Special Ops Paintball: Swat Shields - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Swat Shields

Poll: Swat shields (140 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you want one?

  1. Yes (56 votes [40.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 40.00%

  2. No (34 votes [24.29%])

    Percentage of vote: 24.29%

  3. I would Build my own (50 votes [35.71%])

    Percentage of vote: 35.71%

How much would you pay for one?

  1. $40 (43 votes [30.71%])

    Percentage of vote: 30.71%

  2. $60 (24 votes [17.14%])

    Percentage of vote: 17.14%

  3. $80 (7 votes [5.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 5.00%

  4. $100 and up (3 votes [2.14%])

    Percentage of vote: 2.14%

  5. I wouldn't buy one (63 votes [45.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 45.00%

Do you think it would be fair?

  1. Yes (28 votes [20.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 20.00%

  2. No (28 votes [20.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 20.00%

  3. In some Cases (explain) (34 votes [24.29%])

    Percentage of vote: 24.29%

  4. Only in scenario games (50 votes [35.71%])

    Percentage of vote: 35.71%

What should it be made of?

  1. Hard Plastic (107 votes [76.43%])

    Percentage of vote: 76.43%

  2. Metal Alloy (14 votes [10.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 10.00%

  3. other (explain) (19 votes [13.57%])

    Percentage of vote: 13.57%

How much would it weigh?

  1. Realistic (29 votes [20.71%])

    Percentage of vote: 20.71%

  2. Half Weight (31 votes [22.14%])

    Percentage of vote: 22.14%

  3. As light as possible (80 votes [57.14%])

    Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Vote

#1 User is offline   FrozenCannuk 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 160
  • Joined: 04-November 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Swan River, Manitoba, Canada
  • Brigade Name:Sled_Neck270

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:22 PM

Me and my friends have our own urban-style field, and sometimes people were too scared to rush the buildings, so i was thinking that a swat shield would be cool. I was thinking of simply making my own out of 1 inch square tubing for a frame, with a tin body, and a Plexiglas window. That would probably be good enough for us out here in the boonies, but some of the more hardcore scenario players might want something a little more real looking. I'm not sure if Special ops would be interested in this one, but ideally, it would probably weigh half or a third of a real one, either made of some kind of Metal alloy, or preferably hard plastic.

I thought it was a neat idea, and would add another level to the game, especially in urban-style fields.

This post has been edited by FrozenCannuk: 06 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

Stupidity killed the cat, Curiosity was blamed.
Vegetarian- (adj) An old Navajo word for "Bad Hunter"
Jesus may be able to walk on water, but chuck norris can swim through dry land
Some people are alive for the simple reason that it is illegal to shoot them
My feedback My Wishlist How To Prevent Gear Theft
0

#2 User is offline   betasniper 

  • A four dimensional object
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 422
  • Joined: 10-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A place close to water.
  • Brigade Name:betasniper

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

It would be nice for senarios, but it could be used on a casual field. The only people you may have to convince would be the owner of your field. I would use one if it can fold up to about the size of a comp screen.
Wikipedia is the Walmart of knowledge, they have everything, but it is all tainted one way or another. If you spit on your monitor, your saliva becomes a rainbow, this is Microsoft's form of "optimism". One way to know if your lazy is if you use print preview, because you can't press the print button your self.
Zdspb-Marker Animations Long list of working markers, visit if confused Click here!!! Auxiliary Grammar Police #13 225Bp
If you collect coins, you're an economist. If you collect rocks, you're a geologist. if you collect death threats, you're the president.
"Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead."-Long Wood, MY AWESOME WEBSITE!!!once you've gone shameless, you'll never go blameless As I lay in bed, I looked at the stars and thought, where the hell is my ceiling? "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..
0

#3 User is offline   Dib 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 111
  • Joined: 17-October 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Salem, Or
  • Brigade Name:Dib

