• You cannot reply to this topic

Marker Trouble Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   lazyeye263 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:lazyeye263

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

I'm kinda new to paintball and having trouble deciding which of two markers to buy. Which of these two would you guys reccomend for a medium rifleman in woodsball. I'm thinking a Spyder MR1 or one of those US Army Alpha tactical guns. help me out. thanks

#2 User is offline   {R.A.U.}ThePoonisher 

• "Scary Instinct"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:{R.A.U.}ThePoonisher

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

If I were you I'd go with the Army gun. It's more reliable than the MR1 ,or so I'm assuming. Also you don't want to have to deal with the electronics in the MR1. It's nice to have a fast shooting marker but stability and strength over bps. Or at least for me.

{R.A.U.}ThePoonisher :ghillie:
- - ->Future A51 Baller<- - -

Come back to us when all this is over. There will always be a place for you here.
Will it ever be over? I replied.
Everything that has a beginning has an ending, he said.

#3 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

View Post{R.A.U.}ThePoonisher, on Mar 22 2008, 05:01 PM, said:

If I were you I'd go with the Army gun. It's more reliable than the MR1 ,or so I'm assuming. Also you don't want to have to deal with the electronics in the MR1. It's nice to have a fast shooting marker but stability and strength over bps. Or at least for me.

{R.A.U.}ThePoonisher :ghillie:

The MR1 is not an electric marker. Your thinking of the E-MR1.

#4 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

The basic MR1 is the only non-electric of the MR series.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of either, but if you must choose between the two I would side with the Alpha Black. Spyder's aren't horrible, but the quality of their internals these days is really lacking. They really aren't built to withstand the higher pressures they operate at and suffer from premature wear on the parts leading to long term reliability issues.

While I like the style of MR1s a little more, Tippmann tend to use a little bit high quality materials and the design tends to be more accepting of liquid CO2 getting in.

This post has been edited by Piller: 22 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#5 User is offline   Gilla 

• Action shot!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:gilla

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:50 PM

For about $120, the alpha black comes with a stock and 14" (I think) barrel. The barrel isn't the best but for the price it's a nice starter. I like Tippmanns, I'm a little biased.

Go to a store and try them out. If one feels better to you, get that one, if they're about the same, I think the masses have spoken. :(
Who flung poo?

#6 User is offline   lazyeye263 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:lazyeye263

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:11 PM

thanks for your advice everybody

#7 User is offline   SHRIMPED! 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHRIMPED!

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:16 AM

If you can stretch, and I seriously reccomend you stretch a little... a Proto SLG runs for $150ish, obviously it can't run on CO2 so you're looking at a HPA tank, add another $50 for a 50ci/3k (600-700 shots) and you're golden.

The reason I say this is because:

Both markers you are currently looking at are, essentially, low end mechanical blow backs. Relatively high recoil and sound profile, poor efficiency.
However, they WORK.

I'm not overly familiar with Spyder markers, so I'll explain in comparison to the Tippmann.
On field maintenance is easy, few drops of oil and you're good.
That's where the good stuff ends... if you need to take 'em apart, quite frankly, the clam shell (two halves) design of the Tippmann (US Army) are more of a pain than a good thing - reason being that you have to get everything in place on one side, then carefully put the other half on top without disturbing anything...

Where as the Proto SLG:
On field maintenance requires a little more effort, you have to remove the bolt from the marker (which is a solid piece of aluminum, milled out) and lube it every so often.
Having said that... if your marker starts leaking, you have to do exactly the same thing.

I've worked on both, teched both on the field, the Proto is simply an easier marker in the long run, yes, it costs more... but you'll end up spending money on upgrades for a Tippmann anyway.
And of course you're getting the additional benefit of having semi/ramp/full auto. :)
But then... you do lose the whole mil-sim aspect.

My real advise is to play with as many markers as you can. At least see if you can hold 'em at a store.

#8 User is offline   AaronC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

I'm not a huge fan of either both are cheap entry level markers and either one will get you started just flip a coin to decide.

#9 User is offline   Gero 

• Rent this space
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gero

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

The Alpha Black looks like a really good buy, as long as the stock, carry handle and barrel shroud appeal to you. I use a stock and carry handle on my primary marker and I paid extra to get them. I will resist the temptation to add any other markers to this discussion even though there are many choices in your price range.

People I know that use the MR1 like it quite well. Nevertheless, I would recommend the Alpha Black over the MR1.

The Proto SLG looks like a nice marker. However, as Shrimped points out you can't use CO2 with this marker. So you would have to purchase an HPA tank and suddenly your affordable, lightweight marker becomes very different on both counts.

I have a marker similar to the Alpha Black and one that more closely resembles the Proto. I like them both but based on my personal experience I would recommend that you start with the Alpha Black.

Good luck and have fun!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users