• This topic is locked

Code Name: Steel Rain a WMD for paintball

#16 User is offline   SP3TSN47 

• Utility Rifleman
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SP3TSN47

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

yes but they travel at a higher speed and are still aimed at people... i bet if the i dea would have come on here first all you people would flag the crap outta that idea

#17 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:49 PM

I've been hit with a water ballon launched from a third story of a hotel with a water ballon launcher, and it hit me in the head and knocked me out. If I ever see someone launching water balloons at people during a game, I am going to promptly give them a piece of my mind.

#18 User is offline   Ruckus Fox 

• Cutie! ^-^
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ruckus Fox

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

A good effort at an idea...but this is just a fancy way of saying "Okay...so you can't blind fire...we'll just throw something in the air that strikes people from seemingly no where at all." Frankly, I don't think anyone would pay to go to a scenario just to get out by someone who wanted to make a large cannon for their grenades.

--Ruckus

#19 User is offline   Nemidaelius 

• Self-described 'sniper'
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:47 PM

Knightwolf, that approach would work... If we didn't have an atmosphere.

That equation only applies where the object is in true free-fall... Only one force acting on the object, gravity. Here, we're going to have wind resistance, so we get a terminal velocity, meaning that as the object falls faster and faster, the force of drag will increase until it equals the force of gravity, and the object will then stop accelerating and fall at a constant velocity, except where changes in its shape, air temperature, and other disturbances may temporarily alter the balance of gravity versus drag. These would not, of course, be significant in the application we are talking about.

Bottom line: If you want to find out the terminal velocity of one of those bladders, you're either going to have to catch one coming down with a radar gun or do some REALLY, REALLY complex calculus. This is exactly the type of thing ENIAC was invented for in WWII, calculating trajectories for artillery shells, and there is a reason they went to the trouble of building a computer for it. It's HARD.
proud aspie
IPB Image

#20 User is offline   F-Bomber 

• I can fix anything but your stupidity.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:F-Bomber

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:50 PM

:idea:F-Bombs with precisely engineered parachutes? (I agree. No one will want to play in a game with this, but it is still fun to tinker :dodgy:
Don't make fun of my marker! It works better than yours, and I won't have to get a second job to buy a new one if it breaks.

Put this in your sig if you spent $2000 fireproofing a closet for your gear so you can just get out the house in a fire.

#21 User is offline   Sparky101 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Techno411

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

View PostNemidaelius, on Jul 16 2007, 09:47 PM, said:

That equation only applies where the object is in true free-fall... Only one force acting on the object, gravity. Here, we're going to have wind resistance, so we get a terminal velocity, meaning that as the object falls faster and faster, the force of drag will increase until it equals the force of gravity, and the object will then stop accelerating and fall at a constant velocity, except where changes in its shape, air temperature, and other disturbances may temporarily alter the balance of gravity versus drag. These would not, of course, be significant in the application we are talking about.

Bottom line: If you want to find out the terminal velocity of one of those bladders, you're either going to have to catch one coming down with a radar gun or do some REALLY, REALLY complex calculus. This is exactly the type of thing ENIAC was invented for in WWII, calculating trajectories for artillery shells, and there is a reason they went to the trouble of building a computer for it. It's HARD.

Here's an idea why dont you crunch the numbers first:

Equation 1: Vf=V1 +2at and Equation 2:d=V1(t) +.5at^2

V1=Initial velocity...............V1=0 (If you start at the top of the arc then the velocity is zero)
a=acceleration....................a=9.81 (this is a constant if you have a problem with this talk to Sir Isaac Newton)
t=time................................t= I dont know so I will use the 2nd equation to find it-------> Aprox. 3.52sec Up and 3.52 Down
d=distance.........................d=60.96 m
Vf=final velocity.................Vf= Now this is what we really want to know.........69.167meters/sec

That means that no matter what this thing will not move faster than 226.92585 Feet per second.

So there is no way that if what you are "raining" down is paintballs that this contraption will hurt you more than a standard paintball.

*Note: Keep in mind what Nemidaelius said, this is not an exact number... the actual number might be considerably less. I say your biggest problem in this case would not be how fast things are coming down but, how do you shoot something 200ft in the air and get it to hit your target? :laugh:

This post has been edited by Sparky101: 17 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

#22 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

We aren't talking about paintballs being the problem, its the weight of a grenade going 200fps...

#23 User is offline   SP3TSN47 

• Utility Rifleman
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SP3TSN47

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

whenever you launch something up into the air it tends to slow down soo.. if it is shot at 200fps its not going to maintain the same speed and plus you have to understand there are trees if not buildings (i play at www.battlefrontpaintball.com) in the path of the falling grenade.

#24 User is offline   SOLIDUS SNAKE 

• dislikes his own avvy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CORPORATE ASSASIN

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

ummmm... yeah... right (love office space :( )

not very practical
RAP 4, We Make All Those Terrible Products Nobody Asked For - C-3
My feedback

#25 User is offline   G36C 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:G36C

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

cool idea, bunkers would be useless no more camping for newer players
A5 I Opsgear SAW Shroud I Opsgear SAW Drum Mag I Opsgear SAW Stock I Opsgear 16" M4 Barrel I APE v2.0 Egrip I Techted Cyclone I Polished Internals I X7 Hopper I Tasco 30mm Red Dot I Palmers A5 Stabilizer I Tiberius Arms Fore Grip I

#26 User is offline   Sparky101 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:12 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on Jul 17 2007, 12:39 PM, said:

We aren't talking about paintballs being the problem, its the weight of a grenade going 200fps...