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:46 PM

IMO SWAT shields are a great item to have in a scenerio game, as your going for a certain level of reality. Modern police forces and militaries have bullet proof shields. On the other hand, paintball is not made to be realistic. Most fields have rules that if you get hit in any item on your person you're out. And as this shield is just as much part of your person as say your paintball marker, then if the shield gets hit your out. I've never been a fan of this rule as a soldier in the field, whos rifle has been destroyed by enemy fire is very much still a threat. It just depends on how realistic , while being safe,you want your games to get. :P Have as much fun making props and armor/shiels as you want as long as everyone agrees what the rules for them are. :P
If he rips my arms off, I'll kick him to death.
If he rips my legs off, I'll bite him to death.
If he rips my head off, I'll stare him to death.
And if he gouges my eyes out, I'll curse him from beyond the grave.
0

#4 User is offline   FirstTarget 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 18-February 09
  • Brigade Name:FirstTarget

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:21 AM

When I ref I use a shield made from a 55 gallon plastic drum. It has the approximate size and weight of a swat version. For use in a game as a player I would have to consider a lot of rules to allow it. Might work as a prop, might not.
0

#5 User is offline   FrozenCannuk 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 160
  • Joined: 04-November 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Swan River, Manitoba, Canada
  • Brigade Name:Sled_Neck270

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

View Postbetasniper, on Mar 6 2009, 10:28 PM, said:

It would be nice for senarios, but it could be used on a casual field. The only people you may have to convince would be the owner of your field. I would use one if it can fold up to about the size of a comp screen.


That would probably be nice, but more expensive, and it might wear out faster, and it would be hard to clean in the joints, as apposed to just bustin out the garden hose.

And on the 55 gallon drum thing, that would probably be a better idea than what i'm thinking now, cause you could paint it, it would be lighter, and curved (get more bounces)... just might be hard to find one in good enough shape

Also, i was thinking put the Plexiglas on a hinge so you could put it up when it got to too shot up.

Arm straps is kinda stumping me right now, i was kinda thinking modifying some ski bindings, but i'm not sure if that will work... what did you use First target?

Another thing, is there a way to paint galvanized tin?

This post has been edited by FrozenCannuk: 07 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

Stupidity killed the cat, Curiosity was blamed.
Vegetarian- (adj) An old Navajo word for "Bad Hunter"
Jesus may be able to walk on water, but chuck norris can swim through dry land
Some people are alive for the simple reason that it is illegal to shoot them
My feedback My Wishlist How To Prevent Gear Theft
0

#6 User is offline   MaDuce 

  • Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,054
  • Joined: 02-July 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

View PostFrozenCannuk, on Mar 7 2009, 09:59 AM, said:

View Postbetasniper, on Mar 6 2009, 10:28 PM, said:

It would be nice for senarios, but it could be used on a casual field. The only people you may have to convince would be the owner of your field. I would use one if it can fold up to about the size of a comp screen.


That would probably be nice, but more expensive, and it might wear out faster, and it would be hard to clean in the joints, as apposed to just bustin out the garden hose.

And on the 55 gallon drum thing, that would probably be a better idea than what i'm thinking now, cause you could paint it, it would be lighter, and curved (get more bounces)... just might be hard to find one in good enough shape

Also, i was thinking put the Plexiglas on a hinge so you could put it up when it got to too shot up.

Arm straps is kinda stumping me right now, i was kinda thinking modifying some ski bindings, but i'm not sure if that will work... what did you use First target?

Another thing, is there a way to paint galvanized tin?


I would go simple--very simple. Get a 3' by 5' piece of particle board. Maybe cut out a hole and cover it up with a small piece of plexiglass screwed over it. I'd cut up an old belt to use for straps.
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex
0

#7 User is offline   FrozenCannuk 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 160
  • Joined: 04-November 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Swan River, Manitoba, Canada
  • Brigade Name:Sled_Neck270

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

View PostMaDuce, on Mar 7 2009, 02:35 PM, said:

View PostFrozenCannuk, on Mar 7 2009, 09:59 AM, said:

View Postbetasniper, on Mar 6 2009, 10:28 PM, said:

It would be nice for senarios, but it could be used on a casual field. The only people you may have to convince would be the owner of your field. I would use one if it can fold up to about the size of a comp screen.


