• You cannot reply to this topic

Urban sniper... Can you really be an "Urban Sniper?" Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Cobrakai 

• Very sneaky snake!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:NTEGRITY

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

I My friend says this is an "oxymoron." I told him he was an idiot, what do you guys think? Also, I heard some military squads were eliminating the sniper position entirely and replacing it with a DMR class. This class would use rifles such as the M14, SR-25, etc.
"God will judge my enemies, and I'll arrange the meetings."

#2 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:12 AM

urban areas is the best place for a sniper

urban sniper = short to medium range sniper rifle work
designated marksman = medium to long range assalt rifle work

sounds pretty redundent to me
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#3 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

either way it takes a well trained marksman.... You could call it the "bob" position for all I care, if you're there to make medium to long range skilled shots...

#4 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:18 AM

Stalingrad. That's where it was perfected and a proven strategy.

#5 User is offline   RowanPaintball 

• Stocker
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JC

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:12 AM

Dont worry, the military isnt giving up any snipers. They dont assign snipers to every squade, when a regular unit is fortunate to have its own designated snipers they are typicaly asigned to a platoon or larger type group. What they are doing is adding designated marksmen who are better equipped and trained for more precise shooting at medium ranges. That way they can afford to place them in most of the infantry squades incresing the individual squads capabilities in the urban enviornment. The designated marksmen does not set-up a hide, or vantage point, they move with and work with the squade, just like they would as a regular soldier in that squade, what they do bring to the table is a more precise shot placement capability.
Pround co-founder and member of Full Plastic Jacket

#6 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:37 AM

So if they exist in real combat, do they exist in paintball?

I mean...Are there fields with extensive urban environments?

This post has been edited by I.K.E.: 30 December 2010 - 08:39 AM

"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#7 User is offline   Cobrakai 

• Very sneaky snake!
  • PipPip

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

View PostDown Range Pain, on 30 December 2010 - 05:12 AM, said:

urban areas is the best place for a sniper

urban sniper = short to medium range sniper rifle work
designated marksman = medium to long range assalt rifle work

sounds pretty redundent to me

Well urban snipers wouldn't be limited to medium range, there are sniper rifles that can shoot up to 2+ miles. Who's to say these can't be used to drop targets at long ranges in urban areas?

View PostRowanPaintball, on 30 December 2010 - 09:12 AM, said:

Dont worry, the military isnt giving up any snipers. They dont assign snipers to every squade, when a regular unit is fortunate to have its own designated snipers they are typicaly asigned to a platoon or larger type group. What they are doing is adding designated marksmen who are better equipped and trained for more precise shooting at medium ranges. That way they can afford to place them in most of the infantry squades incresing the individual squads capabilities in the urban enviornment. The designated marksmen does not set-up a hide, or vantage point, they move with and work with the squade, just like they would as a regular soldier in that squade, what they do bring to the table is a more precise shot placement capability.

Well that's much smarter, considering that's something infantry squads are lacking.

#8 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

View PostCobrakai, on 30 December 2010 - 01:25 AM, said:

I My friend says this is an "oxymoron." I told him he was an idiot, what do you guys think? Also, I heard some military squads were eliminating the sniper position entirely and replacing it with a DMR class. This class would use rifles such as the M14, SR-25, etc.

Depends on your friends understanding of urban and sniper. I would guess his issue is with sniper. Lots of misconceptions with regards to snipers, number one being that sniping is only done at long distances...distance is an element of stealth, or of avoiding detection and/or direct combat. Sniping is a form of guerrilla warfare. Have your friend read up on that, then he might change his mind on sniping.

LE prefers to call their snipers Sharpshooters or Marksmen, because sniper has developed certain negative connotations. Designated marksmen in the military serve a different function than field snipers, and mostly in urban environments.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Cobrakai 

• Very sneaky snake!
  • PipPip

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

View PostWarpaint, on 31 December 2010 - 12:05 AM, said:

View PostCobrakai, on 30 December 2010 - 01:25 AM, said:

Depends on your friends understanding of urban and sniper. I would guess his issue is with sniper. Lots of misconceptions with regards to snipers, number one being that sniping is only done at long distances...distance is an element of stealth, or of avoiding detection and/or direct combat. Sniping is a form of guerrilla warfare. Have your friend read up on that, then he might change his mind on sniping.

