• You cannot reply to this topic

14" what? what to put on my a-5 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Visagoth 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:King Alaric

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:17 PM

I want to get a good barrel 14"ins feels nice but what brand model has good proformance at a resnable price?

#2 User is offline   Spartan3000 

• Hurt's So Good
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:BIGCHEWIE

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

First off, welcome to the forums.

Best "bang for the buck" barrel would probably be a J&J Ceramic. It's cheap (about $30 most places), pretty accurate, and fairly quiet. Next up from there would be either a Stiffi or a Palmers Brass. Both are closer to the $100 range and are suppossed to be (according to a ton of reviews and recommendations on this forum and others) very accurate and very quite. Also if your looking for a barrel kit I would recommend either the J&J Edge kit (runs about $80 or so) or the Smart Parts Freak Kit (runs about $150).

What marker do you have/going to get? That would help norrow things down a bit.

Sniper #28
98 Custom Pro, 14" J&J Ceramic w/ BT Apex tip, CAR stock, OpsGear M82A1 shroud, E-Trigger, Halo B, Palmers Stab, Rocket Cock II
Team Devils Brigade - Welcome to Hell

#3 User is offline   Visagoth 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:King Alaric

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

I have an A-5

#4 User is offline   Spartan3000 

• Hurt's So Good
  • Pip

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

Yeah i just noticed the subtitle on the thread. If your looking to spend just a little money the J&J is the way to go. If you don't mind spending a little more (about $80 or so) get the PPS Brass from Palmers Pursuit Shop.

www.palmer-pursuit.com

To get the 14" you'll have to go the the A-5 barrel with custom options item at the bottom of the page and select your barrel length, color (I'd recommend black unless you want everyone on the field to know where you are), bore size (i'd go for the .690 bore as it will be a good match to most medium to high grade paint), and porting (for a tippmann porting is almost useless unless you make a lot of effort to silence the rest of the gun too).

Hope this helps.

Sniper #28
98 Custom Pro, 14" J&J Ceramic w/ BT Apex tip, CAR stock, OpsGear M82A1 shroud, E-Trigger, Halo B, Palmers Stab, Rocket Cock II

#5 User is offline   Dermeister 

• The_Masterer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dermeister

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

id go with a kit.
if you play at a field, they're paint may change, and not fit your barrel good anymore.

Also, if it does stay the same, and it doesnt fit well, your not going to be very accurate.

I have an empire 10 pc barrel kit (about 50-60) bucks. I love it. Bang for the Buck indeed.

This Is Where We FIGHT!
S.O.F.A Special Ops Forums are Awesome #2 & CEO

#6 User is offline   Spartan3000 

• Hurt's So Good
  • Pip

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:10 PM

Yeah kit would be a good idea, but I'd go with the J&J Edge kit. It might be a bit more than the Empire but it is a better barrel overall. Action Village has it for $72.00

J&J Edge Kit

Edit: Link

This post has been edited by Spartan3000: 20 July 2007 - 06:17 PM

Sniper #28

#7 User is offline   Dermeister 

• The_Masterer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dermeister

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:58 PM

^very good choice.

I just grabbed the Empire for mad cheap one day on ebay. I got it for like 20 bucks before shipping.

I love J&J. I have their ceramic 14 in. really worth it.

This Is Where We FIGHT!
S.O.F.A Special Ops Forums are Awesome #2 & CEO

#8 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:24 PM

get one of those smart parts linear. barrel its 14' 39 Canadian. and works like a charm. I'v got that one for my 98C. it comes in a A-5 thread also. and its put up with my abuse.

#9 User is offline   G36C 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:G36C

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:48 AM

stiffi
j&j
palmers brass
A5 I Opsgear SAW Shroud I Opsgear SAW Drum Mag I Opsgear SAW Stock I Opsgear 16" M4 Barrel I APE v2.0 Egrip I Techted Cyclone I Polished Internals I X7 Hopper I Tasco 30mm Red Dot I Palmers A5 Stabilizer I Tiberius Arms Fore Grip I

#10 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:15 AM

View PostEskimo, on Aug 15 2007, 01:24 AM, said:

get one of those smart parts linear. barrel its 14' 39 Canadian. and works like a charm. I'v got that one for my 98C. it comes in a A-5 thread also. and its put up with my abuse.

