Drone Vs Etek3 AM Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   warnabrother 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:06 AM

Hey guys..

First post, so G'day from Australia..

As some may know, in Australia we can only run semi-auto - Nothing else..

So, Drone Vs Etek3 ??

Ignoring the "tacticool" look of the Drone which would you choose and why ??

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

Good day mate. :laugh:

Both are great markers. I would lean towards the Etek just because parts and upgrades are easier to get here, but that doesn't help you since MacDev is Aussie.

#3 User is offline   Reaper301 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

i rock an etek3 and have shot my buddys drone. the only thing i liked better on the drone than my tek3 is the trigger, there is a little play side to side in the etek but i got use to it and ordered the trigger upgrade for 45 bones the other day so that should take up the slop with the barrings.
other than that two thumbs up for the tek3!! the drone is also a nice gun but PE is the shizel!!!!
Reaper
Chrono301 XO
Camp Lejeune
Jacksonville NC

#4 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

I have shot both. The Drone wins hands down.

Quiet, smooth and far easier to tear down and clean. They have a similar efficiency range and I belive the Drone to be a bit lighter, but I have never personally put an Etek on a scale so I would need to confirm that with a team mate.

Boomer14 here on the forums owns both. He also has writen the FAQ on the Drone in the MacDev section of PBN. Personally I think he is the one guy with the most personal experience using the Drone outside of MacDev themselves so he would be a huge bennifit to speak with. I would suggest sending him a PM and asking his personal opinion...not to mention he probably has scaled the Etek....

The big benifit would be your having MaDev right there in your (giant) backyard. The ability to get any trouble serviced right away really makes your choice easy!

You really need to shoot both though. The Drone sells itself.

*edit* After a bit of thought it should be brought up that the two have a compleatly different profile and feel while shooting. The Etek is a stacked tube and the Drone an inline single. Drone has a lower overall profile and a bit longer body to achieve the comfort for most users.
The Etek being a bit shorter gives a compact feel that some folks prefer.
Look at what you are more comfortable with. If you are moving from a Tippmann you will be comfortable witht he lower profile, but if you are moving from a Spyder you may simply find it more your style to shoot the Etek.

I moved from Tippmanns to Spyders long ago but owned both at the same time. I always found myself returning to stacked tubes after my first Tippmann. I shot an '07 Cyborg for nearly 3 years, then bought a Drone. Drone made me smile, but I sold it and kept the borg.
Recently I bought a Droid...since I liked the Drone but milsim just did not fit me at all...I wanted red! I will be selling the Cyborg since the feel of the single tube has captured my attention and I simply like it more now.

Comfort is where it is at in this game and if that means you like the feel of one over the other you will be far happier with your purchase in the long run as well as enjoying the game more since you are happy with your gun choice.

You are doing it right, research your purchase and you will be the winner in the end.

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 07 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

#5 User is offline   warnabrother 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

View PostKrazy8, on Jun 8 2010, 09:16 AM, said:

I have shot both. The Drone wins hands down.

Quiet, smooth and far easier to tear down and clean. They have a similar efficiency range and I belive the Drone to be a bit lighter, but I have never personally put an Etek on a scale so I would need to confirm that with a team mate.

Boomer14 here on the forums owns both. He also has writen the FAQ on the Drone in the MacDev section of PBN. Personally I think he is the one guy with the most personal experience using the Drone outside of MacDev themselves so he would be a huge bennifit to speak with. I would suggest sending him a PM and asking his personal opinion...not to mention he probably has scaled the Etek....

The big benifit would be your having MaDev right there in your (giant) backyard. The ability to get any trouble serviced right away really makes your choice easy!

You really need to shoot both though. The Drone sells itself.

*edit* After a bit of thought it should be brought up that the two have a compleatly different profile and feel while shooting. The Etek is a stacked tube and the Drone an inline single. Drone has a lower overall profile and a bit longer body to achieve the comfort for most users.
The Etek being a bit shorter gives a compact feel that some folks prefer.
Look at what you are more comfortable with. If you are moving from a Tippmann you will be comfortable witht he lower profile, but if you are moving from a Spyder you may simply find it more your style to shoot the Etek.

I moved from Tippmanns to Spyders long ago but owned both at the same time. I always found myself returning to stacked tubes after my first Tippmann. I shot an '07 Cyborg for nearly 3 years, then bought a Drone. Drone made me smile, but I sold it and kept the borg.
Recently I bought a Droid...since I liked the Drone but milsim just did not fit me at all...I wanted red! I will be selling the Cyborg since the feel of the single tube has captured my attention and I simply like it more now.

Comfort is where it is at in this game and if that means you like the feel of one over the other you will be far happier with your purchase in the long run as well as enjoying the game more since you are happy with your gun choice.

You are doing it right, research your purchase and you will be the winner in the end.

thanks for the great reply..

yes having MACDEV here is a real bonus.. any issues (which I doubt) can be sorted rapidly..

One of the fields I play at use the Drones as "upgrade rentals" and these things get put through hell.. some look a little used, but on the whole they are all still in good condition except for the grips starting to fall apart which is fair enough..

After thinking long and hard about what I want this marker for i.e. bushball (woodsball in the US) mainly with the very occassional rec speedball game with mates.. I think for this the Drone is the better choice.. simply due to looks and size as well.. I have big hands, and some of the smaller markers are just too small for me to comfortably shoulder..

This post has been edited by warnabrother: 07 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

#6 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

I would suggest talking with the field owner who rents the Drones. Find out how he feels about them. If anybody is going to have real time info on durability and common repair issues he will be a huge boon in your search for the right toy.

*edit* Oh and welcome to the forums!

MOATI shoots a Drone...

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 07 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

#7 User is offline   Gauss 

• God. Guns. Guts.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

'ello govna!

I would have to say an Etek 3 because I have a teammate who uses one as his primary and never complains about it or has any problems at the field or strippin it down.
OFFICIAL BROADSWORD RECOGNITION NUMBER: 112
OFFICIAL SABRE RECOGNITION NUMBER: 530
God. Guns. Guts.

#8 User is offline   warnabrother 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:47 AM

View PostGauss, on Jun 8 2010, 09:53 AM, said:

'ello govna!

LOL - thank would be the Poms (British) that say that.. not us :P

Share this topic: