• You cannot reply to this topic

Ghillie Cloak Doing it myself Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Prophaniti 

• Just not in front of the kids...
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Prophaniti

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:51 AM

After doing a bit of soul-searching on the field, I've decided my own preferences for concealment are leaning heavily towards the idea of a Ghillie Cloak.

I've decided that the SpecOps AG Shirt/Pants set isn't the way I want to go. I have two main reasons for this.
First and foremost, I already have a Dagger Vest that I'm extremely happy with. Trying to wear this plus the AG shirt causes too many problems in figuring out how to maintain the concealment that the AG suit gives and still be able to wear the vest.

Secondly, and I'm not saying they suck or are a poor choice...It's simply a personal preference...but I've never been a fan of drawstring pants and my physical dimensions make it hard to fit standard sizes (extremely tall and extremely scrawny). After trying on my buddy's AG set, I'm now convinced that as great as the suit is, I'd have a hard time feeling comfortable in it.

Overall, I'm more interested in an ankle-length cloak that I can drape over my shoulders. I want the same lightweight, breathable mesh that the AG suits are made from, just in one big honkin' length I can envelop myself in.
So far, I haven't found any place that makes such a thing in the specs that I have in mind, so I'm making it myself.

The plan is to get a fair amount of heavy-duty mesh very similar to the base material used by Spec Ops for their Action Ghillie clothing...just a bit more rugged.
I found some Heavy-Duty mesh here.
I'll be attempting to create a double-layer for increased durability and sewing on some heavy-duty canvas around the exterior edges to further reinforce the cape's ability to withstand snags and fraying.

Once I've gotten the general shape I want, I'll be sewing on one or two webbing buckles. I'm not sure how many...currently I'm considering two basic options.
First option: One simple buckle to connect it around my neck. I worry about clothes-lining myself if I catch the cloak on a log or somesuch, so this is probably not the best option...but it is simple.

Second option: Create an inner harness consisting of two backpack-like straps to wear under my armpits. These would be sewn to the canvas lining of the cloak. Next, I'd attach one buckle that snaps across the front of my chest to help hold it in place and keep the armpit straps from sliding around. I'll probably super-reinforce the lining of the cloak where the harness connects to it and do some heavy stitching to make sure this doesn't rip apart at the wrong moment.
This option would be a bit more intricate, but I think it would be a better bet in the long run.

Once the cloak itself is made, I've still got to get it camoed.
I'll be using a combination of Woodland Digi and Desert colors from the Spec Ops AG line to get a close match to my local environment. I'll also be using a bit of Sneaky Leaves faux foliage to give it an extra bit of definition for blending with the local flora.

Pricing Estimates:
Cloak fabric: ~ $40.00
Canvas lining fabric: ~ $14.00
Straps/Harness: ~ $35.00
Camo: ~ $40.00
Time & Effort: ~ 10 hours

I'll be posting follow-ups in this thread as my project progresses.

This post has been edited by Prophaniti: 18 May 2007 - 05:50 AM

#2 User is offline   Prophaniti 

• PipPip

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:48 AM

The backpack harness idea has been scratched. First off, way too complicated. Secondly, I was forgetting to take into account the mounting points available on my Dagger vest.

I'm refining my attachment points to include two adjustable straps that are anchored on the cloak and will go over each shoulder. At about an inch wide, they'll be able to fit through the MOLLE attachment points on the shoulder straps of the vest. I'll run the straps through the MOLLE points and loop back up the length of the strap, attaching the straps to themselves with a length of Velcro.

I'm liking this method a bit more. Much simpler and less weird strappy-things to have to worry about getting tangled in while trying to put it on.

I'm probably going to sew on a 1-foot tall piece of canvas across the inner bottom of the cloak. This mesh material snags at the most inopportune moments. With a piece of canvas at the bottom, it'll help to prevent snags on the mesh and instead allow obstructions to "slide" along the canvas without getting caught.

I forgot to mention...the Sneaky Leaves stuff is a great option for this particular use. The mounting points have a hole large enough to fit the Action Ghille zip ties through. Once the ties are cinched up, the leaves are forced into an upright position. Much easier than using the safety pins that are supplied with them.
I'm liking the look simply because I can use the same exact zip tie I'm placing the AG on the cloak to top it off with a Sneaky Leaf.
I'll be using a lot of the green leaves around the top of the cloak, and fading into brown ones at the bottom. When I'm in a crouched position, this'll help blend in well because "alive" leaves will be higher from the ground than the "deadfall" leaves.

