Special Ops Paintball: how should sabres play be? offense...defense? both? let me know - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how should sabres play be? offense...defense? both? let me know Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   tippmann addict 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:tippmann addict

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

so i know many sabres and many paintball players and was wondering your opinion on your style of play....if you are a sabre. letme know your opinion.....thanks
Si vis pacem, para bellum."

if u want peace prepare for war

official sabre, go for the gold! TIPPMANN GO ALL THE WAY!

#2 User is offline   BAGELS 

• good stuff^
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I3agels

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:04 PM

I used to be into that positions thing, but as I played more and more, I just forgot about them. Don't limit yourself to one position. Just play the way you like to play, whether you like to make stealthy flanks, or make bold aggressive moves.

Here is my style of play. I am always on the flanks, ahead of the rest of my team. I am very patient. I will move up, scope out the enemy, then fall back and ambush them. Then I do it again, or flank them if I have the option. That is not a Spec Ops position, its my style of play.

Just play the game that you have the most fun playing. Develop your own style of play. Don't pick a position and force yourself to stay within it.

THE INVISI-SIG!
I have no sig, because I am cool like that.
I love my phantom, because it is cool like that....schweet

#3 User is offline   spartan_666 

• SPARTAN LEADER 666
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:666spartan666

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

i agree with bagels why tie your self in to one postion? i think it limits your growth as a player just play how u want but keep in mind the main goal of the team
"GIVE THEM NOTHING BUT TAKE FROM THEM EVERY THING"

#4 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Orpackrat

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:31 AM

My team and I are starting to find what positions we will be playing at games for more organization and such but the positions will not limit what we play.

I'm going more Medium Riflemen and will be playing in the middle of the battle backing up our light riflemen but I'll go where I'm needed whether its the front lines, the back, tank killing, room clearing, etc.

In the next month, I'll be fine tuning my load out but generally it will look like:

98C Super RT and other various mods depending on field and such
Compact Rocket/Grenade launcher
Compact paintball shotgun (actual multiple shot)
Grenades
10+ pods
Lots of Co2
etc.

I may be playing like a medium riflemen now but will not limit how I play. Why should the position be very specific to what the player can an cannot do, offense, defense, both?

#5 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

View PostOrpackrat, on Jan 19 2009, 01:31 AM, said:

Why should the position be very specific to what the player can an cannot do, offense, defense, both?

Simple answer: it isn't. As I posted in another thread, there is a difference between a POSITION and a MISSION. A mission is a goal with objectives and purpose. A POSITION is a part of a team set out to accomplish that goal.

So, ANY position can be offensive or defensive. Daggers to clear the outlying structures and vegetation of your base; Hammers to lay suppressive fire until somebody else can clear the invading force; snipers employed to slow troop movements down, etc.

And like said before, just play. When entering stuff into my play log, I don't choose my style before hand. I play, then come back home and ask myself what "position" fit the style of play I did the best.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#6 User is offline   endurimil 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:endurimil

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

Like all the rest. Spend less time worrying about position then about developing skills.

Myself I like to be flexible but that is a reflection of my infantry background. An infantryman is trained to do different things- defense, offense, retreat, suppresing fire, and so on. All based on the situation at the time.
4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

#7 User is offline   poohbear13 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:POOHBEAR13

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

I would agree with everybody else, just play. As you do you will see where you like to be and how you like to play. Once you see what your habits are work on the rest of your game. One game play up in the from and be aggressive the next play in the back and be more patient.

Work on things you don't do very well. Do'nt let a name like saber dictate how you will play. let the need on the field do it.

#8 User is offline   Capt.Melvin4203 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:BigT4203

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:03 AM

I just play the game and do whatever the team needs me to do. That's the great thing about being a sabre, they do everything so it really comes down to what your team needs you to do the most. My suggestion is just play and develop you skills and then see which position you played the most at the end of the day. And after a while, you will see how you develop as a player and which style you prefer to play more, where it is stalking in the woods, carrying around a big gun, or diving into occupied buildings and clearing them out. You should never go in with a set of mind on playing one specific position because it will limit you to a definition. As I said before, go out and play then after you are done, reflect on your day and decided which position you played the most.

#9 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

When I play I go with the flow, and not like the Atheist kind of way if that makes sense. Be where you need to be when you need to be there.
-Ty

#10 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:08 AM

Start offensive. Gain ground, shoot people out, and make your way up the field.
If you start losing ground, or just get to a point you can't advance more, lock it down and play Defense.
Clear out the other team with good gunfighting. Then, when you have the numbers again, go back on Offense.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#11 User is offline   1stTarget 

• 1stTarget
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:1stTarget

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

Best defense is a strong offense. I normally play saber for the most part. Even on a defense placement I try to take the fight to the enemy. You are either controlling the situation or being controlled.
Sabre #798

#12 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:05 PM

Sabres, like all other "positions," can be both offensive and defensive. It really depends on what your mission is. If you have to go to a certain area of the field chances are you will be offensive. If you have to guard your base or any ground your side controls you will be defensive. Sometimes you can be offensive and defensive at the same time.

When I started playing paintball Spec Ops did not exist. Everone who played in the woods just played. If they did use positions they used the same ones that the speedballers used. That is basically what the Spec Ops positions are anyways.

#13 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

Since "Sabres" are on the lighter end, gear-wise, of SpecOps' marketing positions spectrum, I'd think the Sabres play a piviotal role in your team's offense.

While the Broadsword suppresses and the Dagger rushes and flanks, the Sabre does a bit of both. The Sabre should work with the latter two and fire-and-manouver your way up the field. You shouldn't be doing much suppressing, your Broadswords should be doing that. Sabres should be right behind the Daggers--providing close-in suppressive fire.

Now all that said, to be an effective player, no matter what position you're in, you gotta learn to adapt, as many members have already said. If you see an opening, go for it and rush. If someone's got you pinned down, return accurate suppressing fire, don't wait for the "Broadsword" to shoot back.
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#14 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

View PostJackRock, on Jan 19 2009, 08:57 AM, said:

View PostOrpackrat, on Jan 19 2009, 01:31 AM, said:

Why should the position be very specific to what the player can an cannot do, offense, defense, both?

Simple answer: it isn't. As I posted in another thread, there is a difference between a POSITION and a MISSION. A mission is a goal with objectives and purpose. A POSITION is a part of a team set out to accomplish that goal.

So, ANY position can be offensive or defensive. Daggers to clear the outlying structures and vegetation of your base; Hammers to lay suppressive fire until somebody else can clear the invading force; snipers employed to slow troop movements down, etc.

And like said before, just play. When entering stuff into my play log, I don't choose my style before hand. I play, then come back home and ask myself what "position" fit the style of play I did the best.

I agree with this. Great post.

Everyone wants to rag on the Spec Ops positions, as if they are worthless and meaningless. The positions are perfectly valid descriptions of the types of roles performed during missions. Now to lock oneself into one position "I can't do that, I'm a dagger, not a sabre" is a gross misunderstanding of the purpose of the positions. Or at least, of the practical application of the theory.

I am not advocating some kind of overnerded perspective with people tattooing their positions into their foreheads, etc. But I believe that the position descriptions are valuable as definitions.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#15 User is offline   Wimpy 

• I make stuff up... don't listen.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wimpy

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

Just play paintball. If you got 3 guys playing defensively... bump up... if your back players get eliminated... play more defensively. Just play.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users