14 feet? Wow, long barrel. You must an uber 1337 snipzor with that. :laugh:

Like they said, for cheap barrels, a J&J Ceramic can't be beat. For a bit more, a Lapco Bigshot is pretty good as well. For a bit more than that you could get a Palmers Brass barrel, which IMO is the best barrel on the market. Kits are alright. From what I've seen, with really good paint, the Brass and kits shoot about the same accuracy. With only decent paint, the kits start to lose accuracy while the brass till maintains superior accuracy.

EDIT: And Carbon Fiber barrels are 100% hype. They claim to be quieter than any other barrel, but a recent test showed that the Palmers Brass barrel with dual spiral venting is quieter. All Carbon Fiber barrels are is a liability. Decreased durability for hype.

This post has been edited by Jackson: 04 September 2007 - 07:17 AM

#11 User is offline   ~Shifty~ 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:~Shifty~

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:22 AM

This may be kind of a newb question but..

In barrel kits, why is only the first few inches of the barrel the only part that is changeable in its bore-size? Wouldn't a barrel kit that came with a few whole barrels in varrying bores be more effective in gaining accuracy?

Or is the only thing that effects the accuracy the first few inches of the barrel?

#12 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:31 AM

View Post~Shifty~, on Sep 5 2007, 10:22 AM, said:

This may be kind of a newb question but..

In barrel kits, why is only the first few inches of the barrel the only part that is changeable in its bore-size? Wouldn't a barrel kit that came with a few whole barrels in varrying bores be more effective in gaining accuracy?

Or is the only thing that effects the accuracy the first few inches of the barrel?

That's a good question. And a good argument against most barrel kits. I believe tests have shown that you need 8-10" to get the ball up to speed effectively and efficiently. The last few inches beyond that are for porting. With most barrel kits, you really only have 6" or less of barrel then a big fancy ported tip at a larger bore. Then there's the Hammerhead kit that has something like a 1.5" insert...

Lapco still sells a kit with 3 barrels of varying bore size, .684, .687, and .689. IMO, if you are going to get into the barrel kit craze, then that's what I would get.

This post has been edited by Jackson: 05 September 2007 - 07:31 AM

#13 User is offline   ~Shifty~ 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:~Shifty~

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

Do you think its worth it to get the J&J Edge Elite Barrel system that comes with 3 lengths (10", 12", and 14") and 5 backs (.682, .685, .688, .691, and .693)?

Or would I be fine going with the Allstar one that has 2 lengths (12" and 14") and 5 backs (.685, .688, .691, and .693)?

The Edge is usually $100.00 or so, and the Allstar is about 75-90 (lots of places to buy ether at +/- $10-$15 and whats wierd is they arn't all the same package)

#14 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

The best barrel for your money is the J&J Ceramic. My friend/roommate has one on his A-5, and it is excellent-quiet, accurate and shoots through breaks wonderfully.
As for the other recommendations, I have a Typhoon (Which has a 11" Brass barrel) and a Stiffi Switch kit for my Superstock, and I'm very happy with both. The Stiffi kit is excellent-dead accurate, although it can't shoot through breaks quite as well as the J&J. Can't really comment on the brass relative to the A-5, but I know a lot of people who do have them, and they're all very happy with them as well.

#15 User is offline   Terriss 

• I am the ghillie cowboy.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Terriss

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

J&J Ceramic, others have mentioned, but my 2 cents just proves that its a good choice.

98% of teenagers have tried pot. If your the 2% who havent, put this in your sig.

Writer's Unite! Join the UFWU! (Unofficial Facebook Writer's Union).

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users