Special Ops Paintball: Noob's POLL - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Noob's POLL When do you all consider a noob no longer Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Off topic but here is a ??? When do you all consider a noob no longer a noob? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

When do you all consider a noob no longer a noob? After the 1st few games? After several weeks of play? or by SKILL and the way they play?

1. After the 1st few games? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. After several weeks of play? (5 votes [11.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

3. After a year of considerable play? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. BY SKILL and the way they play? (38 votes [86.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.36%

5. Just because they say they are not? (1 votes [2.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   D.T.A.G.CO 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:~HAMMER~

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

When do you all consider a noob no longer a noob?

Please tell us why you made the choice you did.

Hammer OUT!

#2 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

someone does not just turn into a mediocre player after playing for a few weeks.. some people are slow learners and some pick up on things quick..

my first time paintball i was beast.. and had people asking me how long i have been playing.. and when i told them this was my first time.. they just got that look in their face like they wanted to kick a puppy, and then just walk away..

but some people take longer to get the ropes of things and do more then run 10 feet from the start of a game.

my definition of a newbie: Someone who does not follow the standard safety rules.. i cant tell you how much it peeves me to see someone taking their mask off and they justify it by "well the game has not even started yet"

i would also be very careful calling someone with a rental gun a newbie. because for all you know, this person might have had problems with his or her marker and ended up having to rent.

i generally figure out who the newbies are after the first 2-3 games.. and i only wait that long to make that judgment cause i've had days where i wouldnt do much at the start because im still tired =P
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#3 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

There's a difference between being a newb and being a noob.

Newb is short for newbie, it means the same as greenhorn. It implies that the have little experience. Newbs are willing to ask questions and LEARN.

Noob is NOT the same thing. It is generally considered a derogatory term and has more to do with attitude than skill. NOOBS don't ask and assume they have all the skills in the world.

I've met people that have play for 20 years that ignore and break rules, disregard safety, play with the intent to bonus ball/light people up. Those people I'd put in the NOOB class.

When do we quit calling a person a newb? When they show they understand the spirit of the rules, put safety and fun before a win and show sportsmanship. Skill has some part in it and when they start teaching/helping other newbs I'd say they upped their level.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#4 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

well, i guess you could say the more crap you talk, the less likely you are to be considered a threat. i pay more attention to the quiet ones than the yip yaps in the staging area.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#5 User is offline   D.T.A.G.CO 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:~HAMMER~

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

View PostPuzuma, on 21 July 2010 - 05:44 PM, said:

Newb is short for newbie, it means the same as greenhorn. It implies that the have little experience. Newbs are willing to ask questions and LEARN.

Noob is NOT the same thing. It is generally considered a derogatory term and has more to do with attitude than skill. NOOBS don't ask and assume they have all the skills in the world.

I've met people that have play for 20 years that ignore and break rules, disregard safety, play with the intent to bonus ball/light people up. Those people I'd put in the NOOB class.

When do we quit calling a person a newb? When they show they understand the spirit of the rules, put safety and fun before a win and show sportsmanship. Skill has some part in it and when they start teaching/helping other newbs I'd say they upped their level.

If I were a teacher I would give you 100% for your answer. I truly doubt if there is a better one. Perfect just what I was wanting to hear, definition of the terms and a short to the point explanation. THANK YOU!

Keep them coming I want to hear from everyone.

#6 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

Unfortunately/fortunately for the majority of players, I've noticed that in this day and age you aren't considered a newb when the following occur.

