• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Living Legends 3 recap / final thoughts Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

i was going to do a video for this, but after many takes, and having the video going 15 minutes or so, i did not want to have to make a recap video in 2 parts, so im doing one even better and typing this one out..

Before Living Legends:
last year when i saw all the videos from the folks at TechPb (Mike's recap video, Borgs quake cam vids, kitty's barrel cam vids and other videos she did) when i heard from them that this event was at CPX in Joliet, i said holy crap that place is only 1 hour away from me, i HAVE to go to this event next year..

so i asked all my friends if they wanted to go when LL3 was announced, and when my friends saw the prices.. they said SCREW THAT, that costs way too much..

i was not going to let that keep me from going, i decided im going, with or without them.. so i did..

i looked at my existing gear, realized that i would need a few more things, like a 2nd gear bag which i got from action village, i wanted to get a helmet camera, so i got a Tachyon XC helmet camera, after getting that the goggle mount with the camera did not fit all that great on my proto mask, so i went ahead and got the same mask my friend has (a jt elite) because when i found that the goggle strap mount fits perfect with that mask, so i went back to action village and got a new mask, and lens, i also picked up a straight shot squeegee and a barrel swab, few weeks before Living legends (around the time when extreme stitchworks came out with stock class goods) i made a custom order for a zipper pouch, with a ID stitched on the front, and a platform on the inside of the pouch with the elastic straps to hold 12 gram co2 cartridges for my tpx pistol, so i could use it for a extended period of time if i wanted too on the field, and i asked if Moati could bring it out here with him so i would save a few bucks on shipping.. and he did, so big thanks for that dude!

Week of living legends: i was starting to pull all my gear together, getting things i would need for staying out at the field for the weekend, ranging from food, borrowing some things from friends, getting all the coolers cleaned out, and just in general organizing things so when it was time to load up the van, it was all in one area, and all i would have to do is move the stuff from one location, into the van.. and for not really going off a check list, the only thing i managed to leave at home was a spray bottle, pair of gloves, and gold bond :rolleyes:

Friday, day 1 of living legends: I planned to leave my house around 7 A.M. i actually left around 6:45 AM cause i had to go buy Ice, and a few packs of cigarettes, get the ice in the coolers, then go back home to say good bye to my family, cause most of them were still sleeping when i left to get stuff from the gas station. The commute to living legends, i ended up hitting construction on the high way, so it held me up a bit, but once i was out of the construction zones, it was open highway. When I arrived Friday morning, there had to be around 150-200 people already there. A few teams were already there and set up, so I started to do simple things like use the bathroom, and start getting things out and assembled (my marker basically) then US_Army_Guy shows up.. so we walked around the vendors area for a bit, and for this being my first actual weekend scenario game, to see all these vendors from all over be there was just amazing! we went over to the Pinokio booth, and found out they are coming out with an a5 hopper! Army Guy was able to play with it for a bit at the event, but il let him fill in details about that if he would like..

When registration opened around 1pm, i was actually in line at about 12:35, so i was the 2nd person in line, and some people need to learn how to read, cause they had the lines split up by last names and a bunch of people kept coming in line asking if this was the right one.. so next year, they should have bigger signs that are 3rd grade proof. Now keep in mind, this is my first scenario, i had no idea what to expect in the player packet, other than the rules and a map of the field, i had no idea i needed 1 paint ticket for each case, and later found out that i only had 1 paint ticket for the 3 cases i pre ordered, so i asked viper real quick about it and he said that is something i need to take care of with CPX, so i mill around for a bit cause the lines are just ridiculously long.. but when i saw the line died down i jumped in, and spoke with the lady that handed me my packet, and when i told her the situation, she said it was my responsibility to make sure everything was there... but when i told her how the hell am i suppose to know i needed one ticket for each case? she went and got the general manager and the manager gave me two extra tickets.. so i went from being ready to punch through the wall to all happy again.

Saturday, the start: I walk into the staging area around 8 A.M. and hung around with the delta guys for a bit, but when i saw Maj Tom or Tenacious (i canít remember which one of them was there first but im sure it was Maj Tom) i went over and hung out with him, and then MOATI and the rest of the extreme stitchworks screw showed up, so we staged with them for the rest of the event, they had their canopy tent, which was awesome to be able to sit under when the sun is directly above you, so i got 2 cases of paint right away the first day, my original plan was to no shoot anymore then a case and a half a day. During the opening ceremony, i decided i should go get my Gatorade cooler that is filled with ice and water, so i grabbed a cart from the camping area and quickly ran out to the van and took it into the staging area, and told everyone in our staging area to feel free to get a drink of water if you want..

