• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recommended Barrels (SP1)?

#1 User is offline   mstrchef117 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

Can any one recommend good barrels for my marker? Preferably under 50 (at most 85 [Lapco Apex]) bucks. I was looking at SP Tacticals, J&J Ceramics, and the APEX (Lapco version, since I heard the stock barrel for the BT Apex sucks). Any other suggestions and tips on purchasing barrels would be appreciated. Thanks

This post has been edited by mstrchef117: 06 February 2009 - 01:22 PM

#2 User is offline   Nom Carver 

• My browser PWNS yours!!!
  • PipPip

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

Well, comparing the APEX to other barrels is like comparing apples to oranges. With the Apex you can tune it to hook your shots around bunkers or curve downward, whereas regular barrels just shoot straight. If you want accuracy, I would stay away from the Apex simply because you will have to tune it to get it to shoot straight. I would suggest getting a CP (Custom Products) 1-piece barrel. For $30 its a great barrel and it comes in Impulse threads, which I believe are the threads that the SP-1 takes. As far a bore size goes (the internal diameter of the barrel) there is a debate going on right now as to whether under boring (meaning that your barrel's bore is smaller than your paintballs) or over boring (the opposite of under boring) produces more accuracy. I personally am on the fence. On one hand all of the pros use over bored barrels, but on the other hand Punk Works (look em up on Youtube) says that under boring seems to work better. I'd say, just to be safe, go with a CP 14 inch, .693 barrel. Here is a link to the CP web page for that barrel. Looking at the SP tactical barrels, they all seem kind of long, but if you want the whole mil-sim barrel, definitely go with a 16 inch. They don't really tell you what the bore size is so I can't help you there. I have heard very good things about J&J barrels, one of those things being that it is very easy to shoot through any paint in the barrel that may be from a barrel break. So after all of that, I'd recommend the CP for over all performance, the SP if you want the mil-sim look, and the J&J if you're worried about barrel breaks. Oh and I'd try to avoid the Apex unless you want to be able to tune your shots.

EDIT: On actionvillage.com, the only other Lapco barrel threaded for the SP-1 is the Big Shot. I don't know much about that barrel other than that it has a big bore. I would suggest looking on pbreview.com at the different barrels that you want and base your decision off of what you are looking for and what people on there have to say.

This post has been edited by Nom Carver: 06 February 2009 - 02:01 PM

(\__,,
( x x) <--- This is Bunny if I see him in one more signature...
(")_ -==(")
Dear Tippmann, Clamshells suck. Signed, Friggin everybody - F-3
feedback My How to paint snakeskin how-to; OMG!!!

#3 User is offline   trustme 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tippywoodsballin

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:29 PM

I am a firm believer in the APEX I feel it gives you everything you could ask for in a barrel. Now with that being said I bought the lapco barrel and put the APEX on it and in my opinion its a great one two punch.
setups=BT TM-7, Double Trigger, Lapco 12" apex ready, Apex barrel, Rotor
Infinity legend, 68/45, cp reg, new designz asa

#4 User is offline   deltapaintball 

• Josh Foote
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:deltapaintball

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

Freak back with a All American Front. Simply the best combo barrel choice.
Coming soon.

#5 User is offline   Mechanical Jester 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical Jester

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

View Postdeltapaintball, on Feb 8 2009, 09:24 PM, said:

Freak back with a All American Front. Simply the best combo barrel choice.

Plus, there is an All-American tip for the Freak kit that accepts Apex tips. That is a better combo than the Lapco/Apex.
Team Alter Ego
Proudly supported by:Designer Paintball, Tanks Paintball, Tadao Technologies, Understood, Acid Customs , and MobileTech Paintball

#6 User is offline   mstrchef117 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:53 AM

The Freak kits seems to be quite pricey. Almost 100 for some of them. Any thoughts over J&J, Lapco and CP one pieces?

#7 User is offline   deltapaintball 

• Josh Foote
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:deltapaintball

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:04 AM

It may seem pricy, but you get the paint to bore match which will make your marker shoot more accuratly.
Coming soon.

#8 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:17 AM

If you're on a budget, buy a 14" .685 CP Classic one piece. Under boring won't break anymore paint then over boring will and it will make your marker more efficient and consistent as well.

#9 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

CP One Piece barrels are definitely the nicest in their price range. A 10'' .689 is what I would consider ideal, but it's mostly personal preference.

Above that I would recommend looking at single piece Lapco barrel or Palmer's Brass. They both have a long standing reputation for their high quality. Both can be fitted with an Apex later down the road if you don't want to buy the Apex right away.

If you were looking for a kit I would suggest Lapco's snapshot over the Freak kit. Snapshots are one of the few barrel kits that don't sell you short on the back section (literally) and give you a full 8'' back piece. Being that the back piece is bored out of solid aluminum and not tubing it has a more consistent bore size. The tip has very little to do with how paint shoots through it, the paintball doesn't even touch the tip.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#10 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

Cockerpunk, over on TechPB, has done testing and found that 14" is the ideal length for efficiency and that under boring is more consistent and efficient as well.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users