Special Ops Paintball: My Choice of Tippmann 98 Upgrades - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Choice of Tippmann 98 Upgrades

#31 User is offline   sQoshTrEE 

• 10yr Balluh
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SQOSHUA

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

the 98c is mostly a rugged butt marker, its not made for speed. its fine as is, all you need is a good barrel.
I'm currently using the apex, which the barrel it comes with is pretty darn good. However, I also have a
brandless 14" "sniper" barrel that works just as good. Anything but the stock. Other than a barrel you need
a e-hopper. I think HPA on a 98c would just be a waist of money. One nice thing about the 98c is the metal body.
if you ever get bored of it, you can chop it up and mod it out. I've seen some crazy projects made from 98s, like an
M1 Grand! I actually plan to turn mine into the assault rifle from aliens, complete with shotgun. :ghillie:
Posted Image
Official Saber #16, Officialy REF #19,
xBoxLive: TheRiTTZer sQoshyRiTTZ sQoshyEpiqphail

#32 User is offline   Renquist 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

I would argue with HPA not being needed. Being able to run CO2 is nice, but seriously - you can get into HPA for around $40/50 these days and there's simply no reason not to.

#33 User is offline   sQoshTrEE 

• 10yr Balluh
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SQOSHUA

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:10 PM

thats cheap! :rolleyes:
thought it was twice that.
Official Saber #16, Officialy REF #19,
xBoxLive: TheRiTTZer sQoshyRiTTZ sQoshyEpiqphail

#34 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

^^^Depends on the size and type of tank you get. If you want a fiber-wrapped 68ci 4500psi tank with a good reg (i.e. Crossfire) then it's going to cost a lot more than that. But an aluminum 48ci 3000psi tank will be much cheaper. For example, you could plug this guy straight into a 98C and be good to go.

I don't know if you've gotten the RT versus E-Grip thing figured out yet, but I thought I'd chime in with a few points.

First off, as mentioned earlier, the RT does not waste any gas. The gas used by the RT (as well as the cyclone feed) is gas that your marker was already venting. So your efficiency won't change.

I have an E-Grip and love it, but you do have to be careful about your battery. So far I haven't run out mid-game. You just have to pay attention and change it on the early side. But as far as field legality, my field actually does allow RTs but anyone with an E-Grip is required to keep it on semi. I hadn't heard of a field that allows E-Grips over RTs, but I suppose it's possible. I'd check with the field(s) where you think you'll play most.

This post has been edited by Silent-7: 12 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

Posted Image

#35 User is offline   Nelos 

• Master of my domain.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Nelos

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:45 PM

Well until I can get enough money/playing experience to upgrade to an X-7 (or maybe even the A-5, but I'm leaning more towards the X-7 atm), I'll just make the best with what I got. So far I have a 16' Tippmann barrel and M-16 stock. After reading all of the reviews and suggestions, I believe I'll settle for the response trigger and the electric hopper. I'm not very religious about checking batteries, so with my luck an E-T would probably die on me mid-game, and I would like to have a decent hopper that doesn't require me to drill a hole into my gun. Plus being able to use it on another marker in the future would be nice. The zero-kick hammer (for obvious reasons), will also be next on my list, followed by a good pistol. ^_^ Thanks for all the feed back guys, you've really helped to make my choice of upgrades easier to make.

#36 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that, with playing experience, you may realize that you want something besides a Tippmann for your next marker. I currently have an A-5, and I desperately wish I hadn't put so much money into it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my A-5, and it's served me very well. But I've discovered that I would probably have been even happier with an Automag or some other high-end mech, and I probably would have ended up spending a similar amount of money, if not less.

That's just something to keep in mind, from one paintball player to another. In the mean time, enjoy your 98C and, most importantly, go PLAY! :dodgy:
Posted Image

#37 User is offline   Renquist 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

Have to agree. Tippmann's are money pits and you won't see that cash again. A5 and moreso the X7 simply aren't worth the money and have a market thanks to people with little experience and too much cash and the milsim guys. Don't get me wrong, they're durable but so are many other markers that are superior in every facet.

#38 User is offline   Nelos 

• Master of my domain.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Nelos

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:05 AM

Hey guys, I've got another question. Is a regulator for CO2 worth the extra dollars? I've tried to figure out what the pros were of having a regulator, but I'm still a little fuzzy on the issue.

