Special Ops Paintball: DYE PROTO PRIMO and ARCHON/TACOMA Gravity Hopper Review - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DYE PROTO PRIMO and ARCHON/TACOMA Gravity Hopper Review Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   blackrain 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:blackrain's aftermath

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

DYE PROTO PRIMO and ARCHON/TACOMA Gravity Hopper Review

Posted Image

So this hopper is all the RAVE amongst the Gravity feed crowd. So today I decided to give this hopper a work out and compare it to the Achron/Tacoma gravity hopper of similar style.

Posted Image

So this isn't a new idea,it's actually been out a few yrs. However internally it is different. DYE has taken it to a different level.

Today (11 Apr. 2010) I used my DYE PROTO PRIMO and Archon/Tacoma gravity hopper on my Air Challenger MG7 PLUS and WGP Autococker with Hittmann tight bore barrel.

Posted Image

Now to be honest I had to see what all the hype was. At $25.00 shipped I took the chance. However the Archon's were much cheaper at $9.00 shipped.

My first impression of the Primo.

It was very smooth and Egg shaped. The lid was a flip up style and clear. The shell seems very solid. It seemed to be at a perfect angle for feeding paintballs. It started off large at top and tappered down to a smaller bottom.

Upon looking inside I noticed that the ramp feed hole was split in two by a point. This interested me,so I had to look closer. So break out the phillips and open it up for all to see.

Posted Image

L/R halfs of shell:
Not how the ramp sits in the shell,using pre molded groove.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Upper ramp:

This is the portion the balls roll down and enter both the top and lower ramp feed holes. Note how the center is sunk in and both sides are slightly angled. The ramp is also bowed with tiny dibits on upper and lower side.

Posted Image

Ball Guide/splitter/guide:

So look at this as if it were a sports stadium entrance way and each ARCH is what controls ball traffic to go down a different hallway. Guiding it to the feed hole and keeping all traffic separated to not congest the feed hole. The popcoen effect is what disrupts the balls and helps feed the round. However there is always a congestion,always one idiot in the crowd :ROTFL:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now let's look inside the Archon/Tacoma Hopper:

So take out the screw driver once again and take it apart.

Posted Image

Both halfs:

Notice how the ramp is not removeable and slopes down on both upper ends and is rounded on lower. Basically the balls are suppose to bump into each other and the back blow is suppose to create a popcorn effect freeing up the balls so that they are able to feed with out jamming. Yep like I mentioned before,there is always that one idiot in the crowd that wants do do things their way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I decided to use the DYE Primo first. Figured I have a low end gun and I'm suppose to be a rec player today and have a good time with a birthday party that was going one. So I load up a hopper and off to the chrono station. So I chrono in and decide to shoot a hopper full. It shot excellenct till my first jam (I was not using eyes). Gave it a little shake,few rounds shot then the first break. Okay clean the barrel and use eyes. Well I still had to shake the hopper while rapid fire. When I shot on both modes,single shot,I didnot have a break.
I played a few games with the Primo,and to be honest I was very happy with it. To me, it wasn't like every other gravity feed hopper,it fed balls 100% better. To me it was very dependable. When it was feeding,it was dependable under fire. When it broke one in the breech,it would keep feeding. Can I blame the hopper? No not really. I can't even blame the gun,because I used it on my Auto Cocker with the same results.
Now I could have blamed the paint,but it was round and fresh. I was using Draxxus. Even the old stuff I used shot well till I broke one in the breech.
If you look at the many YOUTUBE videos,you'll notice players with the same results of ball breaks. But a little shake and your back in action.

As a long time player of this sport (22 yrs) I give this product an 9 out of 10. For it's excellent price and innovation. It's bought something new to paintball that isn't a piece of over priced junk. DYE has taken an old idea and given it new life and a fresh start.

As a rec player that was shooting what many consider a low end gun,I give this item a 10. Reason being it's a MUCH BETTER alternative to other hoppers that fall into the shake and bake catagory. Less clog and more feed. This means that the rec player will have less jams and more playing time,instead of shaking that over filled hopper:ROTFL:

By the way I did over fill this hopper and it worked as it would have 1/2 filled. The ramp does work and so does/do the feed port(s).

I really hope that DYE decides to make a smaller 50-100 round version. This will be a great open class hopper for Pump play. Even if the present version is used,I see this hopper having a great following in pump play.

So on with the Archon/Tacoma Hopper review:

As you can see from the pictures,It's not the same as the DYE Primo. However it worked the same. It's very bulky,but looking from a rec players point of view,it works better than your normal shake and back. I used this hopper on my Autococker and got the same results as the DYE Primo. Every so often I would have a breech break. It wasn't due to short stroke either. Although I didn't use this hopper on my MG7 PLUS during play,I did shoot over 300 rounds thru my MG7 into the woods at my home. I still got breaks.

As far as feed results,they compared even with the DYE hopper. Only difference is price and size. Even over filled,it worked very well.

As a rec player I would give this a 10 also. For the price you just can't beat it. Reliability is excellent for a shake and bake hopper. This would be an excellent hopper on rental guns for any field that uses a gravity hopper. Once again,reliable feed and more time playing for the weekend rec player.

For final results,I did use an Electronic hopper on both guns I used for testing. Never had a break in either breech or barrel. I would reccommend either of these hoppers to rec players and anyone who would want to play with a gravity hopper. Both are excellent and priced for your style of play or budget.

Either is a good hopper if your battery dies and you can't get a new one in your hopper. Some players prefer sleek over bulky,me,it doesn't matter. I'll shoot both. Once again these are just my opinions and opinions vary from player to player. So take this info for what it's worth and you make the decision of which to use.

Later,
Blackrain:)

#2 User is offline   THUNDR 

• Heavy Metal
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Koos

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

Glad to hear they both worked, but you said the only real difference was capacity, which one holds more?

View PostMarine Scout Sniper, on 24 November 2008 - 06:47 PM, said:

I just try to fulfill what the military conciders when they look for a sniper. ...their major concern is over all accuracy, physical stamina, patience, ability to acquire top secret clearance, and prior experience in paintball and/or hunting...

Gearbag Sale

#3 User is offline   blackrain 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

View PostTHUNDR, on 27 July 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

Glad to hear they both worked, but you said the only real difference was capacity, which one holds more?

Tacoma held more rounds.

Later,

#4 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:35 AM

I was waiting for someone to do a review of the Primo. I must say, you did go more in depth than what most would do. Great review.

#5 User is offline   blackrain 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

View PostDark Shadow Hunter, on 28 July 2010 - 06:35 AM, said:

I was waiting for someone to do a review of the Primo. I must say, you did go more in depth than what most would do. Great review.

Well I try to cover everything. Haveing something already on the market made it easy for comparison. I only bought it just to compare and do the review. I'm not a fan boy of any company,but either of these hoppers are good if you shoot gravity. Maybe I'll find someone at the field who really needs a hopper and sell it off. Not sure what I want to do with it.

I just wanted everyone to see the inside difference and let them make up their minds. Personally I'd use either or. If you're like me,name brands aren't a priority. I can say that either of these are perfect for the budget player or players who just want to get back to the roots of the game.

Later,

#6 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

+1 :dodgy:

#7 User is offline   blackrain 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

View Postslinkyaroo, on 30 July 2010 - 08:52 AM, said:

+1 :dodgy:

Glad you like it.
Later,

#8 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

Great Review. If i ever need a huge hopper again i shall look into the Primo. Right now though a 50 round APP lasts me forever
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#9 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

Very good reviews. I kind of want a primo, but I think a 50 round would fit me better.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users