A few unfortunate and inaccurate symptoms of no longer being a newb:

-Your marker/gear costs a lot or parts of it match
-You look cool or "agg" (goes hand in hand with the first one)
-Full auto...'nuff said

A few fortunate and spot on ones:

-You understand the game, the nature, and the physics of it while playing
-YOU KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF AND MAINTAIN YOUR GEAR, as well as fix all those little problems yourself rather than take it to someone who will!!!!!
-You no longer have newb syndrom :D
Newb syndrom - the unexplainable urge to take off your mask and start talking as soon as a a paintball impacts your body and thus, eliminates you from the game.
-You know the rules of the game WEREN'T meant to be broken

-Ty

This post has been edited by TyTy: 22 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

#7 User is offline   Zz Loth zZ 

• Wellst Obviously We Have a Rapist
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ZZLOTHZZ

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

Hmm, I think that a Noob is definitely classified by the way that they act. Fortunately I have yet to meet any players that have been playing for a long time, and still have a crappy attitude (although, I'm sure the paintball world isn't lacking any).

I have never given it much thought, but I guess I've always classified a "newb", as someone who is new to the game, but still learns how to play as they go along. I normally classify a "noob", as someone that has been playing for some time, yet continues to act like a new player, because they don't put forth an effort to actually learn.

I think that Puz's answer was 100% better than mine, but this is just how I have always thought of it.

----------Please disregard my signature for the remainder of this thread------------

#8 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

View PostIron__Man, on 21 July 2010 - 02:51 PM, said:

well, i guess you could say the more crap you talk, the less likely you are to be considered a threat. i pay more attention to the quiet ones than the yip yaps in the staging area.

You sir speak truth.

The guy bragging about the game they just had...and the moves they made....they are targets. The guy reloading his ten round tubes and drinking a water with a slight smile...he scares me!

#9 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

View PostD.T.A.G.CO, on 21 July 2010 - 06:02 PM, said:

View PostPuzuma, on 21 July 2010 - 05:44 PM, said:

If I were a teacher I would give you 100% for your answer. I truly doubt if there is a better one. Perfect just what I was wanting to hear, definition of the terms and a short to the point explanation. THANK YOU!

Keep them coming I want to hear from everyone.

Well I AM a teacher.....and I would give him a 99%. :(

:laugh: I would just add a slight bit to Puz'z explanation. Newbs are new TEMPORARILY. Noobs continue to be noobs indefinitely. Some may mature and become more, and some probably are always noobs. What shines out the most to me in Puz'z explanation is bolded above.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#10 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:chasbronson

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

A newb stops being a noob when he has humbled himself ,or herself long enough to learn the wise ways of those who play honorably,unselfishly,sportsmanlike,and a team member. They watch out for others,as well as themself and other newbs. They than humbly pass that imformation on.[Well, as least most of it]. [Can't give away all your secrets].That comes later in maturity.A newb has two ears and one mouth.A noob has no ears and twenty mouths.Maturity comes when you can take constructive criticism.OUCH

#11 User is offline   Zzaque 

• Voce nao pode ser serio!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Zzaque

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

I will always consider myself to be a newb!

Reasons:

#1 - I will always have my moments and if I am considered a newb there will be less disappointment all around.

#2 - Newbs are usually noted for being enthusiastic and I will always be enthusiastic about paintball.

#3 - I am always learning new things no matter who I play against.

#4 - Newbs can get away with saying stuff like "This is nothing like Halo. . ." or, "How could they see me? I was wearing camouflage!"

Newbs just have more fun . . . Newbs Rule!
"So, I can't find any Vitamin B-12 pills . . . can't I just give him 2 Vitamin B-6's?"
-A Confused Nurse-

#12 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:09 AM

its obvious isnt it ??? its when your member title no longer says "FORUM NEWBIE" ... hahaha

bleh ... youre all a bunch of newbs ... lol

#13 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

View Postklaatu, on 01 August 2010 - 07:09 AM, said:

its obvious isnt it ??? its when your member title no longer says "FORUM NEWBIE" ... hahaha

Only a newb would say that. :dodgy:
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#14 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

View PostI.K.E., on 02 August 2010 - 01:25 AM, said:

View Postklaatu, on 01 August 2010 - 07:09 AM, said:

Only a newb would say that. :D

thats EXACTLY how i feel about it ...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users