

This post has been edited by Galihad: 24 November 2007 - 10:48 PM

Sabre #117

#10 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:08 PM

View PostGalihad, on Nov 24 2007, 10:46 PM, said:

and I can't wait for them to create the perfect 0% humidity area just for a paintball stadium :dodgy: can you say World Cup?

No, you do not. A few minutes of such a condition, and your nose is bleeding non stop. An hour, you might be in unconscious from the blood loss. A full day, and you're probably dead.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#11 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:03 AM

View PostJackRock, on Nov 25 2007, 12:08 AM, said:

View PostGalihad, on Nov 24 2007, 10:46 PM, said:

No, you do not. A few minutes of such a condition, and your nose is bleeding non stop. An hour, you might be in unconscious from the blood loss. A full day, and you're probably dead.

just more incentive to win, and win fast. Thats what speedballers are all about anyways right ;)

but you are right, I forgot about that whole we are made of water and need humidity thing.... stupid science with your logic
Sabre #117

#12 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

quick update, I got everything all fixed up and you'll never guess what the problem was

the battery strikes again, however this is a great learning experience and while its unfortunate to have it happen, I'd rather have it happen when it did so I know whats going on

so take an extra battery if you go out to play in colder weather!!

or if you own an ion....
Sabre #117

#13 User is offline   DZ Unit-1 

• Cacophony Pony
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DZ Unit-1

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

hmmm, never encountered that problem before...
Posted Image
"and DZ, I love that pic so much. If you were a girl, and not just a dude who looked like a girl, I would kiss you." mrwaterbuffalo, 1:17 AM "DZ, what are you?" -SnV- "He are legend." -Veritech Squad-

#14 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

View PostDZ Unit-1, on Nov 27 2007, 12:33 AM, said:

[/sarcasm]

Fixed :laugh:. No one has ever owned an Ion without strange behavior from the battery lol.

#15 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:59 PM

View PostPhilipp122, on Nov 27 2007, 07:22 PM, said:

View PostDZ Unit-1, on Nov 27 2007, 12:33 AM, said:

[/sarcasm]

Fixed :dodgy:. No one has ever owned an Ion without strange behavior from the battery lol.

lol I hadn't had any problems until the other day, and I've had my ion for several months so I understand DZ and I just keep our monsters fed
Sabre #117

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users