Special Ops Paintball: My Save Phace Review - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Save Phace Review 'Dis series Louts mask...freakin sweet...

#1 User is offline   SN toter 

• Yes, I had a Super Nova
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SN TOTER

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:30 AM

My review of the Save Phace 'Dis series mask(Lotus).

About Save Phace - This is their first attempt at the Paintball market. Save Phace masks have been used for boaters, ATV's, military applications, and more in several countries prior to the paintball application release. They offer a wide range of features and graphic options throughout their product lines.

Single pane lens - The 'Dis series lens is a single pane anti fog lens. I was leary of this as I've had bad luck with some other masks single paned lenses that were dubbed 'anti-fog'. This one really is. I spent 6 whole missions from Mission Masters Eragon: Legacy of the Dragon scenario event with this mask. Weather was about 72 degrees and very humid. We even had storms come through over the lunch break. I sweat like crazy and was really breathing hard several times. I never had even a trace of fogging. I even closed my bathroom with a hot sower going and waited for the room to steam up. I put on the mask and walked in, waited 30 seconds and walked out...no fog. I'm blown away by that.

Comfort - This marker is very comfortable and on par with most other high end masks out there. I wore mine with no visor and no forhead guard. I noticed that with the visor on the back of the visor rubbed my forehead and was slightly uncomfortable. Thats my only comfort gripe, I was very pleased with how light and tight this mask is.

Coverage - Well you have some options here. Each mask comes with an optional visor and forehead guard, which are nice options. This mask is definitely on the small side and it does leave the rear edges of my jawline exposed. Coverage is comperable to simliar sized high end masks(i3's, events, etc).

Breaking it down - Dissassembly is very easy adn not so easy at the same time. To remove the lens you pop out a pair of clips and the lens slides out the front. After doing this once or twice I can take off my lens in about 20 seconds. It is MUCH easier than my JT flex 7 and flex 8. The forhead guard is more difficult and actually held on by screws, and that takes a bit longer to remove. Save phace does include a small screw removal tool, but the one I recieved was actually too fine and of no use with the screwheads. I grabbed a seperate screwdriver that I own and removed it with that.

Looks and quality - Looks are going to depend on the player. I love the way these masks look, I know others who don't. What I can say is that the finish on these is very nice and after taking some direct hits and cleaning the mask, I cannot see any signs of wear or spiderweb cracks in the images of lens. It's a hard plastic mask, so if you are looking for something with a lot of deflective rubber this isn't for you. I test dropped this mask down my hardwood stairs and was pleasantly suprised to find that there was not even a scratch on the lens or finish. I haven't used it enough to comment on long term durability but from what I've seen thus far I am confident I won't be dissapointed. Back to looks, one slick feature is the marks-a-lot series. You can actually get a blank mask to paint whatever you want. My brother airbrushed a slick design on his pictured below. I was also very happy with the option to have my teams logo printed on, it's on the earpiece and looks very nice.

Support - One thing I love about Save Phace is how easy they are to deal with. I get a quick response to all of my inquiries and they are courtious and professional on the phone and via email. A++ in this department!

All in all I am thus far very impressed. I'll keep this updated as I continue use of the mask.

Lotus:
Posted Image
Posted Image

In use w/o guard or visor:
Posted Image

Custom Painted
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   buffaloclone 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

snap thats one beaut of a mask! nice paint job

snap thats one beaut of a mask! nice paint job

#3 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

Yikes, that doesn't look very safe on you. When you said it left a bit of your jawline exposed, I expected just a tiny bit. No, that's your entire jaw bone, including your chin. NOT cool.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#4 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

^^^Yeah, I'm not a fan of the coverage, but other than that it looks pretty cool. If I decide I need a new mask anytime soon, I'll give these a look-see.
Good review!
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   SN toter 

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

View PostWardenWolf, on May 4 2008, 02:11 PM, said:

Yikes, that doesn't look very safe on you. When you said it left a bit of your jawline exposed, I expected just a tiny bit. No, that's your entire jaw bone, including your chin. NOT cool.

I should have stated...I have a very large head, I3's and events give me the same if not less coverage, even my flex 8 reveals a little of my jawline. I'm a bit of a mutant so a pic of me wearing it really doesn't give you a good frame of reference.

Also Save Phace is releasing an XL version that will have more coverage later this year.

