1. Once you get the Ion, stick with just the marker and a barrel at first, then upgrade to a QEV, feedneck, and a trigger. Later, go for the other, more expensive upgrades.
2. QEV= Quick Exhaust Valve. When you fire, the only thing happening is pressurized air in front of the bolt is vented off through the solenoid and the pressurized air behind the bolt pushes it forward, firing the ball. All the QEV does is vent off half the air through it's valve, which means the air vents off faster, cutting your minimum potential dwell time in half. Basically, it helps with faster cycling and air efficiency.
3. An agitated hopper is probably a good upgrade when you are firing above 12 bps, which is one of the strong points of a speedball marker. It's not a necessity, and you don't have to worry about choping with the Ion, but I highly reccomend it.
4. The best feedneck is a Q-Lock, but it is a little bit expensive ($35). It's totally worth it though: it's pretty much indestructible and holds a wide range of hoppers. Some cheaper feednecks have weak threads that strip easily, so try to stay away from feednecks that do not have a good reputation. Check out pbreview.com for reviews on common Ion feednecks.
5. The stock Ion reg is a very good reg. It's pretty consistent and problem-free. Don't worry about getting a reg anytime soon.
6. The Ion comes with a break-beam vision system, a very reliable and effective eye system. My Ion has seen 32,000 paintballs. Not a single one has chopped. The eyes are great. Don't worry about getting aftermarket eyes unless you have spare cash and want to have eyes that emit pretty colors.
7. The stock board is pretty good; it has ramping, 3-shot burst, semi, and full-auto. 3-shot burst and full-auto are limited to 10 bps, while semi and ramping are limited to 17 bps. Dwell and ROF are fully adjustable.
Take note that the Ion has a potential of shooting around 20 bps without a QEV, and up to 30 bps with a QEV and a good bolt. The only restricting factor is the cap on the board (17 bps max). If you get a Virtue board, a good bolt, and a good QEV, you can shoot up to 30 bps with the Ion. Some people have gotten them up to 32 bps, and one person even got it up to 37 bps. The video is on PbN and YouTube.
This post has been edited by Philipp122: 11 November 2007 - 03:28 PM