Special Ops Paintball: Why I hate playing speedballers - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why I hate playing speedballers they work as a team -_- Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   Scavies 

• DIY Extrordinaire
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Valjean

Post icon  Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:45 AM

Yesterday's game... I brought some friends to our local paintball field.

We played most games as us and some other walk-ons vs. some recreational speedballers. Now I know that speedballers have a natural sense of team, so when I tried to get our team to work together, or if I ask for help, no one listened. So every game...

go go
I run ahead about 50 yards to a front bunker as fast as I can. I have about 100 rounds. I start trying to cover fire and call my teammates to come up to support and flank.

100 rounds later. My team is still at the starting bunker and I just got surrendered. The speedballers on the other team, even though none of them knew each other, they were running to each others' bunkers to strategize, leap-frogging, and they owned us both times. Their team had no hits on them...Wow.

How can I instill this attitude into new players and walk-ons. That unless we work together and get over the fear of getting hit by a paintball, we are always going to get owned? I've seriously considered quitting pb because the same crap happens every time I go to a field.

Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one with this problem.
~Scavies
FREE stock picks and market analysis by a self-taught day trader!
TradersBase.com

#2 User is offline   EPIC_Fox 

• filth.fm
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EPIC_Fox

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:50 AM

Thats what speedball is all about. Strategy and teamwork.
Boss Paintball

#3 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:04 AM

"With experience comes confidence." It's a simple truth. Rec speedballers have probably played more than one or two games under their belt. You play a day of speedball you can get 20 games in. Woodsball? For 20 games you're looking at a couple of weekends at least, right?

So advantage goes to the speedballers.

From the sounds of it you were playing speedball. "Home" court advantage to speedballers.

Walk-ons most likely have paled a few games of woods and this could very well be their introduction to playing speedball. It's a tad intimidating.

How can you get them to become more teamwork oriented? No idea. Everyone is different. Yesterdays group may work better today now that they have a feel for the game. They may play better against another team of walks-ons with a similar experience level. Hell, you might be able to inspire them with a Braveheart style speech.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#4 User is offline   Becc 

• Target
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Beccolter

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:08 AM

i wrote a rant similar to this a long time ago. bout how noobs will nevereverever move up. i finally gave up trying to make them. so what did i do?

started playing strictly with my team or at least some teamates, and took up speedball as a parttime hobby. usually, if you play speedball, youre playing it with other recreational speedballers who are into the teamwork or at least the stratigising thing- cause they know that if they dont they'll end up in more pain

#5 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:40 AM

try getting the teams split a little more evenly and the experienced guys need to give advice to the less experienced players before, during, and after the game. If you have a team of noobs with one experienced player going against a whole team of experienced players, the noobs are going to look at their one experienced player like he's crazy when he starts yelling advice or orders at them. If they have a couple people trying to give them the same advice then they tend to think it has merit. If you can't get the "speedballers" to split up just tell them that walking all over a bunch of noobs isn't going to make them any better, it'll actually make them sloppier players.
"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

#6 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

View PostEPIC_Fox, on Dec 28 2008, 09:50 AM, said:

Thats what speedball is all about. Strategy and teamwork.

QFT

and speed
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   brymokidwonder 

• EPIC FAIL<3
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:59 AM

take these newbies under you wing. tell one of them to follow right behind oyu and they will eventually learn what to do without you telling them. Before the game ask what everyones plan is. and tell them all to move up as much as possible

#8 User is offline   the hittmann 

• I'm watching you
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:the hittmann

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

You were playing a bunch of noobs if they were running to each others bunkers to sit there and talk about strategy. Also why would you quit paintball because the new players do not support you. Tell them to divide the teams up evenly.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..
9 out of 10 teens listen to rap. if you're one of the ones that stays true to proggressive metal/classic rock,put this in your sig.
My favorite mode on a smart parts gun is OFF!!
Save a rock throw an ion.