So the game begins, we started off at our hospital, went into the woods, where i found a parking ticket (a prop) and ran back and gave it to Shields from Delta, and continued towards the action, i ended up losing Maj Tom and Tenacious, i guess when youíre the person up front you should look back once in a while and see if the people you intended on playing with are there.. for the entire time of it being a large stale mate pretty much right in the center of the field, it was fun.. got to see tanks out there, players with rocket launchers for the first time, was just another great mix for the madness, one thing i noticed was teams were mainly communicating with their own teams, so if we needed one side to push up we had to yell across the field and hope they heard us..

I played for around 1 hour and 30 minutes, when i realized i was starting to feel de hydrated, so i walked off and sat in the staging area pretty much the rest of the day, i did play final battle, and with the game being centered around the slap sticks, we decided to run light, hoppers only and go kamikaze on their asses, and that ended up being my biggest fail for the day, cause i got shot in the right leg before i could event get near the hill and it was all over for me, but B Dazle (my new hero by the way) got his large ass up on that hill and got the slap stick for our team! Over all dinner battle was pretty awesome, considering i was side lined for 28 minutes out the 30 minutes of play :P

Saturday night:
holy jeebus, i did not thing i was gonna be able to watch the Hawks game, but Techpb had a TV set up outside their trailer and holy hell, it was awesome to see the hawks win while at LL3! techpb also had a little beer pong thing going on.. HELL YEA! (i didnt play but it was just awesome that they did that) I actually hit the sack early that night though, cause sunday morning was a early start, and it was kinda hard trying to get some sleep when there are other people out there having bon fires, drinking, being loud and what not, and there was a semi truck by me the whole night idling.. so did not sleep as well as i had hoped for Saturday night, ear plugs are for sure on the list for next year..

Sunday Morning: woke up earlier then i expected, did not sleep as much as i wanted to either, but i got all my stuff together, swapped out the Fusion X for the ultralites on Sunday, refilled the Gatorade cooler with water from a 5 gallon water can i borrowed from a friend, tossed in the last bag of ice i had, went and got a dolly to haul all my crap (a gear bag, case of paint, marker, BIG Gatorade cooler full of water and ice (no way in hell i was walking from the rear of the parking lot to staging with that) i get back to staging area and get all the crap off the dolly cart, and returned it back to the camping area.

GAME TIME! Since this was the last day of the event, i decided to go ahead and use my last paint ticket to go and get my last case before i would forget that i even had one, went back to staging, made sure all my pods were filled, and got my 90/45 filled. I was a little late getting to the chrono, and getting out there for the start of the day, but we all jumped on the first bus out to to our drop off after the game had started, and go figure, Greg "Red" Hastings is on the same bus we are, talking about his new little gun mounted HD camera, and saying how even a 3rd grader can use it. So we get out to the drop off, me, Red, and Deuce from Blues Crew are walking the wrong way, B Dazle and Tenacious are yelling at us to "turn around, our insertion is this way" so we turn around and get to where we need to be, and waited a few minutes to insert and we started to head towards Armageddon/Bedlam area, we find a trail off of Bedlam that took us around over to Jungle of Doom area, where we ran into Foote from Delta, and pretty much asked him "what are we doing!?" He told us all the action was over in a certain direction and that were trying to push them off the woods and into the speedball field, so without question we started to move up in the woods area, i look around and then look at MOATI and tell him, "there is absolutely no cover out here, if they advance, were screwed" and Iím pretty sure he agreed on that. The whole time i was in the woods i did not see a single red arm band player, but i sure as heck knew i was being shot at by them, so i moved back a bit and warned the other players red guys are up ahead and pretty well concealed, so not being able to see the other team that was right in front of me, i was at least determined to hold my ground. But then I saw red armbands galore through the trees and in the speedball "Spool" field right next to us, and i thought they were flanking us, so i told everyone RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT!! and opened up, now my helmet camera never adjusted so you canít really see what i was shooting at, but i definitely got a few players out there, and with players being able to sit still and call for medics, it could have been more, and this whole time while shooting at players on the spool field, Iím getting shot at by the people infront of me, so i move back a little bit, cause Iím not going to waste my time and shoot at what i canít see, and continued to shoot at players on the spool field, well, remember when i said there was no cover? yea.. i got hit due to lack of trees / bunkers..

