Special Ops Paintball: .50 cal - the New Best Way to Heavy Gun? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

.50 cal - the New Best Way to Heavy Gun? Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

While I'd agree with you Rathje, I have come to realize that there's a distinct difference between woodsball and milsim. Milsim is more of a "limited ammo" setup, while woodsball seems to be anything goes sorta thing. They overlap, that's for sure, and I play milsim whenever I can, which is why I'm looking to sell my 98c to switch to a T9.1. I like the clip fed, I like the gameplay of limited ammo. But when I'm out playing woodsball, there are tons of speedballer's out there dressed up in thier hunting gear using thier 9 pods and ramping boards with shiny guns. And I have no problem with that.

#17 User is offline   Sniper Cowboy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Christian Cowboy

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

I and a colleague were discussing the benefits and detriments of limiting ammo just the other day, actually. We boiled it down to not a matter of limiting ammo, but limiting ROF. I personally don't see a problem with a guy packing two cases of ammo on his back, particularly if he is playing suppression. Fact of the matter is, when you are playing suppression, you shoot more paint without as many kills all the time. However, just because a guy packs a lot of paint doesn't mean he needs to shoot high ROF. As I said before, 2-5 bps is more than enough to suppress most players on the field. If the sport as a whole were to limit the ROF to about 7 bps (the magic number we came up with), that's not so bad, and that's more than enough firepower. But it will take more than that. It's going to require a whole mentality shift in the sport to start bringing people back in, that it's not about lighting up newbs and owning the opfor, but about working as a team and having fun doing it. Afterwards, your team and the opfor get together for drinks and talk about the good time you just had. But, I digress and lay off the rant I was going into, and come back to topic (slap and shake of the face, REFOCUS).

They've been pushing .50 really hard in the adds with GI milsim and spyder, and it is an idea to try to get people back in the sport and attract more to play (from what I see, but correct me if I'm wrong). But I don't think it is a good idea. Rather, focus adds on getting parents to play, get the dads and moms out there. They have the money, they'll bring their kids, and they are the mentors. They will help teach their kids good conduct and help keep them interested in playing. That is where our long term players are.
"Go get my flamethrower." Doc of the Whiteboard Webcomic

#18 User is offline   Rathje 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rathje

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

Sniper, I agree with that in general.

I think insane rates of fire just make the whole thing a bit stupid for some people. 20 bps should be something you only see on special characters at scenario games in my opinion. I'm just talking woodsball here - because I don't really care what the airball people do with themselves.

A lot of the big marketing push behind .50 cal is that it doesn't hurt as much.

I think this is kind of dumb, to be honest.

Let's face it - paintball is a macho sport. People may bitch about getting lit up by some jerk with an Ego, but they'll still happily and proudly post the pictures of all the black and blue welts too (face it - deep down inside, we take a bit of pride in our battle injuries). We actually kind of LIKE the pain aspect of paintball - as much as we complain about it. It makes it feel more like a "real" fight - which is why we show up on the weekend.

The marketers for .50 cal like to complain about how new players get scared off by the pain and stuff when they have office parties at the local airball field and stuff. That's true enough.

But let's face it - those people weren't going to fork out money on the sport anyway. And if they did join the sport, it wouldn't be for long. This sport and the mentality needed to do well at it are not present in the type of people who would quit the sport just for getting shot on the inside of the leg from 20 feet with a .68 cal round. Happened to me my first season - it hurt BAD. The bruise was actually bleeding.

I thought it was freaking awesome.

If they really want to tone down the excesses of the sport, reducing rates of fire, not paint size is the way to do it. Overshooting is more of a problem than the occasional welt from .68 cal.

#19 User is offline   Sniper Cowboy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Christian Cowboy

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

Good call, Rathje. You make a very valid point on the kind of people who will come to play and stay in the sport. That was the way it was with me and my buddies, the welts are bragging rights. And there was no mercy kills when it was just us playing on our field, we all accepted that there was going to be pain. Only when there was new people did we implement mercy. Speaking of bragging welts, I went to school after getting shot in the jugular at close range, and people thought it was a hickey until I explained it to them. Made them laugh and got a few to come play at our field :) On the other hand, they may have a point about it turning the renters and group parties off of paintball, so maybe there is a niche for .50 in the renting area. As far as the mainstream paintballers, it may gain a foothold, but I think after all the shiny lights and glamor magic wears off of .50, it will have a limited reach into the market in comparison to .68 But, to each his own. If a person tries out .50 and finds they like it, they'll play with it as long as it is available. If a person is comfortable with sticking to .68, that's what they'll do. Heck, this summer I'll probably be shooting the first strike exclusively because I like the range, accuracy, and limited ammo gameplay that comes with clips, but I know a lot of others who wouldn't shoot it because they don't enjoy it. In the end, it depends on how YOU play, what YOU want to do. There is no best way except what works for you, cliche' as that sounds. Just please don't light up the newbs! Shoot them, sure, but teach them what you know after, and keep teaching yourself. (note: the last bit wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just thought I should clarify that)
"Go get my flamethrower." Doc of the Whiteboard Webcomic

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users