Special Ops Paintball: Vet Faces Lawsuit For Flying American Flag - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Vet Faces Lawsuit For Flying American Flag Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Suicidal Lemming 

• Yes, that is a lemming with an AK in my avatar, 2 points to you.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Phoenixblade UK

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

View PostDeschaine, on May 28 2008, 04:45 PM, said:

Hmph. Call me a cynic but I'm not surprised, this was bound to happen. In a country where you can sue because your coffee is hot and you manage to spill it on yourself, and where you can sue because someone related to you was killed while breaking into a house... AND WIN! Ugh.

I'm not sure whats worse... this or having someone steal the flag off your house.

How have people ever won these lawsuits? What the hell is wrong with the jury?
I'd love to be on the jury for a claim like that... I'd never back down, you'd have to kill me before they get money for crap like that.

Also they're both pretty bad... seems wrong to steal a flag, more wrong than general stealing...
IBTL
In Before The Lock

#17 User is offline   piccardalpha3 

• dragonzord pwns
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:piccardalpha3

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

if you read the article it says that
state law says that a flag can be flown as long as it is removeable

#18 User is offline   Elmer 

• Its Paintball Season!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Elmer

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

He should up the ante and erect a wooden cross/star of David or what ever floats his boat next to the flag pole. Ticking them off a lot then back up to tick them off a little some times helps people realize that a little isn't too bad.

Elmer J. Fudd
"I own a Tippmann and some shot."

#19 User is offline   Mech CB 

• Warn: (50%)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical CB

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:25 AM

I'd fly the flag until told otherwise by a judge...

#20 User is offline   Stang  

• Invictus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

View PostSuicidal Lemming, on May 28 2008, 11:00 AM, said:

View PostDeschaine, on May 28 2008, 04:45 PM, said:

Hmph. Call me a cynic but I'm not surprised, this was bound to happen. In a country where you can sue because your coffee is hot and you manage to spill it on yourself, and where you can sue because someone related to you was killed while breaking into a house... AND WIN! Ugh.

I'm not sure whats worse... this or having someone steal the flag off your house.

How have people ever won these lawsuits? What the hell is wrong with the jury?
I'd love to be on the jury for a claim like that... I'd never back down, you'd have to kill me before they get money for crap like that.

Also they're both pretty bad... seems wrong to steal a flag, more wrong than general stealing...

Most of the outrageous claims you hear with these cases are settled out of court. Especially those dealing with major companies.

This post has been edited by Stang : 28 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

#21 User is offline   doubleshot 

• Yeah I put up with Doug...I'm not sure why
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:doubleshot

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

I think the HOA is going to end up lowering the value of their homes with this whole lawsuit because no one will want to move to that neighborhood and live under their rules!

sometimes it pays to think before you act...apparantly this particular HOA didn't think before they told someone (regardless of if they're a vet or not) to take their flag down :dry:

Markers are kind of like Harleys...if you haven't customized it to make it your own...you probably just haven't saved up the $$ yet

#22 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:04 AM

But state law said anyone can display a flag in a "respectful manner" as long as it is removable, Local 6 reported.

The questions to answer is: Is the HOA complaining the 20' flag pole isn't removable? Is the flagpole a new addition to the property?

I think Local 6 has horribly simplified the issue to evoke a reaction. With the HOA not making a statement it just makes them look bad.

The HOA is good in that it tries to maintain a nice happy community but so many of the rules seem to be arbitrary.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#23 User is offline   Cassius Allanus 

• Your God
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:CassiusAllanus

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:14 AM

The general home owners Assocation requires you to cut your grass,keep your side walk clean,and having a certain type of for-sale sign.

Making sure one's property and area immediately surrounding one's property are maintained is what municipal by-laws are for. Why would an HOA even concern itself with that? But I agree, the concept of an HOA seems quite stupid. That said, we do have community leagues, and the one for my area is actually doing useful things, like working with the city to have a recreation centre built for this part of the city, or putting on "free" summer BBQs/breakfasts in the park. Those kinds of things, in my opinion, are what HOAs / community leagues should be for.

