• You cannot reply to this topic

paintball with type 1 diabetes

#1 User is offline   commander mike 

• the door is locked now but its open if your true - Metallica
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:commander mike

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

On Wednesday I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It was a shock to me because I have always been healthy and had a good diet. I spent up to this afternoon in the hospital. There they educated me and taught me what I need to know in order to take care of myself. They said as long as I do what I should there shouldn't be any further health problems associated with my condition.

One thing I would like to be more familiar with is playing paintball with diabetes type 1. The doctors said intense activities will lower my blood sugar and high stress such as adrenaline could raise it. I will want to take my blood sugar reading about every hour they said and address accordingly.

With that being said, I would like anybody with diabetes to give me a rough idea of what it will be like.
Posted Image
Friends dont let friends shoot .50 cal... - The Stuntman

#2 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

well i dont got the sugar but just keep this in mind

Jay Cutler of the dever broncos, the qb in case you didnt know, also has the sugar. so dont for one second ever think to yourself that your stupid disease is an excuse to stop playing.

footnotes
sugar refers to diabetes
your disease may not be stupid but i bet that if it was then it would be easy to beat

on your actually question i got nothing, sorry my blood isnt currently trying to kill me, my lungs did for some time, and i cant see too well on my left, my ankle tends to hurt and probally needs some real medical attention.... im a mess.

point is im glad your still planning on playing expect the best from you.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#3 User is offline   Bobbjoe 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bobbjoe

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

I'm a type 1 and it doesn't, nor has ever, impacted any activity i do. If you feel low after a game you just drink some Gatorade in the staging area. In the long run you'll figure out that despite the grim outlooks the doctors give you, you can mantain a healthy lifestyle without really changing your life at all.

This post has been edited by Bobbjoe: 14 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

I Choose not to Conform to the Stereotypical Conformities that Stereotypical Conformative Society Conforms to.
What now?

#4 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:20 AM

Diabetes is likely to have no affect on your lifestyle. It's a condition that can be easily managed now that you are aware of it.

When you play let the site staff know you are diabetic. Carry things such as a drink and a straw. This will allow you to deal with it out on the field without lifting your mask. If you have insulin injection 'pens' you can carry one out in the field with you.

Once you have been self testing for a little while you will soon learn the early signs from how you feel and can make an educated decision as to whether you realy want or need to carry drink or insulin on you or just have it available in your gear at the safe zone.

http://www.diabetes....-1-diabetes.jsp

http://en.wikipedia....mellitus_type_1

I'm not diabetic but my best friend was.
I lost her last year but not to diabetes.

#5 User is offline   FlamingMace 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

My dad has type 1 diabetes... at first its hard to regulate your blood sugar levels and get used to it... but my dad has been playing paintball since before i was born and he still does today.

Just keep a choco bar in ur vest incase you feel like ur getting a sugar low. He keeps twixes in his 10 round pod holders on his vest... genius. I wouldn't worry about it tho, you'll be fine, doctors make it out to be worse than it is. If you keep fit you will find that the diabetes will not take too much of a toll on your stystem in terms of exercise.

Good luck with everything dude.

#6 User is offline   Guy In Digi Camo 

• The Forum Authority On Alaska- pm me if you have any ?'s
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Guy In Digi Camo

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

As was said before this does not spell the end of your paintball carreer, you just need to be a little more careful

heres what i would do

-Do what the doctor says and change your diet and start working out i cannot stress this enough since i have several family members that are diabetic and they did not do this and have gotten worse and worse. That doesnt mean going vegitarian and tofuy and stuff just try to work in healthier things into your diet.

-Go and buy some Hostess little chocolate doughnuts and munch on thoe between games, they have alot of sugar and other crap that will keep you going, but only do this when working out hard or youll just get a belly

- As was said carry something sugary out into the feild with you, like a small bottle of gatorade or chocolate bar somethng with a high sugar load, so if you feel lightheaded just "Set up an ambush" and munch down.