This post has been edited by SN toter: 04 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

I'll put it this way: a LOT of people come close to having exposed jawlines with a Flex-8. If this thing has even less coverage, I'm going to conclude this mask is unsafe for the general public. While there may be some people who can wear it safely, if your average person cannot wear it with NO exposure the mask has NO business being on the market.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#7 User is offline   SN toter 

• PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:45 AM

View PostWardenWolf, on May 4 2008, 10:49 PM, said:

I'll put it this way: a LOT of people come close to having exposed jawlines with a Flex-8. If this thing has even less coverage, I'm going to conclude this mask is unsafe for the general public. While there may be some people who can wear it safely, if your average person cannot wear it with NO exposure the mask has NO business being on the market.

I'll repeat...

Save phace IS hearing that is the number one complaint and will have an XL version out shortly. I guess you feel the same way about Dye and Empire masks then? Becasue they have the same if not more of the jawline exposed.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:53 AM

What are your physical stats? Height and weight? We can see how the mask covers you but that doesn't really give a frame of reference. A guy that's 6' 6" and 320lbs will have a bigger head than someone that's 5'6" and 170.
Do you have a pic of your brother wearing his mask? How much smaller/bigger than you is he?
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#9 User is offline   Swamp Thing 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SwampThing666

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:03 AM

I have a question. Why do people keep insisting that haveing the jaw exposed is not Safe. Yeah it will hurt if you get nailed in the jaw but there is no vital organ that is exposed.

The only major vital area in that ball bark woulf be the larynx and most Masks do nothing to shield the middle of the neck.

Swamp
Captain Underground Mod Shop Special Operations Guerrillas U.M.S.S.O.G.
SPPL 2nd Place Rookie Division 2008 @ Bearclaw
Executive Officer of the 352nd Panzenjagers OK D Day (2008)
CO of the 709th Artillerie Regiment, OK D Day (2009)

#10 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:15 AM

There are nerves along the jaw line that if enough force is applied can do some serious harm. If someone suffers a stroke those nerves can become damaged, imagine taking 2 or 3 shots to them....
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#11 User is offline   Swamp Thing 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SwampThing666

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:00 AM

Puz

I am an M.D. The major nerve that goes into the jaw is encased in the jaw bone itself. There is no way you are gonna hurt that.

The Carotid Body which is involved in Blood preasure regulation and blood flow to the head in in the mid neck shieled by the sternoclidomastoid muscle

There is a plexus of nerves that comes out in front of the ear but even that ia fairly deep and would be difficult to harm with a paintball hit. And the save Phace mask in question covers that area.

Is there any documented evidence that a paintball hit to the lower jaw is dangerous?

Swamp
Captain Underground Mod Shop Special Operations Guerrillas U.M.S.S.O.G.
SPPL 2nd Place Rookie Division 2008 @ Bearclaw
Executive Officer of the 352nd Panzenjagers OK D Day (2008)
CO of the 709th Artillerie Regiment, OK D Day (2009)

#12 User is offline   SN toter 

• PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:16 AM

I'll get you a shot of my brother wearing his(he's got a 'normal' sized head) when i get the time :P It gives similar protection to Dye i3's. I'm an average build, 6'1" 210lbs...I just have an abnormally long face..always have, my wife tells me I look like a 'bobble-head'.

As for the jawline, seems to be the biggest complaint, again it's going around that a longer mask will be available this year.

This post has been edited by SN toter: 05 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Killa Daddy of Two 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kdo2

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

I am a Larger fella, 5'11, but 230ish Lbs. I wear a size 7 5/8ths hat. This mask, still gives ample coverage, even more so then my old mask, the Jt Flex8. This mask is safe. It offers far more coverage then any of those small EVent masks.

On a serious note, I prefer the smaller masks anyways. It allows for easy sighting down the marker, rather then not being able to use any of my sights.

#14 User is offline   matsau 

• blackthorn of ground zero
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:sniperfodder

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

the save phace mask that our team use so far have been amazing they have held up to alot of different play enviroments and draw the eye at any game event we have played at. the mask does not fog even under the crazy canadain winter we are having which is a plus for us. A++ mask highly recommended
www.oass.ca

#15 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

Never really liked Save Phace masks. But that first one gets me. Pull the top visor thingy off (like in pic), and I would use it. Coverage isn't great.. But then again, I wear E-Vents... They actually give me some good coverage though.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users