Special Ops Paintball: classic american muscle questions - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

classic american muscle questions Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Tu_Padre 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:West Staines Massive

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:00 AM

I'm taking on a restoration project here shortly, bene saving for a long time. I need a little bit of help here though. I can't decide which car I want...

It's wierd, I know all about restoration, engines, etc, but sadly, I know nothing about makes and models. I don't know what exists, I just know what in general I want, here's some specs that i'm looking for. Can anybody through out a make, model, and year reccomendation please?

At LEAST 300 CID, I would like something around 350 but no biggie. Or something in the high 200's that can be readily converted.

V8 most deffinatley.

Midsize or smaller frame.

Dual exaust

I'd like a fastback, but it doesn't matter.

Late 60's early 70's

I don't care if it's automatic or stick, I can drive both and I don't want to be picky.

I guess i'll say RWD but that's a given.

any help is much appreciated.

Group:banned #16 Feedback: SpecOps +14/-0 MCB: +2/-0

#2 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:09 AM

How much do you have saved?

#3 User is offline   C0N0R 

• whose the guy who horked our clothes eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mad Sabre

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:38 PM

depends on how much you have and where you live (for example its almost impossible to find a 69 dodge charger thanks to dukes of hazard recking most of them in the area), around here its pretty easy to find early 70s and mid 60s mustangs that dont have alot of rust.

if the car you are looking at has been outside for any length of time get a professional mechanic/restorer to go looking with you to look for those sneaky bits of rust that can really BOINK things up for your restoration.

remember to look around first and check EVERYWHERE before buying, there is nothing more frustrating than spending hundreds of dollars to fix that big chunk of rust that you didnt notice earlier instead of buying that nice set of seats or nice wheels or that beautiful chrome intake that will really make your engine compartment shine.

dont forget plenty of before and after pictures and pictures along the way.
SO's own Guitar player/luthier (builder), ask me any questions about guitars or guitar building.
brownie points-15
Gear- Jackson DX10D with OFR, Tremol-no, and concentric pots. Schecter omen 6 with... wait.. wrong forum..
Hope you plan on keeping it, resale on big pickups is dropping faster than your mom's skirt-aqua__scummm

#4 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

Posted Image

70's era chevelle :D

-Tenacious

#5 User is offline   Willow 

• Old Man Willow
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

I would go for a 79 Pontiac Trans Am.

#6 User is offline   Tu_Padre 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:14 PM

Chevelle is one of the ones I was thinking about, but it's hard to find a hard top and I hate soft. Plus they're really sought after like the cudas, very expensive. Plus if I had to get something by chevy it'd be a camaro or nova, i'm not to fond of chevy. More mopar, ford and dodge.

I have 15k saved, but i'm only looking to spend around 3-5k for a fixer upper. I want to build it almost, my uncle build his 66 fastback stang from a body, and he's helping me fix this up.

Conor, I was looking at a charger, but you can't find one for a decent price without rusty floorpans or trunks. The ones that are good are overpriced.

Oh, and i'll deffinatley get pictures, no spoilers on what's going to happen to this, it'll be special. Let's just say I wouldn't be able to afford the gas if I drove one of these without doing what I hope to be doing.

I was looking at like... a 72 nova, you can get those up to 355 from the what, was it like 289 stock, relatively easy. I was also looking at the transam, those are real undervalued, you can pick them up for cheap, but I was kinda hoping for something earlier.

This post has been edited by Tu_Padre: 21 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

#7 User is offline   oerllikon 

• All closed bolt.... Awwww yeeaah
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SIA5 Dagger

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:37 PM

View PostTu_Padre, on Sep 21 2008, 05:14 PM, said:

Chevelle is one of the ones I was thinking about, but it's hard to find a hard top and I hate soft. Plus they're really sought after like the cudas, very expensive. Plus if I had to get something by chevy it'd be a camaro or nova, i'm not to fond of chevy. More mopar, ford and dodge.

I have 15k saved, but i'm only looking to spend around 3-5k for a fixer upper. I want to build it almost, my uncle build his 66 fastback stang from a body, and he's helping me fix this up.

Conor, I was looking at a charger, but you can't find one for a decent price without rusty floorpans or trunks. The ones that are good are overpriced.

Oh, and i'll deffinatley get pictures, no spoilers on what's going to happen to this, it'll be special. Let's just say I wouldn't be able to afford the gas if I drove one of these without doing what I hope to be doing.

I was looking at like... a 72 nova, you can get those up to 355 from the what, was it like 289 stock, relatively easy. I was also looking at the transam, those are real undervalued, you can pick them up for cheap, but I was kinda hoping for something earlier.

im pretty sure the 289 is a ford v8. the 283 is the chevy, if im not mistaken. but yeah, a 350 is about the biggest motor a nova will take. i know how you feel, im mostly a ford person. have you thought about a fairlaine?

#8 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:40 PM

CUDA, Camaro, old Cougar, Chevelle SS, mustang, Studabaker (maybe that one is just me.)

#9 User is offline   Tu_Padre 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

The fairline is nice but there's something about it... looks butt ugly to me. I don't really know why.

I found a charger, looks nice, I may check it out sometime. I was also looking at like... a 77 vette. Kinda random compared to my other options.

Cougar would be nice...

Right now, i'd say the most important thing to me is sound, looks, and a nice 0-60.

And forgive me if this is some type of communism but the original mustangs that aren't a fastback look disgusting... sorry, lol.

#10 User is offline   Small Block 

• Old username= sbcs1085
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:35 PM

View PostTu_Padre, on Sep 21 2008, 08:58 PM, said:

Right now, i'd say the most important thing to me is sound, looks, and a nice 0-60.

All those depend on you and what/how you put it together.

If it were me, I'd look around for a nice old Nova. Either a shoebox Nova or a later model. I like either.

You see too many Chevelles, Camaros,& Mustangs.

Go hit up some swap meets and car shows. There are alot of good cars going for cheap right now.

#11 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:43 PM

77 vettes don't have any resale value. They are a dime a dozen.

How about a torino? I'll be Hutch.

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Sanguinary 

• Joe Bob Johnson
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sanguinary

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:53 PM

It really depends on

a. what you can find.

and/or

b. how much for it.

You won't go wrong with a GTO though.... :rolleyes:
"There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity."
-General Douglas MacArthur (1880 - 1964)

#13 User is offline   EPIC Sword 

• PipPip

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

67 mustang fastback or 70 mach1 the mach1 is nice for me because of the 351 either cleveland or windsor the only difference being small or big block right now i have the cleveland and it is soon to be dropped into the mach1 but yeah the only real limitation you have is how much you are willing to spend
TACO BELLER #4
Group banned: # 7
"he survived fie shots to the face and one to the stomach, give this guy a klondike bar!"~ the eggman

#14 User is offline   Tu_Padre 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:17 PM

I'm thinkin about a torino now.

#15 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

How about a '67 nova? My uncle had one and it was a blast
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users