Special Ops Paintball: Tiberius 8 vs. Tippmann's new TPX - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tiberius 8 vs. Tippmann's new TPX sidearm dilema Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Uncle R 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:51 PM

So i'm looking for a sidearm, mainly as a backup, but also to possibly run with on it's own for shorter games. Our games out in Montana are all renegade and are fast paced, so i'd like something that is magazine fed, like the Tiberius and the TPX. However, i'm wondering about changing out the CO2 cartridge on the TPX, and i've heard nothing but good things on the Tiberius's accuracy (my local paintball dealer called it the most accurate stock gun he sells). On the flip side, the TPX is cheaper ($220 vs. $250 for the Tiberius) and comes with 2 mags (extra mags for the Tiberius run over $40). anybody who has any info on either gun (especially once the TPX launches) or an alternative plz let me know, i'm saving money for a couple months while pondering the question.
Always Forward (Phil 3:12-14)

Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle
-Psalm 144:1

#2 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

Assuming equal accuracy and reliability (which both have yet to be seen, so actual conclusions may differ when Tippmann decides to release the pistol)...

The TPX makes a better sidearm for two main reasons: 1. Better weight distribution and 2. It doesn't pierce the 12 gram until the first shot. The Tac 8 is grip heavy, and when you have it in a holster all the time, the better the balance, the more comfortable it will be. Advantage TPX. Also you won't waste a 12 gram if you don't use it since it doesn't pierce right away.

However, as a primary, the Tac 8 is better if you can afford enough mags to keep up with your typical paint usage. For me, I shoot a max of 100 rounds per game when using my Tac as a primary. I carry 4 mags, at 24 shots per mag gives me 96 shots without changing a single 12 gram on the field. For higher paint usage, if you can afford the Tac mags, great. If not, then the TPX is better.

But this is assuming they are 100% equal in accuracy and reliability. And obviously neither of these is tested since the TPX isn't out yet. I'd wait a few months, read some reviews on the TPX and see if some people are selling their Tacs for cheap to pick up the "latest and greatest" thing. No matter what, you win if you wait. If the TPX turns out to be even better than the Tac, then you get the TPX, the better pistol. If they turn out to be the same, then you get either one, possibly the Tac for even cheaper than the TPX. If the TPX turns out to be crap, then you save yourself some hassle and get the Tac.

#3 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

do remember that the T-8 has both the C02 and the paintballs in one clip, this has is pro's and cons. most for-mentioned is the fact then you run out of paint, switch clips and your good. run out of air, switch clips and your good. BUT when your done shooting paint, there is still air in the 12 gram.

While the TPX has the paintballs and the 12'ies seperated, meaning reload mags, untill you have to switch 12 grams.

personally I say wait untill the TPX generation 1 is done, usually brand new markers tand to have thier bumps and kinks coming out of the factory. once they become widespread common problems arise and then the company fixes them by releasing a second generation of the marker. 80% its the same price, BUT sometimes the price increases as solving the problems requires quality control which costs more.

best example is the Invert Mini
generation 1 was 350$ CDN it had problems with the boards constantly breaking down and short circuting if your light burned out.
Generation 2 was 360$ CDN it had a much more durable bulb to prevent short circuting and the board was further secured, also they released three new colours. which is awsome. it came out about 1-2 months after the first generation.

now Generation three costs 450$ becuase Invert's a big money shmuck. :dry:

#4 User is offline   motherboard1 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

I'll add my bit here as an owner/user/and now I guess advocate, of the Tiberius 8. None of my C02 goes to waste once its punctured. Its been over a week since I used my T8, and the 12grams are still in the mags waiting for the next game with various amounts of C02 in them. Each kept track of by the counter at the bottom (easily modified to be tighter by the way).

I run 4 mags total with the T8, and admittedly Iv never used another pistol, but I think the killer for me would be the need to change 12 grams in a close quarters fight.

Let me ask ya this. If you've just played one round and used up 2 mags with your TPX, and you're now about to start another round with enough C02 in the 12gram for one more mag, do you change it out for a fresh 12 gram to start the next round? If your answer is yes, then I think the "wasted C02" point is easily turned around on the TPX.

As for the issue of weight, its a non issue for me. If I thought a couple extra pounds in mags was slowing me down, I'd go on a diet :unsure: Unless you're planning on owning/running an unusual number of mags, I dont see any considerable advantage/disadvantage here.

If your pistol use will be limited to special situations and 3 mags total is enough for you, then I guess you should go TPX for the price.