So i get back to staging, all ticked off how we were getting pounded, i go off to first call paintball and buy a bunch of smoke grenades, and paint grenades, and when one of the guys from delta said i should go double check if i can use the smoke grenades, viper pointed out they were expired, so i got even more frustrated cause i spent $30 on 2 smoke grenades i cant use.. but i wanted to use that frustration against the other team, at that point i didnít care about the missions, i wanted to get back out there and start a pounding on them like how they pounded us out there earlier in the morning

so i get back to our staging area, reload pods, refill tank, and just sat down drinking water and eating pretzels waiting for more players to come back, i was maybe sitting around for a half hour and me and Maj Tom went back out, we missed the bus and decided to walk all the way to our insertion, walked through our base, and once we got back into the woods, and just as we get to the ravine area, i notice a red players (it was their helicopter) im like, what the hell is this, and im debating if i shoot them or not, but a few of our players to my left which i did not know they were there, started shooting at them, and after a quick argument, the red players realized they were out and even shook the hands of the players that got them. So Iím standing around thinking.. there could be more of them, so we set up along the ridge for a bit, and when we heard that monster train coming, i looked at Maj Tom and said if someone is down there, this is when they are going to move! so we got down and kept our eyes open, but nothing... so we decided to start moving up field and take care of business, well, we get on the road, and the hellions tank is straight ahead of us shooting down the road at us, so we dip into the woods on the other side of the road and start slowly moving up to try and get behind the tank to throw grenades at it (and from what i heard a direct grenade hit will disabled a tank for 5 minutes) well we went too far in the woods, and the tank was moving down road, so we start running down the road chasing the tank, and before i could get close enough, a group took it out with a rocket, so i had to turn around and walk BACK towards the spool field..

I get to the spool field where paint is flying everywhere, i start working my way up to this huge pipe thing, which was a perfect size bunker for me, and starting slinging paint towards red players, i must have been hit 15-20 times but they all bounced, and finally when im starting to think im some sort of paint bounce magnet, i take a direct hit on my marker, so i sat down and started calling for a medic, and maybe sat 30 seconds till Doc came sliding into me getting me back in the game, that guy saved my ass quite a few times out there, and im glad we had him on our side. So im back in the action, and decide to get closer to the road so i move over to another large pipe like bunker and start lobbing grenades and slinging more paint, i dont specifically remember eliminating anyone, with the paint bouncing like crazy and medics being out there, this seemed to have been one of thoughts games where i died more then i killed.. i eventually took a hit that made me realize i should go sit out for a bit and reload, time seem to have flown by real quick out there, cause i had been out there for almost 2 hours, and it felt like maybe 1 hour! so i get back and start chatting with everyone, we deiced to sit the rest out and wait for final battle

Final Battle: MOATI had purchased a case of grenades, and handed out a few to all of us, so we can lob them over the hill, we get to the final battle orientation, and all i can say is.. DAMN, this is alot of people.. we all stand there, listen to viper explain pretty much the same thing from dinner battle the day before, after that we started walking towards bedlam.

all i can say about final battle is... DAMN..

by far one of the most intense games i have ever been in, the volume of the amount of markers being shot at the same time made a once quiet field, into a freaking war zone! the amount of smoke grenades being tossed over the hill, and players going on a suicide mission to hit the slap sticks was CRAZY! after seeing how many times people got hit going for the slap sticks, i will never EVER complain about being over shot ever again.. The amount of hits these players took in that single hour was more than any average recreational player would take in a single day of play, if not more.

