Special Ops Paintball: Serioiusly considering becoming a one man team - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Serioiusly considering becoming a one man team Tired of people constantly backing out. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

Basically I have made several attempts over the last couple years to either organize a semi-serious scenario team or just get a group of players together for a particular event. With the team effort it would fall apart when one person started to think they couldn't afford to go to an event four months out. With getting a group together they would be all for it, but when it came time to start sending in money it was "I'll send it out next week." Last season I decided to take a break from trying to organize anything and figure out which direction I wanted to go. Because life happened my conscious break from organizing anything turned into pretty decent break from the sport. I still did a lot of thinking during the season.

Now it is a new season and I have a pretty good idea which way I want to go. Part of it comes from reading blackrain's sponsorship thread. That is what really got me thinking. Whenever I go to events I am pretty much a one man show. The few times I did take another player with me, I still ended up being by myself. While talking to my wife and other players I have realized that while I may be part of a team effort the majority of my play style is done solo. All I really have to do now is decide if I want to officially become a one man team or if I just want to be one of many "free agents" that are out there.

If I do officially become a one man team there are a few things to figure out. The main one I am concerned with at this point is the team name. Basically do I refer to myself in the third person or do I come up with an easily identifiable team name. Many of us know that blackrain and Team Blackrain are one and the same. Also many who attend Viper events probably know that One Woman Army is player with the call sign Phoenix. If I go the third person route I will obviously shorten it to Team DarkShadow as opposed to the whole screen name. If I go with the team name approach I will more than likely go with Screwball, One Each (those on my facebook might get the reference).

#2 User is offline   MejorQueNada 

• it is better to watch something than to do something
  • Pip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

team name = UNO
:P

#3 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

your slogan can be "There isnt a I in team, but theres a I in Win"

#4 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:48 AM

View PostMejorQueNada, on 15 April 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

team name = UNO

While comical it doesn't really fit my play style nor any of my quirks. The team name I would use if I went that route fits me, just ask anyone I have worked with. Referring to myself in the third person would work since I tend to stay close to shadows when I can.

View PostEskimo, on 15 April 2011 - 02:06 PM, said:

your slogan can be "There isnt a I in team, but theres a I in Win"

Meh, I am not really in the sport to win. I am there to have fun. I also don't care if I get a piece of the prize package. Depending on what it is I might even give it to another player.

#5 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:54 AM

your slogan could be
There isnt a You in Team. But theres a Me in Fun.

AHA WIN

#6 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:30 PM

You could just play and not be so hung up on "teams".
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#7 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

I don't know if now is the best time to be organizing a paintball team. It's an expensive hobby and a lot of folks can't afford it right now. Do you know how many of the potential team members just didn't really want to organize a team but kept playing versus those who were simply dropping out of paintball altogether?
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#8 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

View Postaslanprime, on 15 April 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

You could just play and not be so hung up on "teams".

I was approached by a team that took the game way to seriously. It wasn't a direct offer, but I could tell they were gauging my interest in joining them. While I was taking last season off I pretty much made up my mind that I was going to be a one man show. After I read blackrain's sponsorship thread it got my wheels turning about making myself a one man team.

View PostMaDuce, on 15 April 2011 - 05:00 PM, said:

I don't know if now is the best time to be organizing a paintball team. It's an expensive hobby and a lot of folks can't afford it right now. Do you know how many of the potential team members just didn't really want to organize a team but kept playing versus those who were simply dropping out of paintball altogether?

Three years ago was a bad time in my area. It has just gotten worse since then. To help put it in perspective my home field decided not to host any events this year because attendance has slipped from at least 100 players to lucky to see more than five people show up for the event. To answer your question all the potential team members dropped out of the sport. Some dropped out right away and other slowly dropped out.

#9 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:37 PM

Well paintball has its cycles in terms of growth and decline. If the idea of running a paintball team still appeals to you, you'll probably find more success down the road. And any sponsorship deals you can make while freelancing will help.
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#10 User is offline   Mehphisto 

• JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRL
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:37 PM

I've never really understood the 1 man team thing, since it kind of implies multiple people. It seems like a one man team would basically just be an individual with sponsorships.
Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

ELITESPORTS OT
The only original OT team

#11 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:17 PM

That really depends on perspective. The one man team could be an individual with sponsorships. It could also be an individual player with a pit crew. The pit crew is part of the team, just not a player. In paintball when we think about a team we really don't think about the pit crew or even consider if the team has one. Now when it comes to the individual player w/o a pit crew I don't know what looks better to perspective sponsors. With that would you rather hear the company say "We sponsor John Smith," or would you rather hear them say "We sponsor Team Smith."?