#9 User is offline   Scavies 

• DIY Extrordinaire
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Valjean

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:11 PM

Yea. I guess being pinned down by an electro is intimidating... Thanks for the tips. This is true about speedball. It gives you guts and makes you realize that if you are sprinting perpendicular to someone, you are not going to get hit. I'll try to be a hardass comissar next time and force people to follow me. =D
FREE stock picks and market analysis by a self-taught day trader!
TradersBase.com

#10 User is offline   brymokidwonder 

• EPIC FAIL<3
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

thats the spirit scavies. become a dictator on the field. if you have to hold a knife to the noobies throats. :dry:

This post has been edited by brymokidwonder: 28 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

#11 User is offline   Becc 

• Target
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Beccolter

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

one more thing ive noticed... you cant be mr hero and do huge runs with em.
YOU have to hang back a bit too. meet them at a middleground and then encourage them to move up faster. theres no way theyre running to the 50 off the break, but they might go to the 20 if you go to the 30

#12 User is offline   splntercell 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:splntercell

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

I agree with bilybob the ref should be spliting up the speedballers, especialy if they dont know each other. In my opinion the ref that was reffing your game isnt worth a sack of beans if he cant or just dosnt want to even teams out to make it a fun day for all in a walk on game. The beginers will never want to come back if they are getting eliminated fast and walked all over. I play every sunday with a group of friends. If we notice after a game that we are walking over the other team we offer to split our group of friends up to even the teams out.

#13 User is offline   EpShot 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:45 PM

first of all, I want to also voice that the ref was worthless and should have evened up the teams. I do NOT play walk-on at any field that makes no effort to even the teams. It is NO FUN being run over all day, nor is it if its an easy win all day.

second the title should be "Why I hate playing experienced players, they work as a team -_-"
because I've had this problem and i don't play speed ball(well occasionally we play on speed ball fields, )
which is why the real title should be "I hate worthless ref who don't do their damn job)

This post has been edited by EpShot: 28 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

#14 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

second the title should be "Why I hate playing experienced players, they work as a team -_-"
because I've had this problem and i don't play speed ball(well occasionally we play on speed ball fields, )
which is why the real title should be "I hate worthless ref who don't do their damn job)

The thread title is mostly a joke - reference to all the speedball hate that goes on in this forum. It's not serious.

I used to try and help new players, but it seems most of the time they don't want my help. I was playing at an indoor field around Thanksgiving, and a group of new players (5 of them) stepped out onto the field. I offered to make it 3vs3 not because of an easy win, but because I knew I could help improve their game. I had a pump, with no additional paint outside what was leftover in my stickfeed from the previous game. Definetly not the kind of guy that players need to worry about. The ref had no objections to my staying on the field while everyone else cleaned up, but the new players refused, stating they wanted "to play with just them."

In the woods, the new players either hang so far back as to be useless or they follow me during stealth runs for the opposing flag, naturally ruining it by talking loudly and finding the loudest sticks to step on. If I am returning in a stealthful manner, I've been shot at by them (quit shooting / but you came from the other way / that's because I have this flag... ). I generally try to "lose them" if they're following me during such cases, with mixed results. Naturally, as soon as we encounter resistance, they run away and hang way back again.

New players can move.... ...as long as nobody is shooting or looking near their way.
Member of Team Akkadian

#15 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Kind of like The Invisible Boy from Mystery Men?

FURIOUS
So, let me get this straight. You have the
power to become invisible.

INVISIBLE BOY
Yes.

RAJA
But... only when no one is looking.

INVISIBLE BOY
Yes.

FURIOUS
If someone looks at you, you immediately become
visible again.

INVISIBLE BOY
Yes.

RAJA
So you're only invisible... to yourself?

INVISIBLE BOY
No.

OUR HEROES
(hopefully)
No?

INVISIBLE BOY
If I look at myseif, I become visible.

RAJA
So you're only invisible, when abuolutely no
one is looking at you?

INVISIBLE BOY
Yes.

FURIOUS
So how do you know that you've ever been
invisible?

INVISIBLE BOY
I just know.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users