Or if your going to use a lot of mags, then the TPX might win out because of price and weight, but having to plan my moves around changing the 12gram just kills it for me. But I guess everyone has their own way.

#5 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:35 PM

I grossly dislike the Tiberius 8's design, for a number of reasons:

(1) 12-gram in the mag makes the grip overly bulky.

(2) 12-gram in the mag also makes the mags overly complex and therefore more expensive.

(3) Pistol is capable of shooting 3 times as many shots as the mag holds.

(4) Mag is slow and difficult to reload in the field.

(5) You must have an allen wrench to change the CO2 cartridge, putting you in the position of either violating game rules by having tools on the field or having to buy more mags.

(6) Grip shape and angle is not proper for instinctive aiming.

So you ultimately have 2 choices: either buy enough mags to keep you supplied in the field and then have multiple 12-grams punctured and in use at once (and therefore have to burn through each mag 3 times to get its worth) or risk reloading in the field. Either one makes this pistol extremely expensive both to own and feed, and a logistical nightmare. It's a horribly bad design.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#6 User is offline   Uncle R 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

Wow, Warden, i think u're the first person to have dislike the T8, lol. but alot of ur points are valid, and it's the stuff that the tpx has different. Now that it's out, and i've seen some reveiws online and stuff (haven't gotten to see one in real life yet, my local paintball supplier is struggling and only bringing in new markers to fill orders), i'm thinking i'm going to go with the TPX. if i was running it as a primary all the time, i think i'd go with the T8, but since it's a backup i intend to use in dire situations, i'll probably never use more then 2 or 3 mags, so for price reasons alone, the TPX just wins (thanks Motherboard1 and everyone else for ur comments, they helped alot). As to which marker is better, the TPX or the T8... i think it's going to come down to personal preference between the guns.
Always Forward (Phil 3:12-14)

Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle
-Psalm 144:1

#7 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

The other huge thing I dislike about the Tac8 is its trigger. That long straight lever trigger. I had a Tac8, but I sold it. I just got sick of dealing with its logistical problems, the fact that it didn't point naturally, and the thought of wasting even more money on mags and 12-grams for a freaking PISTOL. Sorry, I'll take a Zeus G1 over a Tac8, and that's saying something.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#8 User is offline   foster 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:27 AM

I share Wardens take on the Tib, I also sold mine for the same reasons.

I had the chance to put 4 clips through a buddys TPX on Friday, Totally impressed!
-Points natural
-Light
-Zero breaks
-Easy to load clip
-Light Light
-Clip size and weight = 2 10-round tubes
-Instinctive shot (spin 180* and fire) was spot on
-Light Light Light!
-Ball counter windows work wonders
-You can put your finger on the trigger without fear of it tripping

Downside:
The Co2 Plug, but with all the up sides I could call it a wash. Yes you will have a really tough time swapping 12's early, but maybe learning to use it up before reloading is a blessing. The TPX does go DEEP into the 12 gram, only a blooper or two before the plug is easily removed.

My hand decided that the time was nigh
And for a moment it slipped from view
When it returned, it fairly burned with
Confidence anew… -N.C.

#9 User is offline   motherboard1 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:00 AM

(1) 12-gram in the mag makes the grip overly bulky.

In the grip is where I would want the weight to be. The balance is perfect.

(2) 12-gram in the mag also makes the mags overly complex and
therefore more expensive.

Price of progress for those who want it that way (I for one). I would not say
the mags are overly complex, but they do need to be metal to house the C02.

(3) Pistol is capable of shooting 3 times as many shots as the mag
holds.

The 12 gram is capable of shooting 3 times as many shots as the mag holds.
Same for TPX. Thats just a simple observation on 12 grams you've made there,
standard across the board. That cant be used as a drawback to the Tiberius 8.
With the TPX however you are required to change the C02 after three mags, and
as a separate operation.

(4) Mag is slow and difficult to reload in the field.

I agree on this one (C02). But for those who have not used either pistol I'll
point out that the "paint loading" is the same on both pistols.

(5) You must have an allen wrench to change the CO2 cartridge,
putting you in the position of either violating game rules by having tools on
the field or having to buy more mags.

4 and 5 are essentially the same problem, the need of an allen wrench to
change the 12gram. So of course I agree. But its alright for me. I only change
C02 in between games.

The Thing about the grip angle is nonsense IMO and I ain't feeling the trigger
thing either.

