Special Ops Paintball: Flatline vs. Straightline - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Flatline vs. Straightline What would you use? Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

Poll: Flatline or Straightline or Apex? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you prefer to use as a Broadsword?

1. Flatline (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

2. Straightline (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

3. Apex (12 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Caissey 

• Mmm Tasteeos Rock
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Tasteeos

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

What would you prefer to use as a Broadsword?

Give a reason as to why you would use the option you chose.

This post has been edited by Caissey: 10 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

#2 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:27 AM

Between the two I would probably go with the Staightline. But to be honest, I'm not a big fan of either.

A lot of people are distracted by the increased range of the Flatline. However, that extra range it gives you is not really practical. It doesn't give you any more effective range - meaning at any given distance a paintball's velocity is the same no matter what barrel it is shot out of. Paintballs aren't likely to break on target past 150 feet, most any good shots take place under 100 feet. Both distances can easily be reached by a standard barrel. The advantage of a Flatline is simply a flatter trajectory, you don't have to learn how to arch your shots. However, if that's what you're looking for an Apex can do the same thing while being a whole lot less harsh on paint and is compatible with multiple other barrels. It's also adjustable.

The Straightline is a barrel pretty much entirely based on marketing. Don't fall for the hype. Rifling has proven to be ineffective on paintballs (well except for Tiberius' new hot shot paintballs) The quality isn't that great for what you pay. The back pieces are incredibly short for a control bore. They don't do much more than hold the ball in place before it shoots - which isn't an issue on breech fed markers like Tippmanns.

I would probably get either one of Lapco's single piece barrels or their Snapshot if given the choice. Either that or a double ported Palmer's brass barrel depending on the marker it goes on. If you're not looking to spend much, CP's one piece barrels are very nicely made for the price.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#3 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:82ndx

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:42 AM

Out of the two I would go w/ Flatline. It improves distances, adds backspin and all that jazz which isn't the biggest deal but can come in handy. Overall the Flatline isn't really that bad of a barrel. The Straightline is too long at 16", which makes it cumbersome and low on air efficiency. Plus as Piller has said the whole rifling thing of the Straightline is a gimmick.

I also agree w/ Piller by saying I would go with something else all together...

#4 User is offline   Guy In Digi Camo 

• The Forum Authority On Alaska- pm me if you have any ?'s
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Guy In Digi Camo

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

Using Model 98s for most of my paintball carreer i found that the Model 98 flatline was a nice barrel but was too much of a hassle to clean breaks so i didnt use them

For the Broadsword position I would reccomend the Flatline because it gives a little bit more of an effective range and witht the flat trajectory you, as was said, dont have to arc shots. That means you can effectively pound a position from a distance and have a decent amount of aiming you can do.

One other benefit i see is that most people, experienced players, can track a paintball shot from medium to long range, I found that when i was bein shot at by a flatline that the shots sem to be slower but they really werent, this is because they follow a flatter trajectory, so it makes people stick themselves out more becasue they think they can effectively keep track of the balls, which i wasnt able to do all that well

the whole rifling thing is kind of gimmecky, i wouldnt reccomend the straightline barrel since theres way better barrels for that price out there. For 110$ you can get the deadly wind whisper barrel that takes Freak Inserts.

Overall I think you would be a happy with a smooth bore 14" barrel vs the flatline or rifled barrels, because theyre easier to clean and, depending on the bore, arent very picky with paint.

Some barrels I reccomend for under 120 are
-Lapco barrels
-Deadly Wind
-Invert Nightstick
-Freak barrels
-CP barrels
-Rap4's new barrel, it works pretty good for the price
-Apex
Going to be in Alaska check out my up to date post where you can get your questions answeredAlaska

#5 User is offline   jim762 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:jim762

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

My wife uses the straightline, because it was cheap. we got it from a team mate.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't!
Sponsored by: Urban Ops Armory

#6 User is offline   wyatt 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:WILKERSON

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

flatline. never has let me down... also looks cool... but ive never used a straight line... il prolly buy one to compare and so i can get a new forarm for my x7 :)
some guy: hit hit hit, ouch im already out
jacob: who got you
some guy: mr trigger happy
me: sorry i was blind firing with full auto

#7 User is offline   FutureSteve 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

I have never used a flatline but I use the apex dialed all the way up most of the time I play. It gives you 100 extra feet your paintballs will burst on someone. The draw back is that you need to crono at 250-260 and when you use no back spin for close targets you have sucky accuracy and power. I plan on getting a lapco 12" big shot barrel that is apex ready for a good balance. For broadsword apex or flatline is better in my opinion.

#8 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

I would choose the Flatline because although it isnt very accurate, that added distance is kinda nice. Ive used the straightline too and it had average distance, good accuracy, but it was chopping all over the place. People are compelled to like it because of its true rifle technology :panzer: , but many experianced players know that Rifleing doesn't do anything to a paintball because its round. Its a good barrel, I would put my money towards the flatline.

~~The Horde~~ :evil:
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#9 User is offline   Caissey 

• Mmm Tasteeos Rock
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tasteeos

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

I added a poll choice, Apex.

Would a moderator be able to change to thread title to;

Flatline, Straightline, or Apex?