I was using paintballs as a easier mode of comparison. If you are that worried about the force (force=mass*acceleration/surface area) but I will leave that one for you.

Lets just say for argument's sake that the grenade has too great a force a 200ft, then you have two options. One shoot somthing smaller (Paintballs) or have the gun shoot to a lower altitude (150ft). Im just trying to solve problems :angry:

Work and it will change the game of paintball as we know it.

#27 User is offline   empiregeneral 

• PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EmpireGeneral

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:32 PM

Why not use the same basic principle that Scepter used for their mortars? Use a cardboard sabot carrying several grenades and the sabot merely falls away in flight and the grenades continue to fly. Using something as unpredictable as paint filled bladders would require a LOT of testing to get a (somewhat) accurate firing table as there would be too many factors to accurately figure a true flightpath. Different ways you could change the trajectory is to 1) change the angle of the mortar tube (never less than 45* since this is a indirect fire device) and 2) an adjustable regulator allowing you to set different pressures for firing.

#28 User is offline   Ruckus Fox 

• Cutie! ^-^
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ruckus Fox

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

View PostSparky101, on Jul 17 2007, 12:12 PM, said:

V1=Initial velocity...............V1=0 (If you start at the top of the arc then the velocity is zero)
a=acceleration....................a=9.81 (this is a constant if you have a problem with this talk to Sir Isaac Newton)
t=time................................t= I dont know so I will use the 2nd equation to find it-------> Aprox. 3.52sec Up and 3.52 Down
Vf=final velocity.................Vf= Now this is what we really want to know.........69.167meters/sec

That means that no matter what this thing will not move faster than 226.92585 Feet per second.

So there is no way that if what you are "raining" down is paintballs that this contraption will hurt you more than a standard paintball.

*Note: Keep in mind what Nemidaelius said, this is not an exact number... the actual number might be considerably less. I say your biggest problem in this case would not be how fast things are coming down but, how do you shoot something 200ft in the air and get it to hit your target? :D

Your calculations aren't fool proof, mind you. You can't instantly assume that the acceleration of the being (grenade) will be 9.8. By doing so you are taking out factors of wind, temperature, and CO2 or HPA emissions. Nothing can be for certain, really. Just like you can't tell me that my next shot will be 260FPS. It might be 261. There are different variables that take into affect. A gust of wind might slow down the acceleration. Even so...your calculations are assuming that something is dead weight in a vacuum. A launched projectile does not simply "Fall" out of the sky. It follows a trajectory...slowly losing speed due to other variables along the way. Not trying to say you are a bad mathematician...but mathematics can't solve the reason why alone. You need to apply some physics and some logical mood on angles. Ah...but that's all Trigonometry and Calculus. Neither of which are my strong suit.

--Ruckus

#29 User is offline   Sparky101 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:35 PM

View PostRuckus Fox, on Jul 17 2007, 08:39 PM, said:

View PostSparky101, on Jul 17 2007, 12:12 PM, said:

*Note: Keep in mind what Nemidaelius said, this is not an exact number... the actual number might be considerably less. I say your biggest problem in this case would not be how fast things are coming down but, how do you shoot something 200ft in the air and get it to hit your target? :P

Your calculations aren't fool proof, mind you. You can't instantly assume that the acceleration of the being (grenade) will be 9.8. By doing so you are taking out factors of wind, temperature, and CO2 or HPA emissions. Nothing can be for certain, really. Just like you can't tell me that my next shot will be 260FPS. It might be 261. There are different variables that take into affect. A gust of wind might slow down the acceleration. Even so...your calculations are assuming that something is dead weight in a vacuum. A launched projectile does not simply "Fall" out of the sky. It follows a trajectory...slowly losing speed due to other variables along the way. Not trying to say you are a bad mathematician...but mathematics can't solve the reason why alone. You need to apply some physics and some logical mood on angles. Ah...but that's all Trigonometry and Calculus. Neither of which are my strong suit.

--Ruckus

OK this is not complicated, I did not tell you where it would land or how many times it turned over and over before it hit or did not hit the target. All I said was at the maximum a paint grenade falling from 200ft would travel at a maximum speed of 227 feet per second (give or take 10 feet per second if it makes you feel better). This is basic physics, if you want a tolerance you need test and some knowledge of statistics. If you are concerned with the of air pressure or the temperature or any of this you are giving air way to much credit, with a fall time of 3 seconds the percentage of velocity change is so small(no more than 5%) that it is not even worth looking into, in fact any large differences to the velocity is most likely human error (We are not perfect). I have both Trigonometry and Calculus under my belt and I am telling you, you are making this way more complicated than it should be.

As for gravity it accelerates everything at 9.81 meters per second per second. No mater how much you dont want it to, if you step on a scale and you weigh 130 pounds and you step of and back on you will still weigh a 130 pounds (Thanks to gravity trying to accelerate your body at the same rate).

If you are not sure about something phrase it as a question not a statement, if any one is interested in any of this write to me personally, this tread is not about science its about "Code Name: Steel Rain"

#30 User is offline   Festanator 

• hes nisknames bear...
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Festanator

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:49 PM

u could just shoot paintballs in the air and hope u get lucky(the basic solution)
IPB Image

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users