I think what it all comes down to, is where you stand on reloading 12grams
during games. With the TPX you have to reload 12grams often, with the Tiberius
8 you dont, but its more difficult if you have to.

The Tiberius better fills the role of a pistol in CQC. The need to change
12grams is a serious liability in a tactical situation.

What every first time TPX user is quickly going to realize, is that
if its used as a primary, you don't always get to shoot off "3" mags before
needing a C02 change, what if you've already shot 1 or 2 mags before getting
into the thick of it?

If the Tiberius 8 is such a horrible bad design as you put it warden wolf, why
is it that so many love it? Iv long considered it a marvel, logistically sound
and practical. Iv used mine regularly for a year now and I still look forward
to using it every Sunday. I'll be using it today.

Bottom line, "both" pistols are great for different roles. Tactically, the
Tiberius wins hands down.

If your doing a scenario and you need to do more shooting than is practical
with a T8, than the TPX is your marker. TPX is also cheaper and equal in a
pure sidearm role.

#10 User is offline   JustinS 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MEMYSELFANDI

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

The way this argument sounds is that if you want a pistol for a primary you need the Tiberius so you don't need to field change C02 (if you plan properly). If you want a backup the TPX sounds like a better marker because of the cost (especially for the mags) and the C02 placement.

EDIT: Which is why I'm getting the TPX.

This post has been edited by JustinS: 19 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

#11 User is offline   EthanB08 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ETHANB

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

My brother has a Tippmann TPX and one of my friends and regulars at my personal course has a Tac 8. I've shot both and must say the Tiberius wins for efficency by far. The Tiberius gets 3 full clips and then a few balls on a 4th clip basically every single time, while the Tippmann gets 2 clips and about 5 balls, the last 3 hitting the ground 10-15 feet after leaving the barrel on the third clip, or on a hot day 3 clips with the last 2 balls dropping a little bit.

The Tippmann has a slightly smaller grip, its not as fat (outwards from the trigger) as a Tiberius, but I find the Tiberius fine because I have larger hands.

As for accuracy the Tiberius wins, it shoots a little bit straighter, but do not get me wrong the Tippmann is also very accurate. at 70-80 feet you can easily hit human targets with both pistols with little to no drop compensation. The sights on both are good for probably 50-60 feet maximum without drop compensation (depending on velocity).

The magazines for the T8 are significantly more heavey than the TPX mags, this creates a back heavey T8 which will shake around more in the holster while running than a TPX which is front heavey as the co2 is at the front under the barrel. My friends T8 had a problem where it had a rapid firing problem, then when he released his mag (that had only shot 8 rounds of paint) a screw came out, he lost it but had a T8 players kit and put a new one in and locktited it. however he had 2 mags with almost completely full 12 grams, he unscrewed them as he was not going to shoot through his broken T8, therefore wasting CO2 that a TPX could have used. The bonus for the TPX being that it wont puncture till you pull the trigger.

The T8 has had 1 barrel break, it was not a chop (1 break to my knowledge in the 2 weeks my friend has had it), he was using Visible Impact paint from walmart, to clean the barrel he took it out with a quarter turn and cleaned it in a flash. My brother with his TPX has not yet had a break or chop and has been using RPS Stinger, but he has only had it for 1 week, and has not used it in game situations, the barrel is thread on and is a little stubborn and takes 10-15 turns and is very time consuming for in battle cleaning.

For the price the Tippmann wins hands down, the mags are cheaper and CO2 changes on feild are easyer than a Tiberius (quick change kit may make it easyer for T8) suppposeing you need to change the CO2 on field, and it shoots basically just as good as a T8. If you are very concerned with efficency and accuracy go with the T8. For cheapness and ease of use get the TPX. Anyways I'll probably post more after we have a game tomorrow were both the TPX and T8 will be used. I do agree with the statement that the T8 is more of a primary pistol and the TPX is more of a backup pistol. My friend uses his T8 as a primary and my brother, although has not played a game, is planning on using his TPX as a backup.
Spetsnaz, When the only way to kill a terrorist is by a backflipping hatchet attack.

#12 User is offline   Spaceman Spiff 

• Spaceman Spiff is my hero. Thanks for the avitar Puzuma.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Minister of Destruction

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

I have used the tac 8, with one extra clip, as a primary in some smaller games. I had no serious problems. As a matter of fact all of the problems that I had were getting used to having such a limited amount of paint, not with the use of the marker. I would like to have an oportunity to use the TPX but do not see that happening in the near future.