#10 User is offline   tuflehundon 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:tuflehundon

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

I would go with an APEX barrel. You get the best of both worlds that way. And you can get a Lapco barrel adaptor and add it to almost any barrel. I have mine on my 14" front for my Red's Pepper Stix.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   SWATORNOT 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:MONITOR

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

I will chime in on this...don't pass out folks I am just here to help lol

If you have read my flatline how-to thread here, or even the article published in RECON about longer barrels and air consumption, you will understand I have had a wide range of experience with barrels in general. I was a big supporter of the flatline barrel (and still am), but they are a tedious piece of gear to use. A lot of factors from day to day, the environment you are playing in, and the paint being used make the barrel more of a "seasoned player's" choice. The flatline barrel is great for suppressive blasts because you can get a fairly "direct" shot or area of suppression on the opposing player/players to hold them back while a team member manuevers into a better position. This is great for the quck acquisition of a target/s instead of having to arc the shots to basically "rain" paint down on the opposing team.

There is a pro and con for this however. With the arcing of shots you can shoot over parts of the playing field that may block a straight shot to the opposing player/s. IMHO though, this style of play, though very effective at times, can seriously inhibit the player's ability to learn basic manuevering skills. This is often times a judgement call, but from back in my playing days you could easily be eliminated by the other player/s taking a straight shot from another angle (and I often was for the same mistake).

You will need to sit back and think where you spend 75-80% of your playing style at in the field in order to make the best "fitted" decision on a barrel for you. A lot of times the broadsword is usually just suppressive support, but at times may need to be brought up closer to the "front line" to assist in defending a push from the opposition. If your general range of shots taken is from 60-70ft or more, than I would suggest a flatline barrel, or the apex. If you take the majority of shots/engage the opposition in a closer range then a simple barrel kit would suffice just fine.

Unless you have the time, patience, and money for the proper paint that will work for you, I would suggest other options such as a good barrel kit. I am sure there are still plenty of the great kits available that will work. I am unsure (as I have been away for quite some time), but I remember a while back that members were fitting the Apex tip to barrel kits as well to give the versatility of both a flatline type barrel and a regular.
<div align="center"><b><a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=79662" target="_blank">How-To: Flatline Barrel</a> <a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=79663" target="_blank">How-To: Polished Internals</a>
<a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=72814&hl=How-To" target="_blank">How-To: Vest Care 101</a> <a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=79660" target="_blank">How-To: Start Your Own Team</a> <a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=79661" target="_blank">How-To: Ghillie Mask</a>
<a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=78548" target="_blank">Silencer Laws</a> <a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showforum=61" target="_blank">Forum FAQs</a>
</div></b>

#12 User is offline   Gauss 

• God. Guns. Guts.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

An Apex barrel.
OFFICIAL BROADSWORD RECOGNITION NUMBER: 112
OFFICIAL SABRE RECOGNITION NUMBER: 530
God. Guns. Guts.

#13 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:23 AM

i have an apex m16 style on my 98, i try not to use the curvy crap thing so much unless if there is someone really starting to tick me off.

how ever, i have been having some problems with the front sight... its kinda lose and ive tried moving the shroud up a few times to try and squeeze it so it dont move... so if anyone has any useful tips pm me.

This post has been edited by SO45615: 09 February 2010 - 03:25 AM

Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#14 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:45 AM

View PostSO45615, on Feb 9 2010, 05:23 AM, said:

i have an apex m16 style on my 98, i try not to use the curvy crap thing so much unless if there is someone really starting to tick me off.

how ever, i have been having some problems with the front sight... its kinda lose and ive tried moving the shroud up a few times to try and squeeze it so it dont move... so if anyone has any useful tips pm me.

Tighten the screws??? Keep it on setting 3 for the best and most consistant performance. That's how I like it, and the way I like it is the way it destroys opposing players.

#15 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:01 AM

hey .. QTF .... i turned left at the lounge and wound up here ? damn new visuals in the "todays active topics" search ...

oh well, i am here so lets start the par-tay .. lol

i wouldn't choose any of these. the rifling in the barrel of the straightline is great .... if you're gonna shoot marbles. paintballs are not exact, and fluctuate wildly, not only in size, but in roundness .... is that a word ? it blends a lotta paint, so keep your swabby handy

the apex and the flatline are useless in anything except factory ball, or barnyard play. if you are trying to use it on a speedball field, forget it. don't need the distance, and an apex, you just don't have time to make the barrel adjustments cause you are balls to the wall in a 5 minute shootout, and again, the distance is not needed.
if woodsball is your game. it is too hard to calculate all the twigs, leaves, branches, tall grass that is gonna make that "long shot" stay true. hell, there are thingies hanging down from the branches and trees that you can't even see that make your shot go awry and now you have just given away your pposition. not ot metion that if your "long shot" does make it to the target through all of the hidden foilage, will it have enough velocity on it at that point to still break, or will it bounce ?

now in factory ball ( an old building that is used for paintball now ), and in a farm field with lots of open space, both the apex and the flatline are great barrels ... i have owned both barrels, and have sold them both because of their limitations .... but i do hafta say ... they DO look cool. i have played with a straightline for a few games and had a lot of problems

but then again, this is just my opinion

how the heck do i get back to the lounge ?? :welcome:

This post has been edited by klaatu: 09 February 2010 - 07:26 AM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users