LE prefers to call their snipers Sharpshooters or Marksmen, because sniper has developed certain negative connotations. Designated marksmen in the military serve a different function than field snipers, and mostly in urban environments.

Good points, however, it definitely depends on who you talk to about the conception of a "Sniper." If you were to talk to a 13 year old halo junkie he would love the term "Sniper", while a Vietnam war vet may not. ;)

#10 User is offline   GUNFU 

• EL Gunfu
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:I_KNW_GUNFU

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:49 AM

Mostly todays snipers are stuck in the urban environments. But they are trained to adapt. Its an ideal location because you are not really in the elements compared to some snipers in the bush. They have an advantage also that they don't need to have a ghillie suit and hide in the shadowy corners of buildings and usually have good vantage points. But that also means that enemy snipers are also looking for them in those exact spots.

Of my experience allot of urban snipers prefer .50 cal rifles because they can shoot through walls and disable vehicles usually carrying IEDs. But also very very effective against enemy personnel. Instances of enemies being cut in half at over 1.5 miles have been recorded in urban environments.

But the sniper term has been warped by todays media like halo. I had a kid, at one of the fields I play, get a T9.1 like mine with all the bells and whistle and was mad that he couldn't "snipe" anybody like in halo. Most of the time he was running and gunning go figure. It takes allot of patience and practice. When I was stationed in WA I used to play with a retired Army sniper and always hatted playing against him because he would pull out his ghillie and make us look like fools. I would end up shooting bushes just because. :P

But if you ever look at a true sniper it's usually him and a spotter behind enemy lines picking off certain targets and then retreating. Really no glory but they serve as a scalpel and as a demoralizer against enemy troops. Trust me seeing a bad guy cut in half will scare the crap out of you even if you're on the good guy side.

This post has been edited by GUNFU: 06 January 2011 - 12:50 AM

If you see my shadow it's already too late.

#11 User is offline   Cobrakai 

• Very sneaky snake!
  • PipPip

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

View PostGUNFU, on 06 January 2011 - 02:49 AM, said:

Mostly todays snipers are stuck in the urban environments. But they are trained to adapt. Its an ideal location because you are not really in the elements compared to some snipers in the bush. They have an advantage also that they don't need to have a ghillie suit and hide in the shadowy corners of buildings and usually have good vantage points. But that also means that enemy snipers are also looking for them in those exact spots.

Of my experience allot of urban snipers prefer .50 cal rifles because they can shoot through walls and disable vehicles usually carrying IEDs. But also very very effective against enemy personnel. Instances of enemies being cut in half at over 1.5 miles have been recorded in urban environments.

But the sniper term has been warped by todays media like halo. I had a kid, at one of the fields I play, get a T9.1 like mine with all the bells and whistle and was mad that he couldn't "snipe" anybody like in halo. Most of the time he was running and gunning go figure. It takes allot of patience and practice. When I was stationed in WA I used to play with a retired Army sniper and always hatted playing against him because he would pull out his ghillie and make us look like fools. I would end up shooting bushes just because. :P

But if you ever look at a true sniper it's usually him and a spotter behind enemy lines picking off certain targets and then retreating. Really no glory but they serve as a scalpel and as a demoralizer against enemy troops. Trust me seeing a bad guy cut in half will scare the crap out of you even if you're on the good guy side.

Haha Like OMGawd No scope dewd! :P

#12 User is offline   GUNFU 

• EL Gunfu
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:I_KNW_GUNFU

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:02 AM

Lol exactly my point!
If you see my shadow it's already too late.

#13 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

A sniper is a sniper, it doesn't matter where he's sniping.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   edtoro 

• Street Ghost Urban Camo User.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackOpsDrake

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

I think I can contribute something to this subject and maybe shed some light.

