• You cannot reply to this topic

Exploding CO2 Tank! Well, I guess it didn't really "explode"

#1 User is offline   Dusty Dee 

• aka DIRT
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:DustyDee

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:16 AM

Yesterday I filled my CO2 tank up (rather, I got the guy that knows what he's doing to fill it up) at the local field. I screwed it into my 98C and I got 2 good shots, and 3 shots that fell 20 ft in front of me. After that, there was no pressure coming from the tank. When I unscrewed it, there wasn't even a release in pressure. So I slapped on my spare tank and went back to playing.

That night I got home, put my gear in the living room, and went up to have a shower. No sooner do I get in the shower than my wife comes running up the stairs screaming the bloodiest death scream that something blew up in the living room! I ran down stairs to find that my faulty CO2 tank had popped and released all of the CO2 in my gear bag (it froze things up pretty good in there)!

What would cause this? Is it fixable (ya, ya, ya, just get an HPA tank; that will fix all your CO2 problems...)? Should I just throw out this tank, or can I refill it again?

Thanks guys,
Dirt
That's pronounced Dirte

98 Custom
J&J Ceramic 14" barrel
collapsible stock

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

You blew a blow-out disc. These are replaceable and designed for saftey. It's the weak link.

Posted Image

My first thoughts is that the tank was overfilled. When it warmed up a bit the pressure was too much for the pin valve to open. After it was really warmed the disc blew.

No big deal. Replace the disc and reuse it. All part of the paintball experience.

#3 User is offline   Dusty Dee 

• aka DIRT
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:DustyDee

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:56 AM

That's what I figured. Thanks for the response!
Dirt
That's pronounced Dirte

98 Custom
J&J Ceramic 14" barrel
collapsible stock

#4 User is offline   Kodiak 

• Captain DHP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kodiak

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

The Walmarts in my area will take a tank in trade. They give you a full, inspected tank in trade for yours for$7.88. Not bad if you have tank issues or an out of hydro tank.

#5 User is offline   Spektre 

• Forum Stalker
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPEKTRE

Post icon  Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

View PostKodiak, on Apr 18 2009, 07:47 PM, said:

The Walmarts in my area will take a tank in trade. They give you a full, inspected tank in trade for yours for$7.88. Not bad if you have tank issues or an out of hydro tank.

That's awesome... Very good to know. I've got some old tanks laying around here, might take them in and see what I can do...

Dusty, I had that happen to me several years ago while ridding with my friend's family down the interstate. I just had the tank (an old 16oz :( ) sitting in a cardboard box and when it blew it filled the car with Co2 and made a horrendous noise. Luckily my friend's mom kept control of the vehicle and no one was hurt, but it scared the hell out of us. :o :mellow: :P
SPEKTRE, Recon Element
Grim Reapers Paintball

#6 User is offline   davmitchell77 

• juggalo
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:paintballmagnet

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

i used to have an old 5 lb cylinder at work to test markers with, and a piece of the urethane seal behind the pin froze, or broke, or whatever, and it spewed like a chilly vesuvius. thing is, it froze 2 or 3 times, the ice plugging the tank momentarily, so it would spew, then slow, then spew, kinda cool. even the concrete under the tank was frozen by the time it was done.

i've seen a reg pop on a hpa bottle, nowhere near the mess , but that one frosted over too.

now, i've got a 220 cu ft nitrogen tank, they only fill those to 2200 psi, but i can't imagine that one popping. knock on wood.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users