Edit: Eh, nevermind, from what I can tell a regulator is really only needed if I plan to run with an HPA system. Which, tbh, I don't know if I should or not. Especially since players have had troubles getting it to work with the Response Trigger.

This post has been edited by Nelos: 24 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

#39 User is offline   dfencepb 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Andy Freeman

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

View PostNom Carver, on Apr 7 2009, 03:34 PM, said:

I would also recommend that you use the money you would use to buy a Cyclone and all of those upgrades for the Cyclone to buy an electronic hopper, such as a Halo B, a Reloader B, or one of the higher end loaders such as the Rotor, Prophecy or the Pinokio. The reason for this is 1)The Cyclone relies on air to power, so it can make your already gas hog of a gun even more of a gas hog. 2) If you ever upgrade to another gun, you'll be able to take that loader with you, whereas if you have the Cyclone you'll have to buy another loader. 3) The cost of all of the Cyclone upgrades with the Cyclone itself on Actionvillage.com adds up to $150!!! You could get any of the before mentioned hoppers for that much!!! Just saying, with a 98 there's really no reason to get a Cyclone feed for it.

I agree. In all of my experience with a cyclone fee, it chops so many balls. and then you have to open up the gun to get to the internals and clean them out before you can play again.

#40 User is offline   Varex_Sythe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Varex

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:38 PM

Really, your cyclone chops paint? My cyclone upgrade for my 98 custom has never chopped any paint. Maybe you got a lemon?

#41 User is offline   Spaceman Spiff 

• Spaceman Spiff is my hero. Thanks for the avitar Puzuma.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Minister of Destruction

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:10 PM

I use my 98 when I am at my local field (because there are mostly new players there) at other fields I use my Angel. I have tried many different set ups with the 98:

Response trigger vs Electronic trigger - I prefer electronic. The response trigger ate through the hammer assembly repeatedly. The electronic trigger is much easier to use.

Flat line vs Apex - Flat line takes some time to set up properly is picky on paint (smaller paint sizes work better). The flat line adds distance to the paintball by adding backspin. The Apex is not picky on paint. The Apex adds distance by adding back spin as well but can be turned to add curves or drop effects which can be useful in different situations one you get used to it. Also you can turn off the effects of the Apex.

Polishing the internals - This helps with the shot to shot consistency of the marker (mine went from a 20-25 fps spread to a 5-10 fps spread) this greatly increases accuracy and efficiency. Also, by far the cheapest "upgrade" all you need is a can of WD40, a scouring pad, paper towels, and an evening with your marker.

Rocket Cock - Helps keep the internals clean for those crawling situations. And helps conserve some air.

Loaders - If you use the cyclone you can easily switch to a gravity fed hopper should something happen. Just keep your original feed neck handy. All you have to do is pull of the air hose to the cyclone, depress the front site to remove the cyclone and put on the stock feed neck and gravity hopper. I have had to do this once and it only took about 1 minute off the field (didn't even miss a game).

Stock with remote vs On air - This is totally a personal preference I again have done both and prefer the stock with remote line (a slide check is a must so you are not "attached" to your marker).

HPA vs CO2 - CO2 gives you more shots per tank but the faster you shoot the more drop you will see, paint not flying as far. This can be patially solved by getting an expansion chamber, which I would highly suggest if you are going with CO2 (it can also be used with HPA). HPA give much more shot to shot consistency which helps with accuracy, but does not give as many shots per fill. This can be overcome with a larger carbon fiber tank (which is far lighter than a CO2 or steal tank).

Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by Spaceman Spiff: 22 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

#42 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

sort of a necro post here, but i'm bored .... if you are going with an electronic upgrade board, i would not go with a cyclone feed ... to easy to turn into a paint blender, as far as barrels. i would go with a 12" standard barrel, there are several good ones out there on the market .. again, becuase with the APE board and multiple firing, a faltline will bust the paint. i don't know about the apex, but it is a gimmicky barrel at best. and i seriously doubt you will have time to worry about adjustments wen you are in a firefight, or sniping and trying to tune it in, while every missed shot gives away your position

This post has been edited by klaatu: 09 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users