#12 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

View PostMehphisto, on 15 April 2011 - 09:37 PM, said:

I've never really understood the 1 man team thing, since it kind of implies multiple people. It seems like a one man team would basically just be an individual with sponsorships.

Not only does 1 man not = a team by definition. But the whole "sponsorship" thing is a joke as well.

I mean, when I'm thinking "sponsorship", I'm thinking of an established team that is doing well and is well recognized in the sport. They then get free stuff, that they use, because using said stuff gets other players to want to use said stuff.

What is "not" a sponsorship is all the rest of that crap you see with many rec teams where they get like a 5% discount on orders from a store if they put the store on their homepage or something like that. I mean, paintball is one of the worst sports for this, but it's almost embarrassing to see these teams with virtually no credentials (or in this case players) that are bragging because they have like 9 sponsors. I mean, really? When the only criteria for getting a sponsor is filling out an online form, and all you get is a discount if you order a bunch of stuff...it just makes sponsorships out to be a "joke", in my opinion.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#13 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

i found the same thing happens when it comes to teams. the problem is everyone thinks its awesome and they're all gugn ho, until it comes time to cough up the clams. my best reccomendations are to just go merc, or associate yourself with established teams. i've run several teams and i know how frustrating it is to organize people who actually have to pay to participate.

not only that, but being a merc has its benefits.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#14 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

View Postaslanprime, on 19 April 2011 - 10:09 PM, said:

What is "not" a sponsorship is all the rest of that crap you see with many rec teams where they get like a 5% discount on orders from a store if they put the store on their homepage or something like that. I mean, paintball is one of the worst sports for this, but it's almost embarrassing to see these teams with virtually no credentials (or in this case players) that are bragging because they have like 9 sponsors. I mean, really? When the only criteria for getting a sponsor is filling out an online form, and all you get is a discount if you order a bunch of stuff...it just makes sponsorships out to be a "joke", in my opinion.

The problem is, this is an expensive sport. Companies want to get their product out there on all levels. As such, they give discounts to allow players easier access to their gear. Yes, the top level teams get their gear free, like the MLB, NHL, etc. Then you get the D# teams, regional teams, scenario teams. Those are like Club, High School, maybe college. Guess what? Those places don't get their stuff free. In high school, my football team was Sponsored by Nike. Nike gave our school pads, helmets, and made our jerseys at a discount. Now, we didn't go around saying 'Oh yeah, our team is sponsored by Nike.' But in return for the discount (which players could also use to buy shoes), we put their logo on our programs, scoreboard, displayed it on our jerseys, etc. There's different levels of sponsorship. Just because you're not getting totally free gear doesn't mean you don't have a sponsorship.

And roster size has nothing to do with it. Ask anyone at Fulda Gap last year if they saw the two guys in purple running around in Kilts. That was our whole team (plus my Dad, who is a semi-member). There were two of us, but guess what? We got just as much attention, if not more, as the other teams. We had a couple companies come to us about sponsorships at that game. Heck, look at Foolybear. He was sponsored by Chronic/ZAP, and was one person. He wasn't a team, he was just very visible in the paintball world, writing articles for magazines and attending many games all over the country.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#15 User is offline   Mehphisto 

• JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRL
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:58 PM

View Postaslanprime, on 19 April 2011 - 11:09 PM, said:

View PostMehphisto, on 15 April 2011 - 09:37 PM, said:

Not only does 1 man not = a team by definition. But the whole "sponsorship" thing is a joke as well.

I mean, when I'm thinking "sponsorship", I'm thinking of an established team that is doing well and is well recognized in the sport. They then get free stuff, that they use, because using said stuff gets other players to want to use said stuff.

I don't agree 100% with your definition of sponsorship. I agree that when a team starting out gets like a 5% discount it isn't really a sponsorship, but it doesn't necessarily have to be free either.
Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

ELITESPORTS OT
The only original OT team

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users