Special Ops Paintball: How-to: Make your own grenades - Special Ops Paintball

• (39 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How-to: Make your own grenades Uses washer and cotter pin for "trigger" -- PICS!

#1 User is offline   Get To The CHOPPA!! 

• DIY Grenade Expert
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:GetToTheCHOPPA!!

Post icon  Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:48 PM

**OK folks, I have noticed a few people offering to sell these grenades, and while I know we live in a capitalist society and production is based on supply and demand, I have a request: If you like our grenades, great! But PLEASE do not try to profit off of our design and hard work. It is, to say the least, kind of discouraging to see people selling the grenades we spent hours (and $$) designing and testing. Make them for yourself, and give them out (or at the very most, just break even on the costs). I'm sorry if this sounds like whining, but put yourself in my shoes and try to see this from my perspective. I'm glad lots of people like the design, but lets keep this a do-it-yourself thing. I would REALLY appreciate it.**

**Edit: Video of grenade going off now available!**
**Edit: Syringe info - Where to buy alternatives added.**
**Edit: Cut tubing length suggestion adjusted.**

A friend and I were bored and decided to make some DIY grenades. I had seen the thread describing the use of ball bearings as a trigger, and was planning on going that route. However, once at the hardware store, we decided to try out making a "belt buckle" style trigger using plastic washers and cotter pins with zip ties for rings. We tested them with water and found them to be drop safe with the pin in. With the pin removed and the washer placed correctly, the grenade is not sensitive enough to go off during a toss but is sensitive enough to go off from an arms-height drop.

On to the how-to...

You need the following, available between most hardware stores and online:
Posted Image

-1/4" inside diameter, 3/8" outside diameter latex tubing
-7/16" plastic washers (metal washers will also work). You can also use 1/2". 7/16" is pretty tight, while 1/2" is more sensitive and likely to go off. 7/16" is preferred.
-Cotter pins...these only need to be a little longer than the diameter of the washer
-Zip ties...used to seal the bottom of the grenade and to make a "ring" for the pull pin
-60cc 1/4" tip irrigation syringe...for filling the grenades. You may need to get this from a healthcare website
****11/10/06 edit: It has been brought to my attention that Wal-Mart sells a device similar to these syringes. It's called the "MIXMIZER" and it's used for mixing oil with gasoline so I guess you'd either look for it in Lawncare or Automotive. Thanks to TM SNPR for the info.
-Small wood clamps...I recommend the kind that you squeeze with one hand and clamps into place as shown in the following pics.
-Children's washable paint, diluted to desired thickness. If you can, get washable tempera paint from a craft store.
****5/22/07 edit: The best "fill" I have come up with is one part washable tempera paint diluted with one-half to one part tap water. It's very thick.
-OPTIONAL: food flavorings/extracts...Added to mark the enemy with a specific scent. We used mint so the enemy will smell fresh if hit. Orange works great and smells good too. Vanilla is too weak to cover the smell of the paint. I've yet to experiment with others...

The first step is to cut a length of tubing. You can use any length you want, we liked a total length of about (edit:) 4-5 inches best for shape. After your tube is cut, fold the last 1/2" over itself and zip tie it together as hard as you can.

Posted Image

Next ready a syringe by drawing about 2 oz. of paint up. secure the tube as far up the nozzle as it will go. Make sure you are pinching the hose around the nozzle so it won't leak. Make sure the push part of the syringe is braced against your chest or stomach, because once paint is in the latex tube, it will be pressurized and want to shoot the plunger right out of the syringe :panzer: Push the paint into the grenade tube and hold it with your off hand, making sure to keep pressure on the plunger and keep pinching the end of the tube against the nozzle so nothing leaks.

With your other hand, clamp the grenade tube at the syringe nozzle.

Posted Image

Ready another syringe of paint and plug it snug into the tube. MAKE SURE AT THIS POINT YOU BRACE THE PLUNGER AGAINST SOMETHING SOLID. You wouldn't want pink, minty paint all over yourself, now would you? Release the clamp and push the extra paint into the grenade. Repeat the clamping procedure and fill the grenade to the desired size (we did 6 ouncers).

Once you get the grenade to the right size, clamp it one last time and grab a washer. Fold the end of the grenade over itself the same way as if you were going to zip tie it. Wedge the washer over the folded end of the tube.

Posted Image

Push a cotter pin through the fold of the tube (do not actually puncture it) and over the washer. Make sure the tube is stretched over the cotter pin, which should be pushing against the washer. Now you can release the clamp and the grenade should not leak or go off. Pull the tube through the washer and pin like a belt buckle to tighten it up and get a little extra tube past the pin so it doesn't slide out.