After final battle, we were all tired, and exhausted. we go back to staging and take off our vests, pod packs, jerseys, and just wanted to sit back on recap on how bad ass the final battle was, but then we heard some sort of commotion going on few tents over, and we go to check it out, and this player they were trying to help sit down had one of the worse cases of heat exhaustion i have ever seen, me and MOATI were trying to get people to move back so he was able to get some air, and some of our guys bought over my Gatorade cooler and opened the top so we could get rags in there to put on him, when i asked refs if 911 was called i every answer but "yes", when i heard answers like "I hope so" and "i dont know" i started to have less faith in the staff, but turns out one of the team mates did call 911 and the rescue was on its way, so i went to the front and stood there and waiting almost 15 minutes, after not hearing a siren, or seeing any other cpx staff around, im wondering what the hell.. i go back to grab a bottle of water cause i was starting feel a dehydrated, and when i come back out of our area i see the ambulance pulled up already by where the player was. And im just thinking.. WHY THE HELL is there not even a first aid tent or a ambulance on standby here.. hopefully next year there is a first aid ten with trained staff, and thank god players there who were EMT's or worked in the medical field were there at the event, cause if this event had nothing but office jockeys who knows what could have happened if something else bad happened to a player.. Hopefully this is something that will change next year.

Overall, i had a awesome time, after hearing that we lost at the ending ceremony, i did not really care, i still had a good time! i got my picture taken with several people, met new people, made new friends, and this is what the game is really about. Being at living legends was my first scenario, and was the most fun i have ever had in paintball and im looking forward to going to more games this year and meeting more people!

other stuff:
MY LIVING LEGENDS PICTURES

MY LIVING LEGENDS HELMET CAMERA VIDS

Thank you for reading, and feel free to post up your own experiences you had at living legends!

This post has been edited by Thumper113: 21 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#2 User is offline   Mike Phillips 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:15 AM

did you ever happen to be down in the woods when a train would come by?

Dood, the first time that happened to me, it scared the HELL out of me. On Saturday, I think it was my third insertion, I was down about 50 feet from the railroad tracks when a HUGE train came by, it practically stopped my heart. I could this super loud noise come rushing up through the woods, and at first I was like "Whoa, that is a seriously loud tank!" and then this massive train just sped past me and I don't know why, it scared the hell out of me. It was like a sound overload hahahaha

Great writeup, I took the wife to Gino's East on Friday night. I've been craving that pizza since I had it last year (Kevin / Faux12 hooked it up!)

I tell ya, I REALLY liked the NPPL being at the same event. I loved seeing players in full-on scenario gear, walking around the NPPL event and shopping and checking out all the gear. I was in the Dye tent one time and I started getting chatter coming over the radio, imagine that hahahaha

Great write up!
Yes, I already know that profanity is not allowed on this forum

#3 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

oh yea, i heard that train very well on Sunday

I just finished adding in all the Sunday stuff

thanks for reading :dodgy:
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#4 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

Great job Thump. Sounds awesome. I am putting my foot down right here, right now. I WILL be there next year.

#5 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

View Post5N1P3R, on Jun 21 2010, 05:31 PM, said:

Great job Thump. Sounds awesome. I am putting my foot down right here, right now. I WILL be there next year.

You could camp with us in MOATIville! :P

we were thinking many canopy tents in a center area with sleeping tents surrounding it. Someone's already working on a sign and I think we're gonna run Old Glory and maybe some extreme stitchwork colors up a flag pole :dodgy:

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot...Thump claims he's bringing a shower...we'll see how that works out LOL :)

-Tenacious

#6 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

I'll try to go next year. It's this or DDAy, and this seems a bit more fun.
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#7 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:31 PM

View PostTenacious221, on Jun 21 2010, 06:09 PM, said:

View Post5N1P3R, on Jun 21 2010, 05:31 PM, said:

You could camp with us in MOATIville! :)

we were thinking many canopy tents in a center area with sleeping tents surrounding it. Someone's already working on a sign and I think we're gonna run Old Glory and maybe some extreme stitchwork colors up a flag pole ;)

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot...Thump claims he's bringing a shower...we'll see how that works out LOL :)

-Tenacious

Ah can't waaiiittt :comp:

#8 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:17 AM

Living Legends... was just... amazing.. for it being my first weekend scenario... holy jeebus.. i would love to hit up castle conquest in the fall, but with the other local games im going to... might not happen.. there is always next year.. might have to get a 2nd job to pay for all these expenses.. =D
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#9 User is offline   lili 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:lili

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

I am putting my foot down right here, right now. I WILL be there next year.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users