Special Ops Paintball: Vests......do they make the heat even worse? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vests......do they make the heat even worse? I don't want to over heat

#16 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:53 PM

blackhawk mesh vests seem to have "map pockets" that could fit the gel cool-paks of a certain size....might that be an option? Im not sure of SO vests, so i'll ask my friend abt them...i know some "battle belt" rigs have the ability to remove padding for lightness and might be workable for a cool-pak belt rig....
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

#17 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

Anytime you cover your body it's gonna retain heat - mesh, cordura, even a t-shirt. I have a cordura plate carrier & it gets very hot. In between games or at break points during a scenario the first thing I do is take the vest off. As CamoD metioned, they do retain sweat as well so it gets heavier too. The heat here in Western PA / NE Ohio is never as hot as Texas, we see 90*+ fairly regularly throughout July & August w/ high humidity, heat index 100*+. I rarely play late July & August, usually because it's a busy time but partly because it's too hot to gear up. For 10 months out of the year though I love my vest. I am however planning on using a molle tac belt this Summer to lighten my loadout when it does get hotter.

xscout brought up a nice trick that I was going to mention - the use of the camelback as a back coolant, not just to drink. Even for short games the added weight would be more than offset if the water was cold enough to help keep your body temp down. The use of gel packs is also a good trick, they are lighter & stay colder longer. They can be placed in the mesh hydration pouch instead of a bladder, but I don't know how well they'd work if placed in another pouch like on the chest, almost too much material between it & your skin - worth a try though.

This post has been edited by ger: 10 February 2009 - 10:36 AM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#18 User is offline   Ciderbarrel 

• "Crazy Eyes"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ciderbarrel

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

I have a vest with room for 8 pods in the back and 3 in the front. I load up and run around with just over 3/4ths a case of paint (140 * 11 = about 1,540 + 200 in the hopper equals approx. 1,700 balls), plus my 68/4500 HPA tank and I don't get too hot, and that's with full camo. I took a camel bladder from my biking backpack and made a rig to hold it under my vest and loop the mouthpiece near my face. It holds 3 liters, so that does help keep me cool.

I fill it up with water the night before and just leave it in the fridge. After about 6 hours of ballin', it does get warm due to time/body heat. The field I play at most of the time does sell chilled gatorade and I start stocking up on that about 2 hours to close and I'll dump out the water and fill the bladder with about a liter of gatorade.

#19 User is offline   Tippmann33 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

Anyone try these yet to help with body heat when wearing a vest?

http://www.milsimproducts.com/cart.php?tar...ategory_id=1543

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users