This post has been edited by Prophaniti: 18 May 2007 - 05:55 AM

#3 User is offline   Hellhound 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hellhound

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

I did a homemade Cape that works very well I love it
Proud member of team Green Gevils
Proud to be a woodland warrior
Giesterjager CO OK DDAY

#4 User is offline   andrew h 

• death is on the wind...
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:*shadow*

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

maybe try this on a trenchcoat?
so a bush shot you?...
...fear the sniper

official sniper #23
play here! -> http://www.forestfirepb.com/

#5 User is offline   Prophaniti 

• PipPip

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:53 AM

View Postandrew h, on May 19 2007, 09:42 PM, said:

maybe try this on a trenchcoat?

Well, there are already ponchos and whatnot out there, so I'd group a trenchcoat into this same category.
For this project, I don't want sleeves, buttons, zippers, etc. Simplicity is what I'm going for as far as how it will fit.

I'm also trying to keep it lightweight and breathable. It gets hot...REALLY hot where I live, and so the less layers I have to wear, the better. A cloak still allows me to just wear a camo t-shirt between my skin and the air.

#6 User is offline   Missing Link 

• How many times per second do you really need to miss me?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Missing Link

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:17 AM

Was looking at doing this when I get back to the States. Post some pics if you can, I would be interested in seeing how your project is turning out.

-Link

#7 User is offline   Prophaniti 

• PipPip

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:52 AM

Will do. The first prototype should be finished up within a week. Once that happens, I'll post a couple snapshots.

#8 User is offline   thebostinian 

• SOFA Favorite Member Title 2009
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thebostinian

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:06 PM

i'd find a way to hook it to my thighs or waist, if only to control the snagging a little bit more.

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

#9 User is offline   MOCA 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:STEALTH LINE

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the link to the faux leaves! I've been trying to find some for a while. Also your idea sounds good if you aren't running around too much but if you are, like thebostinian said, you'll need to find a way to make sure it doesn't flap around.
-MOCA :ghillie:

This post has been edited by MOCA: 15 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

MOCA motto- Silentium Trucidat "Silence Kills". Originator of MOCA Masters Of Camouflage and Ambush
SL-68 II Robin Hood Pumper

#10 User is offline   Prophaniti 

• PipPip

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:59 AM

Update:

The idea for a cloak is still on the table, but to be quite honest, my prototype has convinced me that some ideas that sound great in theory translate horribly when put into action.

A couple of things I learned:

A cloak of any considerable length is a bad idea. I designed a length that would stay off the ground while in a crouch-walking posture. Sounded great, but turned out to still be way too long. I spent way too much time either taking a knee or sitting. The cloak fanned out around me and on a couple of occasions I ended up stepping on it and almost bowled myself over when I attempted to stand again. Next version will just barely go down past my butt and will be shaped so the sides slope into a broad oval instead of trying for a rectangular base shape.

Remote lines are hungry. They'll eat anything that gets too close to them. Tangling became a problem between the AG material and the remote coils. At times, I had to fight with it just to bring my marker up to my shoulder. Shredding the AG on that portion of the cloak to prevent snags should fix the problem.

Faux Leaves shouldn't be zip-tied on as permanent fixtures. I played on a field with zero fallen leaves, and the brown foliage from my leaf kit gave me away countless times. I'd suggest either zip-tying some live foliage from the actual field, or just bringing a bunch of the faux foliage with you to the field and deciding which colors to use based on the season and surroundings.

The mesh material I used for the prototype wasn't strong enough. Since this was just a prototype, I was going for "cheap" and so went with a black mesh fabric I found online for $20. Every snag produced a rip. Every further snag produced a new rip and turned previous rips into gaping holes. Back to the drawing board for the base material...looks like the heavy-duty stuff from the link I provided in the initial post might be a better alternative than trying to go for "cheap."

#11 User is offline   Swamp Thing 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SwampThing666

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:02 AM

Before I read you post I was ready to go out and attempt this myself. Keep us updated as to Version number 2.0

Swamp
Captain Underground Mod Shop Special Operations Guerrillas U.M.S.S.O.G.
SPPL 2nd Place Rookie Division 2008 @ Bearclaw
Executive Officer of the 352nd Panzenjagers OK D Day (2008)
CO of the 709th Artillerie Regiment, OK D Day (2009)

#12 User is offline   CFriis 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:18 AM

I'm currently working on a similar project, but using camo patterned fabric instead of mesh, also to help with the lenght, I plan to make it possible to fasten the bottom of he cloak to a spot on a chestpiece on my tactical vest so that it'll drape down under one arm when moving around. I'll do my best to illustrate my ideas as I go along.
I also plan to make the hood part of the cloak big enough to cover the back half of the rifle.

Oh and many thanks for the link to the faux foliage, that'll look awesome on it when it's done I'm sure.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users