That would probably be nice, but more expensive, and it might wear out faster, and it would be hard to clean in the joints, as apposed to just bustin out the garden hose.

And on the 55 gallon drum thing, that would probably be a better idea than what i'm thinking now, cause you could paint it, it would be lighter, and curved (get more bounces)... just might be hard to find one in good enough shape

Also, i was thinking put the Plexiglas on a hinge so you could put it up when it got to too shot up.

Arm straps is kinda stumping me right now, i was kinda thinking modifying some ski bindings, but i'm not sure if that will work... what did you use First target?

Another thing, is there a way to paint galvanized tin?


I would go simple--very simple. Get a 3' by 5' piece of particle board. Maybe cut out a hole and cover it up with a small piece of plexiglass screwed over it. I'd cut up an old belt to use for straps.


Ya that did cross my mind, but i was thinking making it better quality, cause I'm kinda bored right now. I'd only be making two anways. And as soon as it got wet it'd be doomed. Also plastic would be lighter. And for the fixed window, it would be useless as soon as it got shot up, but if you can flip it down and clean it quickly, or just leave it down and put your gun through the hole or something.
Stupidity killed the cat, Curiosity was blamed.
Vegetarian- (adj) An old Navajo word for "Bad Hunter"
Jesus may be able to walk on water, but chuck norris can swim through dry land
Some people are alive for the simple reason that it is illegal to shoot them
My feedback My Wishlist How To Prevent Gear Theft
0

#8 User is offline   Dib 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 111
  • Joined: 17-October 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Salem, Or
  • Brigade Name:Dib

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:42 PM

I used to work in retail and they throw alot of displays out. Some have very thick, very large pieces of plexi-type plastic. This may be an inexpensive sorce of materials. I got a display case in my shop from an outlet mall that has 1/2" thick plastic windows in it. They are plenty big enough for a doorway, let alone a shield. The cost was gas to haul it away. Keep your eyes and ears open ya might get lucky.
If he rips my arms off, I'll kick him to death.
If he rips my legs off, I'll bite him to death.
If he rips my head off, I'll stare him to death.
And if he gouges my eyes out, I'll curse him from beyond the grave.
0

#9 User is offline   EchoXero 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: 05-March 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Hood, TX
  • Brigade Name:EchoXero

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

When I used to do medieval combat in high school we used a 55 gallon drun cut into thirds to simulate a roman tower shield. For a handle, we cut out a portion in the front and attached the the end of a broom stick to the opening. We couved the outside end with foam padding and attached it with duct tape (the magic force that binds the universe together). I found that this handle attachment worked better than strapping it to your arm because it allows for more control. However, you could attach straps on the inside if you prefer. As for an opening for the window, it woudn't be too hard to cut open an aperature and attach some clear plastic. Important safety tip, make sure the plastic will stop a paintball. You don't want a paintball to hit the plastic and shatter shards of plastic in your face. Just a thought.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security, will deserve neither and lose both."
~Benjamin Franklin
0

#10 User is offline   FrozenCannuk 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 160
  • Joined: 04-November 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Swan River, Manitoba, Canada
  • Brigade Name:Sled_Neck270

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

View PostEchoXero, on Mar 8 2009, 12:25 AM, said:

When I used to do medieval combat in high school we used a 55 gallon drun cut into thirds to simulate a roman tower shield. For a handle, we cut out a portion in the front and attached the the end of a broom stick to the opening. We couved the outside end with foam padding and attached it with duct tape (the magic force that binds the universe together).
I found that this handle attachment worked better than strapping it to your arm because it allows for more control. However, you could attach straps on the inside if you prefer.