I for one would not, personally, like to use one as a main marker in a large game or a scenario, but as a back up I wouldn't object to either. The nice thing about using them as a main marker in a smaller game is that it definitely forces you to plan out your moves 4 or 5 ahead of time with several fall back options (because you do not have enough "fire power" for an all out battle). You also develop your stalking and creaping techniques.

Now that I have gone back to mostly using a marker with a 200 round hopper I still use those skills I developed while using the pistol only and it has made a huge difference.

#13 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:41 PM

Here's my thoughts, coming from someone who owns a T8 and has held a TPX (but sadly, I did not get to fire one).

I like the T8 twist-lock barrel. It makes cleaning in-game a lot easier.

The big grip doesn't phase my bear-paw hands.

The expensive magazines aren't fun, but I have 3 of them with 12-gram quick changers (rendering the "need tool" complaint moot for my T8), and I've gotten by so far reloading those mags in the field.

My biggest complaints with the T8 are:

-teardown. Not a simple process to say the least. I suppose you get used to it, but it's still a pain in my eyes

-requires 12 grams/cannot take CA (well, it can, but not practically. Fire 8 rounds, reload same mag, repeat)

The grip angle is something learned, like a Glock. It's not pretty, but I can still use it.

Now, on to the TPX...

I don't like the threaded barrel, but I could live with it. Teardown looks simpler than the T8 (clamshell, pretty simple even if it's not desirable), but I haven't actually tested that just yet.

I really, really, really like the fact the TPX can be run off a remote line. 12 grams are expensive, and I already own air tanks. So, if I can find a way to incorporate what I have, that saves money. I'm seriously thinking about buying a TPX just so I can run remote and stop buying 12 grams. Throw my 13ci tank on the other end and place that in the hydration pouch and I've got air for ~130 shots, at which point I'd likely be out of paint anyway. If i really want to travel heavy, I can take my other vest out and run my air tank for semi and get way more shots than I'll ever need.

The magazines are nice because they're simple. I also like the spring locks in the down position, making reloading in the field faster.

The main thing holding me back from a TPX is the Tippmann quality of late. They haven't done too well, and I'm waiting to see how they do with the TPX before I consider it a possibility. My T8 works fine, I just hate the money wasted on 12 grams when I can get free air fills for my HPA anytime I'm at the field.
Member of Team Akkadian

#14 User is offline   p8blr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:pbrules15

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

Owning a T8 myself, I can give my opinion backed with some experience. Having had the T8 for a while now, about two years, I rarely use it anymore. I like the idea of a pistol, but it has more cons than pros, (just check wardens post).
I have not shot the TPX, but I have held one, and I was very surprised at the material used to build it. I like that the co2 is not in the grip, but I hate that it is a fully composite gun. Especially the mags, they weigh next to nothing, and are not made out of composite, just cheap plastic. All in all, I was very disappointed after holding the TPX.
Only time will tell to see if the TPX is a robust gun or not.
I would recommend looking into the Kingman training pistols. The full aluminum one (Eraser), to be more specific. I have held one, and I was very impressed. Even the Chaser, the half composite one felt very solid. I plan on getting one my self here pretty soon. No other pistol can beat 80+ shots of one co2. Only downfall is that you have to buy different paint, but if you are like me, my paintball store is within about fifteen minutes so I can pick up paint fairly easially.

#15 User is offline   Steel Tiger 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Steel Tiger

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

View Postrtozier, on Jun 19 2009, 05:27 PM, said:

Owning a T8 myself, I can give my opinion backed with some experience. Having had the T8 for a while now, about two years, I rarely use it anymore. I like the idea of a pistol, but it has more cons than pros, (just check wardens post).
I have not shot the TPX, but I have held one, and I was very surprised at the material used to build it. I like that the co2 is not in the grip, but I hate that it is a fully composite gun. Especially the mags, they weigh next to nothing, and are not made out of composite, just cheap plastic. All in all, I was very disappointed after holding the TPX.
Only time will tell to see if the TPX is a robust gun or not.
I would recommend looking into the Kingman training pistols. The full aluminum one (Eraser), to be more specific. I have held one, and I was very impressed. Even the Chaser, the half composite one felt very solid. I plan on getting one my self here pretty soon. No other pistol can beat 80+ shots of one co2. Only downfall is that you have to buy different paint, but if you are like me, my paintball store is within about fifteen minutes so I can pick up paint fairly easially.

but will the paint you buy be .43 caliber? (Which is illegal at most fields)

This post has been edited by Steel Tiger: 19 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users