What the Army refers to as the DMR(Actually an acronym for Designated Marksman Rifle, but will be used as designated Marksman in the thread) is a hybrid of the marksman sniper and the regular rifleman. In the game Americas Army 3 (developed in close cooperation with the U.S. Army) the Sniper Role Has been phazed out completely from the previous installment on Americans Army 2. This move was mostly done because Snipers operate under specific conditions (pre-deployed fire stations, extreme-long range positions, specific equipment, etc.). Some people actually think that snipers, as portrayed in games like Call of Duty 4- Black Ops, are the actual way some snipers deploy. That is not, and has never been the case. Weapons like the M-24, M-82, M-107, Intervention, Mosin-Nagant M28, Dragunov SVD, WA-2000, just to name a few, are weapons designed specifically for, and should never be used in conditions outside of a mid-long range engagement. Engaging a target in close proximity with a sniper rifle is not only risky, but also less efficient. That is why all the real war stories that are about SF Snipers that deployed with .50 caliber rifles on battlefields usually include WATER TOWERS, 5+ STORY ROOFS, and 1 MILE AWAY FROM OP-ZONE. There is no such thing as a Sniper with a .50 cal sniping ultra-nationalists 10 meters away.

The Squad Designated Marksman, however, will bridge the gap. In general Urban Environments, deep inside cities, where the only vantage point on an op zone is on a 4 story parking complex about 50 meters from the operational zone, there is no room for a sniper. If he were deployed, his position would be compromised in a matter of minutes (exactlly what happens with Insurgent snipers, now that I think about it). The DMR will be the first "sniper" capable of efficiently engaging targets at 5+ meters out from his position, he will also be capable of engaging targets that other riflemen could otherwise not effectively engage. All this is accomplished thanks to teh DMR's equipment. AA3 as a game, deploys DMR's with a longer barreled variant of the M16 with a special 4x scope made by Acog (not the same one used on M4A1's by SOCOM). What we basically have with this gun is a light version of a proven assault rifle with a longer range, slightly more powerful, and much more accurate, with little to no cost on weight or maneuverability. It's also more convenient, since it runs the same ammo as other assault rifles and is easily repairable. I have heard of DMR's deploying with the Mk. 12 SPR and Mk. 14 EBR considering its the same concept though I have no evidence that would suggest it.

Hope the post shed some light.

This post has been edited by edtoro: 11 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

Posted Image

Official Saber Recognition Group:#796
Furthermore - if you are "deuce-ing" during a game, you have more things to worry about than camo kneepads. - ger
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

#15 User is offline   jiu-jitsu fighter 

• Would you rather me barrel tag you or choke you unconscious
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jiu-Jitsu Fighter

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:17 AM

In regards to paintball and an urban type enviroment. It really depends on the layout of the field and how you consider a sniper paintball role. In fact it is easier in an urban enviroment due to the buildings providing concealment.

For instance the local field has 2 two story buildings. Alot of times you will hear a shot and see someones head and hear a little kid go sniper. There is one building where I go when I want to try to play the sniper position where I can see all the way to the back of the field, big open middle section. There are a couple of blind spots, but I have a trick I will get into later for that.

The building I hide in has stairs to lead up to the second story. Under those stairs is some extra netting laying on the floor. That spot faces the front entry way. Off the break I hit that building from the side. Wait to see if the front or back is getting hit the hardest and make my way in. I hit the corner closest to the stairs where I easy back and get under the net. I position it on top of my head to where it doesnt block my mask and wrap it around part of my gun to provide some type of camoflague. The last time I played I shot the last 5 people to win the game. Only thing they knew was I was in that building.

I got stuck playing against a friend of mine who knew that spot. So I shot a couple of guys exited out the back then positioned myself in the woods behind the back door to the building. about 2 mins later as my patience was wearing thin my friend eased around the building made his way towards the back door. As he entered I snuck in behind him, barreled tagged him. He yelled out and I know his teammates heard him so i eased out setup another spot in another building. Shot 2 guys made my way out then got shot in the back as I went past a building without checking the inside.

I think it is easier than actually sniping in the woods. Unless, you have a big area to move around in.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.

My feedback

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users