• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how to make ion quieter? help.

#1 User is offline   time bomb 

• you only have one butt to risk
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:04 PM

ok, i have an ion, with ndz low rise feed neck, magnetic ball detents, and a blade trigger. i am getting an eggy as soon as i get 60 bucks, and then i am getting a barrel. i want to know how to make my ion silent. i know to get a barrel, with alot of porting, and im probably getting an all american barrel kit. (12 inches) but what i need to know is how to make my gun quiet other than the barrel.

#2 User is offline   Kold Fusion 

• Lest we Forget
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kold Fusion

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:09 PM

Best thing I can say due to my no experiance with any Smart Parts marker is a well ported barrel. I like J&J's personally good bang for your buck (pun intended). Beyond that. There are much more well versed on this forum than I.

I know you only asked for help aside from barrel but at least I gave you another choice based on personal preferance.

Cheers,
K. Fusion

This post has been edited by Kold Fusion: 04 February 2007 - 01:10 PM

#3 User is offline   time bomb 

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

what about evil pipe kit? is it quiet?

#4 User is offline   cjottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:19 PM

View Posttime bomb, on Feb 4 2007, 03:04 PM, said:

ok, i have an ion, with ndz low rise feed neck, magnetic ball detents, and a blade trigger. i am getting an eggy as soon as i get 60 bucks, and then i am getting a barrel. i want to know how to make my ion silent. i know to get a barrel, with alot of porting, and im probably getting an all american barrel kit. (12 inches) but what i need to know is how to make my gun quiet other than the barrel.

A double-vented Palmer's Pursuit Shop (PPS) brass barrel is deadly silent. Part of it is the porting but the weight of the brass may have something to do with it.

Also: PPS brass is elliptically honed so it has different bore diameters at different points along the length. This is kind of like a kit but with a varying insert size and nothing to swap or buy. You can get a small or medium bore version of the barrel. Search the forum for threads about them. I had one on my SP-8 (Ion guts... I had the L6 bolt, T-board, later an L7 bolt). Crazy accurate - as good as the best kits out there. (tested along side a Hammerhead)

#5 User is offline   time bomb 

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:58 PM

yeah, i have heard great things about the palmer brass barrel, but i think i want a pipe kit.

#6 User is offline   Cyanidepoison 

• SpecOps's Infamous.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

Why? PPS brass is the best barrel evar! It shoots any paint and is whisper quiet.

And another question...ions are about the quietest guns I am ever shot, why do you want it any quieter. After how quiet it is stock, there is about no noticeable difference from the person being shot at, its almost not noticeable.
The sun rises to a crisp blanket of snow...

#7 User is offline   time bomb 

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

i haven't been able to fire it yet, (no paint or air) but i have shot one, and it isn't exactly the quietest gun ever, but i want it dead DUMPER sielent

#8 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

Really? My Ion w/ lucky eyes and stock barrel is deadly quiet.
Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT

#9 User is offline   Gwac 

• Child proof caps have ruined my Happiness
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:00 PM

I have a pipe kit, with ultra tip and compared to my stock infinity barrel its a little louder.
If you want a carbon fibre barrel and inserts look at the deadly winds one as well.

#10 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:07 PM

i've been 30 yards from my team, unleashed a fury of fire and they never even knew i engaged the opponent. and the rest of the field was dead quiet. so if that's not quiet enough i don't think anything is going to satisfy you. i do have an upgraded barrel though (j&j ceramic 12") the j&j is quieter than the stock barrel but there's not a huge difference.

other things that could be a slight improvement would be getting a good qev, regulator, and bolt. this would help it operate at a lower pressure but again, it's not going to make a huge difference. if anybody knows something i dont, plz let me know. good luck though, if you figure something out share the knowledge and repost. later.
"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

#11 User is offline   volume 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:25 PM

I have a sp8 so there simaler,mine is as quiet as I think it will get.Anything around twenty five - thirty yards it is hart to hear the pop of my gun.Getting a fire bolt and a 360 qev will help a little.These arent what people usually think of but what they do is allow you to lower you pressure so less air will be rushing through your barrel.Heavy porthing is what you want but bear in mind you will loose some efficiency but if you get a bolt and qev you will regain some of the lost efficiency.The quietest barrel I have ever heard is a carbon fiber stiffie.They are expensive though.

Hope this helps!

#12 User is offline   Korlo 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

It may sound loud sense you are right next to your gun, but to those others around you unless they're around the corner won't hear you.

My SP-8 is quiet enough for me, it's with the stealth barrel, but twenty feet away, maybe less than that, and they couldn't hear a twinge of sound from me. That was with stock, or generally speaking, equipment. I had my team blaming me for not shooting except i didn't have any paint left.

You might want to have someone else shoot it so you can really tell how loud or not it is.

My personal experiences show that most ions are fairly silent, my two cents.

#13 User is offline   Ghostduck 

• Quack! Quack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghostduck

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

There are two ways that I know of to make the ion quieter by NOT using different barrels as you have specified earlier.

One: TechT L7 Bolt. Because of the lighter mass of the bolt there is less force being used to power the bolt back and forth. This results in less friction, and less MASS stopping when the bolt reaches its furthest forward part and most rearward portion backward. With the less mass hitting either direction there is less "CLUNK" inside the internals. This will quiet the marker down even more than it already is.

TWO: not a barrel.. but a barrel Shroud.

The SP-8 is essentially an Ion in a completely different tactical body. However its barrel is designed in such a way as to work with the Foregrip of the marker that essentialy makes the foregrip a "Silencer" if you will. The diameter of the barrel is large enough to close the gap between the barrel and the foregrip and at the same time it keeps all of the barrel ports WITHIN the foregrip which muffles the escaping air that comes from the porting behind the ball as it exits.

Using this same ideology in mind and not making an actual debateable "Silencer" a simple barrel shroud that can cover ALL of the porting or at least a large portion of the porting that is there for looks would be able reduce the noise level. The only thing is making a shroud that is not an eyesore for those instances that you don't want your marker to look like a tactical paintball piece.

I hope that helps you out some. But other than these two things the obvious things are the barrels, in which case the Carbon Fiber barrels from St!ff! and Deadly Wind are superb at making the already quiet Ion into a whisper machine.

GD
Proud Member of the Scottish Teabag Society

#14 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:00 PM

barrel shrouds typically make markers louder. there may not be as much sound coming from the sides of the barrel but there will be more "pop" coming out of the end. the shroud COULD make it quieter but for it to do that it would technically become a silencer because of the way you'd have o build it. i won't tell you exactly how to build a silencer but there's plenty of places online that you can find the info.
"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

#15 User is offline   time bomb 

• PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

ok, i will look into a lighter bolt, and maybe a qev. but i am still getting the pipe kit, even if it makes it louder.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users