This post has been edited by Cassius Allanus: 28 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

AIM: CassiusAllanus | MSN: Brendon.Allan@shaw.ca | XFire: enlighteneddespot | E-MAIL: Brendon.Allan@shaw.ca | ESO2: HG_CassiusA | Steam: cassiusallanus

The OFFICIAL Tiberius Arms forums are up!

#24 User is offline   Texas Trigger 

• Nothin' but the rain...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:22 AM

Dear God....
I'm here, Benjie, I'm here, I said, clasping his hand on my arm.
Help me Rootie, my legs won't move.
Aw Benjie, it'll be okay Benj, I'll give you mine

USAFA '12.

#25 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:26 AM

Municipal bylaws aren't always enforced though or are enforced almost at random.

There's a guy that lives down the street from us who didn't mow his lawn at all last year. As I understand it a couple of folks called by law enforcement and the guy was ticketed $40.00. So far this year he hasn't mowed either. Most cities only have a few bylaw enforcement officers to try and keep things in check leaving people to do what every they want for the most part. HOA are supposed to fill in the gap.

But what do I know? Here in Canada the only places I know that have an HOA are Condos. They tend to be run more along the lines an apartment building.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#26 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Meline

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

From a legal standpoint, I hate to say it, but this guys doesn't have a chance of winning.

However I hope to God he fights it, as the PR black eye the HOA will get from attempting through a lawsuit to make somebody take down an America flag will do more to lower property values than his flag supposably ever did.
CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

#27 User is offline   Cassius Allanus 

• Your God
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:CassiusAllanus

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:15 AM

Ahh, I see. Maybe it just helps that an EPS officer lives on my street :comp:
AIM: CassiusAllanus | MSN: Brendon.Allan@shaw.ca | XFire: enlighteneddespot | E-MAIL: Brendon.Allan@shaw.ca | ESO2: HG_CassiusA | Steam: cassiusallanus

The OFFICIAL Tiberius Arms forums are up!

#28 User is offline   STAZ211 

• Do it........i dare you
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STAZ211

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

View PostMechanical CB, on May 28 2008, 12:25 PM, said:

I'd fly the flag until told otherwise by a judge...

id still fly it after they told me i couldnt
"Let he who desires peace prepare for war..."

"Home of the free, because of the brave..."

#29 User is offline   AaronC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:43 AM

Just to play devil's advocate here but you can't pick and choose what rules you want to obey. If you like that people have to cut their lawn and not paint their homes neon orange you can't get upset when they tell you you can't have your flag. If you don't like HOAs than don't buy a home that comes with one it is just that easy. The only that is an issue here is that Americans seem to love anything to do with the military and the flag (which makes this story twice as newsworthy) if this guy had gotten upset because he couldn't store his collection of rusty cars out front we'd never even hear about it at all.

#30 User is offline   General Biggles 

• The Horde Consumes... And You're Next.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:General Biggles

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

View PostAaronC, on May 28 2008, 12:43 PM, said:

Just to play devil's advocate here but you can't pick and choose what rules you want to obey. If you like that people have to cut their lawn and not paint their homes neon orange you can't get upset when they tell you you can't have your flag. If you don't like HOAs than don't buy a home that comes with one it is just that easy. The only that is an issue here is that Americans seem to love anything to do with the military and the flag (which makes this story twice as newsworthy) if this guy had gotten upset because he couldn't store his collection of rusty cars out front we'd never even hear about it at all.

That's why I will never move into an HOA neighborhood. I think people should be able to paint their house Neon Orange if they want, fly a freaking Jolly Roger for all I care, just don't tell me what to do with my property.

Patriotism FTW, Fly that flag old man. :comp: :usa:
What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users