• Old Man Willow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

Worth it or no?

If so, why or why not?

Making plans for my own Phantom.

SiL

edit: My opinion is they aren't worth it.

They equal extra maintenence if they suddenly stop working or some such.

This post has been edited by Silver^Nights: 18 July 2008 - 06:09 PM

#2 User is offline   Sp.Ed 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

Only worth it if your running 12sies and want to know when you are running low. Most people count shots and dump after a certain number of shots but for the lazy (Like me) the guaged valve is handy but not necessary. It is however only a few dollars more (compared to the total price of the phantom) and may increase the future resale.

Edit: I see you edited in a new comment, there is no more maintenance with a guaged valve than with a normal valve since they are effectively identical with the exception that one has an extra hole drilled in the back. The guage may blow and require being replaced but a quick 1/8 pipe plug or new guage will get you going in a matter of a minute or two.

If your that concerned with extra maint. then perhaps you should try a slingshot to propel your paintballs. :dodgy:

This post has been edited by Sped-SR: 18 July 2008 - 06:17 PM

The opinions and statements expressed on this site are mine alone and are not sanctioned or approved by my Employer. I also assume all legal liability for those statements.

#3 User is offline   Willow 

• Old Man Willow
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

Yeah I'll be running 12ies, thanks for your input...

#4 Guest_TippySnipa_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

I don't run 12ies, so it wouldn't benefit me. I am pretty sure doug has one, he finds it usefull.

#5 User is offline   Chefdave 

• Karate Monkey Deathcar
  • PipPip

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:28 PM

I like mine but I don't really utilize it when using 12 grams.

I do find it useful for telling me when my 3.5 tank is beginning to die or is seriously overpressured (due to the summer heat) though.

#6 User is offline   Willow 

• Old Man Willow
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:55 PM

Can I send a non guaged phantom to Mike and get a guage put on it if I decide I want one later?

#7 User is offline   dougdeb 

• ________
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:KWEIMATHA

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:29 AM

Yes both my wife and I have the guages on ours. I originally didn't. But after playing with my wife's a couple of times (we ordered hers that way), I ordered the replacement rear air valve with the guage on it. Both of us have found them incredibly useful when running 12gs. Yes, most people can count their shots and track when they need to change 12g's. Unfortunately, I can't count to 11 without taking my shoes off (I forget what number I'm on :ghillie:). So I went with the guage. It has saved me more than once from making a run with a nearly empty 12g's. And I've only played two days with it. :happy: As for having your current piece drilled, I don't know. I would recommend that you can Mike. He'll either to that, or do a swap at a minimum cost. My $0.02
Aloha, Doug
If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions,
you have failed as a paintballer.

#8 User is offline   left handed 

• Arms Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:left handed

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:33 AM

Well my current project with my Mav will end up having a gauge on it somewhere (not to spoil the some-what-known-secret :ghillie: ) and I find if I don't know exactly how much I have left in my 12ie, I end up changing them out prematurely or too late and I waste money and can't eliminate some people I could've.

But srsly, if you're gonna run 12ies, get it.
Speedball has nothing to do with how fast you shoot and everything to do with how fast you move. - Crawdaddy (PBF)

Feedback!

#9 User is offline   Sp.Ed 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:34 AM

View PostSilver^Nights, on Jul 19 2008, 01:55 AM, said:

Can I send a non guaged phantom to Mike and get a guage put on it if I decide I want one later?

I'm sure he would but it would not be cost effective, by the time you pay him to do it and the cost of shipping both ways you have just purchased a guaged valve body (they run about $30 -$35 by them selves). Again I say get one its only a few more dollars to upgrade with a Phantom build and if it turns out you don't like it or want it, plug the hole like that extra hole on your ASA.
The opinions and statements expressed on this site are mine alone and are not sanctioned or approved by my Employer. I also assume all legal liability for those statements.

#10 User is offline   Chefdave 

• Karate Monkey Deathcar
  • PipPip

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:29 AM

I'd recommend sending your valve to one of the airsmiths to get "bobbed". You'll get a few extra shots with 12 grams and you automatically get it drilled for a gauge. :P

#11 User is offline   Jobless Elite 

• is made of Win
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:10 PM

Is the phantom actually overall shorter with the gauge?

Pump Discussion Thread
Looking for a jungle sunset micromag

#12 User is offline   stolz 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STOLZ

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:49 PM

i like it for 12ies, when my psi drops below 650-600 i change out my 12gram, simply because i forget how many times i shoot

#13 User is offline   The Scout 

• Penny for the gurney
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Scout

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

I got the Gauge, it was pretty cool til it broke after a few times using it. It didn't exactly broker per se, but the card inside with the psi readings on it flipped upside down and I really have no clue how to fix it.
Official Pump Owner #98
"Maybe God keeps us on earth, just like we have beef farms for cows. Then, when we die he eats us... I just freaked myself out. Be right back, I gotta go pray"-Kook

#14 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

View PostThe Scout, on Jul 19 2008, 04:14 PM, said:

I got the Gauge, it was pretty cool til it broke after a few times using it. It didn't exactly broker per se, but the card inside with the psi readings on it flipped upside down and I really have no clue how to fix it.

LOL, that's really wierd, I have a guage on my Phantom, and yes they are worth it, it could actually save you money, considering you can use every good shot through your twelve gram without wasting.

#15 User is offline   Willow 

• Old Man Willow
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm still debating to myself wether I will get one or not.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users