• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

best way to clean lense's? some smearing. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   badger nine 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

Hey guys, I have a JT flex 8 mask with thermal lense's, I've been having some problems with visibilty lately, there not fogging, but there is some smearing that makes it harder to see out, even when theres nothing on there.

What are the best ways to clean a thermal lense's both at a field, and at home?

#2 User is offline   Nom Carver 

• My browser PWNS yours!!!
  • PipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:09 PM

lens cleaning solution along with a microfiber cloth is what I use.
(\__,,
( x x) <--- This is Bunny if I see him in one more signature...
(")_ -==(")
Dear Tippmann, Clamshells suck. Signed, Friggin everybody - F-3
feedback My How to paint snakeskin how-to; OMG!!!

#3 User is offline   Dib 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dib

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

I have five or six microfiber cloths for sunglasses that I take to the field with me. I use a damp wad of toilet paper to get the glob of paint off and the microfiber cloths to get the smears and polish it up. :dry:
If he rips my arms off, I'll kick him to death.
If he rips my legs off, I'll bite him to death.
If he rips my head off, I'll stare him to death.
And if he gouges my eyes out, I'll curse him from beyond the grave.

#4 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

I strictly use water & a soft cloth. If that doesn't work for you atleast stay away from anything not specifically designed for cleaning a lense... no windex!
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#5 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

Always rinse away debris with water before cleaning lenses. This reduces chances of scratching the lens. Use a cleaning solution approved for paintball lenses. Glass cleaners can etch plastic lenses, and strip away fog resistant coating. Paintball lens cleaning solutions are more expensive than alternatives, but a $4-$5 bottle of paintball lens cleaner will last several rounds of paintball...a new lens is about $10. If you don't have an approved cleaner, stick with water. If you use anti-fog treatments, for best results, apply the treatment, allow it to air dry, then buff to slight haze with a very soft, clean cloth.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:17 PM

View PostWarpaint, on Jun 9 2009, 08:52 PM, said:

Always rinse away debris with water before cleaning lenses. This reduces chances of scratching the lens. Use a cleaning solution approved for paintball lenses. Glass cleaners can etch plastic lenses, and strip away fog resistant coating. Paintball lens cleaning solutions are more expensive than alternatives, but a $4-$5 bottle of paintball lens cleaner will last several rounds of paintball...a new lens is about $10. If you don't have an approved cleaner, stick with water. If you use anti-fog treatments, for best results, apply the treatment, allow it to air dry, then buff to slight haze with a very soft, clean cloth.

Where? Thermal lenses I've not seen cheaper than $20.

For the fastest and best clean, use plexus. It's a plastic cleaner that works wonderfully. And yes...it's marketed by JT, and is perfectly safe to use on your lenses. Water works OK too.

A note about thermals...don't get water on the sealing foam gasket between the two lenses, this can separate them and render the lens very foggy. Also, most thermal lenses' inner lens is very easily scratchable, be sure to dab up particles first then only wipe with a clean microfiber cloth. For the exterior of lenses, a paper towel is generally fine, you might want to be more careful with mirror coatings though. However, soft cotton or microfiber is still better.

#7 User is offline   Tora 

• Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:21 PM

I put water in a spray bottle and wet the lens with it, then wipe away with a soft cloth.
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!

#8 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:40 AM

Make sure you wipe off any bits of broken shell and splatter from your goggles before spraying on Plexus or any other lense cleaner. And while water is fine, make sure you use distilled water. See, tap water can leave hard water stains and streaks on your mask once it dries.

When you clean, don't sit and polish, take your rag or cloth and wipe from one side of the lense to the other.
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#9 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:27 AM

While in the field, I just keep a couple of soaked paper towels in a ziploc bag in one cargo pocket & soft bandanna in the other. If I take a gog hit or have a bunch of splatter I just wipe the lense clean of goop w/ the wet towel & dry/buff clean w/ the bandanna. It's worked great the last few times I've done it. The admin building at our field has a cleaning station that I typically use if necessary, but usually my lense is clean before I come off w/ the above method.

slow made a good point about thermals: don't submerge them in water, atleast not warm water or not for more than a quick dunk. It could release the seal between the two making the lense worthless if it gets condensation between the two layers.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#10 User is offline   Tribs 

• Real men use 12 grams
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:43 AM

Spray bottle when at the field, rinse it well under a faucet when at home. I stay away from rags or cloths, they always smear whatever on my lense. My lenses always airdry nicely, and the spray bottle is good at getting paint off.

#11 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:49 AM

I've never had trouble with using a touch of dawn dish soap in my spray bottle of water. Cleans up the paint really well. First wipe is with a soft cloth, second wipe is with microfiber. Works wonders.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#12 User is offline   Hurricane 

• Play Hard, Play Smart
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheHurricane

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

To be honest, to me my lenses are my most precious equipment and i take dear care of them.

I bring 3 identical lenses to the field in this case if i do get gog'd i can swap lenses without worrying about cleaning on the fly. This also provides me with a perfect chance to clean the lens really well. I use ONLY water and i let it AIR dry. if you use a spray bottle set it to the hard setting or single stream of water flowing from it (Water will not ruin your lens) From there i use the water to blast away debris and paint and such. And letting it air dry leaves no chance of scratches from a cloth.

As for storage i made my own small lens bags out of micro-fiber cloths that i ONLY use as storage.

I Know, I Know - Im anal about my lenses.
Team Brute Force
Generously Sponsored By:
Planet Eclipse | PnL Paintball | Valken | Visions Edge | Exalt | Energy Batteries

#13 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

View Postslowerpig81, on Jun 10 2009, 01:17 AM, said:

View PostWarpaint, on Jun 9 2009, 08:52 PM, said:

Where? Thermal lenses I've not seen cheaper than $20.

Single lenses from $10 and thermals from $15.

http://www.tippmannparts.com/Single-and-Th...Lenses-s/23.htm
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   splntercell 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:splntercell

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:43 PM

I buy microfiber rags in the automotive department at walmart. There like 8 or so rags for around 5 bucks. I only use microfibers to clean my lens at the field, one wipe straight a cross to clear all the buildup then fold and buff off any residue. Then when i get home i just through all the rags i used in with my pb cloths.

#15 User is offline   Florentine 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:24 PM

I personally use a paper towel only. I clean off the paint with a towel, then take the paper towel and rub the lense until its clean. Always works for me. No streaking, no smudges, no nothing. Plus its easier to use than adding water or spray stuff.
Hey baby, wanna come over to myspace so i can twitter your yahoo till I google all over your facebook?
Feedback

Becc: "I'm not really a vegetarian, I eat some forms of sausage."

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users