Posted Image

You now have a paint grenade! You will need to play with how tight you make the washer to get it to your liking in terms of how much force is needed to set it off. With 7/16" washers, I pretty much pull them right up to the pin. This makes the grenade rather sensitive, so much that you must be somewhat gentle when removing the pin. When they hit something, the washer is blown off and the grenade starts a-spinnin'! We tested ours (with water) from halfway up the stairs, chucking them into the bathroom. Every surface was hit with the grenade, even the ceiling. They spin pretty violently, so watch out! Here's the box we cranked out tonight:

Posted Image

Comments? Questions? Have fun makin' em!!!

Check out the grenade messing up my bathroom:
Posted Image

If you would like to make a simple sabot, click HERE for my guide.

This post has been edited by Get To The CHOPPA!!: 03 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

#2 User is offline   Bosco 

• That's just how I roll
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Bosco

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:42 AM

Looks nice. Great idea

#3 User is offline   pool_boy47 

• A5's lead the way
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:the_muffin_man

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:40 AM

I think this should be a sticker

#4 User is offline   KONA 

• Brigade Recruiter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:KONA

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:47 AM

Good Idea for reusing big boy grenades and atomicbomb grenades,now I know to save all my grenades. :idea:

#5 User is offline   HammerSword 

• DiLLiGaF
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HammerSword

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:23 AM

I can see my kitchen now. ;)

#6 User is offline   pbjoe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:30 AM

sweet post indeed. Thanks for the photos too.
DUCK?

IPB Image

#7 User is offline   TIPoff 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:TIPoff

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:53 AM

I'm impressed!!! What's the cost that goes into these? They look great!
Kim "The Heretick"

#8 User is offline   Crab Heart 

• Senior RifleMan
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Crab Heart

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:24 AM

im adding this to favorites
w00t
IPB Image

#9 User is offline   FiLtHmAn 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:FiLtHmAn

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:57 AM

those look awesome.. how much did it coast you to make that batch (estimate)

looks like something i would do any day to save some money!

#10 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:05 AM

Brillant!
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Uriah 

• Whats a skunk bird? Dat's a Skunk Bird
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Uriah

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:05 AM

Dude, that was an exelent walk through.

Though, where do you buy the tubing? We use the long animal balloons as a semi-direct hit grenade, but these will definatly fill the gap!

One concern, while I was first making my first batch of grenades one blew all over the bathroom and on Mom's stuff. I was using temper paint, but it didn't really come out. Do you know of somthing that will not ruin someones camo?
Hello, I am Uriah, RCO of the SBA and Commander of The Skunk Bird Army.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot loose."
--Jim Elliot, leader of the men who gave their lives at the hands of those who they tried to save -- it worked.

#12 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:12 AM

Last few times i picked up some latex tubing it was $10 for 15' at Lowes/Home Depot.

#13 User is offline   Get To The CHOPPA!! 

• DIY Grenade Expert
  • PipPip

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:16 AM

Hey guys glad everyone liked the walkthrough! I'll try to answer the questions as they arise.

First, cost. I'm figuring you will be able to get roughly 2 dozen grenades from this recipe. The totals are as follows:
-10' section of latex tubing: $15 at Home Depot
-pack of 100 black zip ties: $2 at Value Home Center (or other hardware store)
-plastic washer for trigger: $0.19 each at hardware store ($4.56/ 2 doz.)
-steel cotter pin: $0.17 each at hardware store ($4.08/ 2 doz)
-Syringe for filling: roughly $4 on the internet, I "borrowed" mine from work (I work in healthcare)
-Wood clamp: I found mine in the basement. Prices will vary.
-Paint: prices will vary but expect to pay up to $5 for a large (24 oz) bottle. You can make this last more or less depending on how much you water it down. We tried about a 6:1 dilution of water to paint.
-Smelly extracts: imitation vanilla is by far the cheapest, but many genuine varieties can be had for about $3. 1 oz should be enough for about 2 doz. grenades.
so that puts the total at approx. $30 for materials (not including syringe, clamp or optional scents). If you conserve, you could get 30 grenades, but I would leave yourself some breathing room and go for 2 dozen, 6-ounce grenades. This puts the cost at roughly $1.25 per grenade.

Question of paint staining: One suggestion is don't use boiled-down paintballs. We tried this and determined while the fill itself won't stain, once boiled down the pigment of the shells will stain. We went with Crayola children's washable paint. It dissolves well and washes right out.

Keep the questions coming!

#14 User is offline   poor stocker 

• Allright men, time to bring in the big guns.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:poor stocker

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:39 AM

I have to say, that was one of the most worthwhile reads I've had all week. I applaude you. Posted Image
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

maximum 2 lines of text with images
Max 6 lines of text, no image

#15 User is offline   Get To The CHOPPA!! 

• DIY Grenade Expert
  • PipPip

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:42 AM

View Postpoor stocker, on Sep 28 2006, 10:39 AM, said:

I have to say, that was one of the most worthwhile reads I've had all week. I applaude you. Posted Image

Thanks stocker....what can I say? I do it for the children.

--GTTC

Share this topic:

• (39 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users