-If it really affects you badly try to slow your game up a bit, start playing defense, get into being an ambush sniper, start acting as a commander But dont give up, its not worth giving up something you love to do.

-Buy lighter and more breathable gear such as a dagger or sabre vest and Ultra Light cammies to keep you from overheating easily.

-TELL the reffing staff and your team about your condition that way they know, so they know that you might have to take a break every once in a while and wont make you do something that taxes you too much, and if you pass out they know whats wrong and can get you help immediately. If you dont do this you are doing a disservice to your team and potentially risking your life by putting yourself in a position you cannot perform

This post has been edited by Guy In Digi Camo: 16 February 2009 - 11:58 PM

Going to be in Alaska check out my up to date post where you can get your questions answeredAlaska

#7 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:57 AM

See i am the opposite, i have Type II diabetes, ie i am a lard butt and caused it myself from bad eating. Had to totally change how i ate to drop off all the excess sugars and calories. You are the opposite.

Biggest thing is just watch what you eat. Seriously. If you feel dizzy or nauseaus EVER, go eat right away. Seriously. That is the first sign of low blood sugar, dizziness/nasusea.

You will learn to deal with pricking your finger daily. It gets old fast, but doesn't really hurt. Make sure to poke the sides of your finger. Not where you have your finger prints. My doctor explained it to me as, everytime you poke your finger tip or middle of the finger, you are killing nerves that are there. Very sensitive nerves that help you touch, and also register a lot of pain from the prick. Keep pricking them and you will loose much of your sense of touch. Instead pop yourself on the side of the finger, between the nail and the fingerprint area. It is harder to draw blood from there, but i think saving your ability to touch and feel is worth it. And it hurts much less.

If you draw a reading and the numbers just don't look right, ie super high or super low... do another reading on another finger. Just to be safe. Meters can go wrong sometimes, so try agian to verify. I have had mine say 50 before or 300+ before on random occasions, then teh second reading comes out normal.

but once again i repeat...if you ever feel dizzy or nauseuas (damn i can't spell that word), then eat right away...anything...you need to raise your sugar. If not you can slip into a diabetic coma....not a good thing...not at all.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#8 User is offline   Ciderbarrel 

• "Crazy Eyes"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ciderbarrel

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

"Luckily" I have the opposite problem. I have Type II and yes, high impact activity will lower your blood sugar levels (and dehydration will raise them. It's sent me to the hospital 3 times in 3 years) so I begun a strict diet and high impact workout routine to combat it and I pretty much got rid of it...Well, it's managed, at the very least.

My father had Type I and he was on glucophage (sp?) and with proper diet and checking your blood when you need it, it is VERY manageable. Like what others have said, Gatorade and/or hard sugar candies can help raise your blood sugar if you're low or crashing but do so in moderation. The LAST thing you want to do is start yo-yoing. Taking sugar then having to give yourself a shot and then having to take more sugar because you're all over the place isn't fun at all.

#9 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

I know a gun with type 1. Physical exercise lowers the amount of insulin he needs to inject
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   bravo316 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:bravo316

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

I think the best advice here so far was to get to know your "clues" for low sugar. As well as letting the Ref's know of your DM type I. THis way should you collapse if there are Docs, medics, or EMT's playing (you would be surprised) They may be able to help you. Above all educate yourself. Have fun and don't let it get you down or change your life style of Paintball.

B

#11 User is offline   txhazard 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Post icon  Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

Ive been a type 1 Diabetic for seven years now, just need to learn your signs and keep foods or drinks with carbs in them, the best thing to keep on your self or in your gear vest is Glucose Tablets, they cost like a buck fity at walmart.

There are very few things that diabetes can hold you back from doing as long as your prepared, make sure tose around you are aware of your situation aswell incase anything bad happens.

Good luck man.
"Molon Labe"

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users