Ah but in paintball, protection can trump maneuverability, your handle won't let it hold it too close, while still being comfortable, and that could come in mighty handy. And if i'm understanding your idea correctly, it seems like it would be easier to run and whatnot with the horizontal forearm straps, under the window, just not as fast to move. But what handle style i use mostly depends on the material and thus weight, and who is using it. For example, if it's one of my 300 lb O-linemen buddies, then that type of handle would work nicely, even if i'm forced to use steel, but the forearm-strap style, would likely work better for the lighter guys, or even the girls if they feel brave enough to try it (or not brave at all, depending what way you look at it)


As for an opening for the window, it woudn't be too hard to cut open an aperature and attach some clear plastic. Important safety tip, make sure the plastic will stop a paintball. You don't want a paintball to hit the plastic and shatter shards of plastic in your face. Just a thought.

Haha thanks Cpt. Obvious! :laugh:
But seriously, I'll test the living poo out of this thing before i risk one of my friends getting a facefull of sharp things :D


But ya i'm going to look at the farm equip dealerships for something bigger than the 45 gallons we got round here. One of my friends said they used to get 60's from our local new holland dealership, so as soon as i get a spare moment thats what i'll be doing.

This post has been edited by FrozenCannuk: 08 March 2009 - 02:24 AM

Stupidity killed the cat, Curiosity was blamed.
Vegetarian- (adj) An old Navajo word for "Bad Hunter"
Jesus may be able to walk on water, but chuck norris can swim through dry land
Some people are alive for the simple reason that it is illegal to shoot them
My feedback My Wishlist How To Prevent Gear Theft
0

#11 User is offline   Diablo4020 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: 19-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Weston
  • Brigade Name:Diablo4020

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

55 is the biggest I have seen. Get a steel one, that way you could weld a handle on and also cut a spot for the window. If you really wanted to get creative, you could make the hole accept JT lenses. Just a thought! It would be fair because you need to stick your hand around the outside of the shield to fire. This would be a perfect time for the opposed to fire!
0

#12 User is offline   FirstTarget 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 18-February 09
  • Brigade Name:FirstTarget

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:52 AM

Handles: for hand a u shaped door handle for control. For forearm a simple rope loop. I got my drum from a place that uses food quality drums for the sauce mixes they use. Only $5.00 each. Then a saw to fit to size. The drum materials is designed to resist deforming or cracking. Shelf strength Plexiglas is not the same . Plexiglas can crack and splinter on impacts, i.e. falling on a rock, running into a wall. Steel is heavier and edges can be very sharp. Also if a person hit the edge they can be seriously injured. Yes any shield can cause injuries, but the risk can be reduced. I am 6'2", over200 lbs. 55 galleon is big enough. Just ask around for food grade drum.
0

#13 User is offline   Orpackrat 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,062
  • Joined: 17-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oregon Coast
  • Brigade Name:Orpackrat

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

I would make one.

Why buy when I can make.

Scenario Games, room clearing, etc.

PlexiGlass or Acrylic

Realistic Weight, otherwise, whats the point.
0

#14 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

  • The swagger of an EMPEROR!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,513
  • Joined: 31-January 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Athens, Georgia
  • Brigade Name:Ka1iBuR

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

I can see a shield in use when the player carrying it is armed only with grenades or a pistol, but anything else would just be unfair. If I was going to use a shield, I wouldn't buy one; I would find a trash can lid or build one out of wood or something.
0

#15 User is offline   Bl33din' Aces 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 58
  • Joined: 21-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bridgeport, PA
  • Brigade Name:Spartan Ops

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

I'm bound to use cushions as part of the shield material because it doesn't break on impact when shot at. Although I was one not to think about it because its just a waste of energy to drag it around the field though it be used when on an out post or on the other side of the yard line.A PexiGlass wouldn't hurt at all because you can actually see what the heck your doing, but beyond that its all bout what i could do for it and of course i'm gonna make my own cause i can't offord a real one. and it would be half the weight.

Our Victory is imminent. Welcome to the Spartan Ops Dream!
0

Share this topic:


  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users