Special Ops Paintball: VL Evolution 2 - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

VL Evolution 2 its nickname of egg isn't just refering to the shape.... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Razgriez 

• Squad Wardog
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Razgriez

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

Well heres the review

first specs

Hopper type, Eltronic Force feed hopper (propeller feeds balls directly into the feed neck
loading dectection system (how does it detect when to feed) : IR "eye"beam in feed neck detects when theirs paintballs in the neck.
Average capacity: 190-200 rounds
Batterys: 2x 9V
Feed rate 13-17 with standerd Y board ( adjustible)/ Z board Upgrade up to 21 BPS (used only Y board for the purpose of easy review)

now for the actually review part

Profile (on a 98 custom) 6-7 (depends on marker)/10 - amazingly enough, due to the fact that feed neck is placed at the front and has aslight bend to further increase this, it helps decrease its profile. so instead of sitting high on a marker it sits much closer to it, however due to the fact that its wider than most hoppers (the electonics are placed directly under where the paintballs are held instad of behind and under) this slightly increases the profile. other wise its ok.

feeding capability 10/10 - this is the highest point of the hopper, the only time its not loaded a ball when i need it to is when i forget to either reload or turn it on. its adjustable fire rate is another bonus, if you need to save batterys or don't need it to load so fast just drop it down, if you need it feeding your ammo hungry marker turn it all the way up. The force feed system is another good thing, and the eye helps make sure it loads if it needs it or stops so it doesn't go over board.

Durability 2/10- its strong enough to take a paintball impact and thats about it, trust me one of its nick names of Egg isn't just referring to its shape, its durability in paintball terms is also true. The battery door will probbaly be the first to go on you. the small tabs that keep it close will probbaly also break, other damge mine has suffered is a cracked feed neck (wear and tear, one of my team mates accidently forgetting to lossen the feed neck screw on the marker) and a small bulge that houses one of the screws that keeps the 2 shell halves together (proving if something is going to stop you from using something its useually very small, cheap, and very important)

Design flaws- more than their should be- aside from a weak battery door, theirs too much tension caused by the contact point prongs to the battery contact points, thus making the door hard to close and keep closed. this coupled by the latches in the main part of the shell are way too small in my opinion to keep it closed

Overall rating 6/10 - if you got the money and patience to be constantly repairing this then go ahead and buy this, if not, Look for a different hopper.

Razgriez

This post has been edited by Razgriez: 27 June 2006 - 08:25 PM

#2 User is offline   tippmann117 

• Pballer for life
  • PipPip

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:48 PM

does it continuasly(sp) spin?

#3 User is offline   hunter6999999999999999 

• Don't be jealous of me because I have more posts than you
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:hunter69

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:54 PM

no it has break beam senors

#4 User is offline   Razgriez 

• Squad Wardog
  • Pip

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

That was my bad I didn't make it clear enough in the last sentence in the loading capability.

It uses an IR "eye" or Break beam that tells the hopper to stop feeding However as with all break beams if it senses the beam is broken by any large enough sized object it will stop feeding (Paintball, fingers etc etc)

This post has been edited by Razgriez: 23 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

#5 User is offline   ION KING 

• Bow down to the king!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tippmann A-5 player

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:33 PM

there is one thing my egg, when ever you turn it down to the slowest it goes. It jams alot.
current WWII reenactment funds $260/ total gear NONE

#6 User is offline   snyper06 

• just a bush and nothing more
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow.

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:26 PM

i've had any problems with my egg, nvr broke paint, and nothing on it broke, but alas i upgraded to a halo b
I'd rather throw paint than shoot a tippmann

IPB Image
IPB Image

#7 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:30 PM

Overall an excellent review. The only part I might disagree with is the part about durabilty. Ive had an Evo2 on my Ion for a few months now & havnt had a problem like you described yet. Maybe I just got lucky, or you just got a bad egg.

#8 User is offline   hunter6999999999999999 

• Don't be jealous of me because I have more posts than you
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:hunter69

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:32 PM

I have dropped mine in a ditch and it fill up with water,all i had to do was clean and dry it off with a towel and it still works fine.

#9 User is offline   Razgriez 

• Squad Wardog
  • Pip

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

Well others might have better luck than I did, like I said, its basically hit or miss. You either love it or have better luck than I did, (or patience to repair it) or you might have better luck with something else.

#10 User is offline   Pneumaniac227 

• Certified Pump Paintball Crash Dummy
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:10 PM

My experiences with the VL Evolution 2 are all negative. First, every single one I've ever seen has been totaled, and barely working, of which one I repaired. Next, they are extremely loud loaders. I have also seen the feed neck on a VL Evolution just break in the middle of the game. It just fell off, and seeing all these bad things about VL products makes me inclined to steer away from them.

This post has been edited by Pneumaniac227: 05 July 2006 - 05:34 PM

Digi Camo Program Web Dog Radio The Whiteboard
"Hype, cease and desist orders, and lawsuits are ruining our sport" club member #4
My Feedback (+8/-0) My Stuff For Sale!!! My Website
"The Ironmen though, are like the Yankees. I dont really care for them, but I would still place a bet on them." -ghostinthewood

#11 User is offline   UV Halo 

• Blacklight Baller
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:UV Halo

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:08 PM

While in my first set of batteries (never removed after I put them in), the tabs that hold the battery door shut broke, one at a time. It's currently being held shut by a wrapping of electrical tape. I've taken very good care of my hopper (I painted the shell before using, and there is still not a scratch on the paint). I agree with i Razgriez in that the battery contacts push down too hard on the batteries and can cause the tabs to break. But, other than that, my hopper has been fine.

I'm picking up a new one and this time around, I'm going to try to pre-stress the contacts, and see how it works.

#12 User is offline   The_Flank_Man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:The_Flank_Man

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:59 AM

from what ive seen the egss arent too bad.. but they arent anything great either... if you have to egg turned faster than your gun will shoot.. then it likes to jam up.. or break paint.. and ive actually seen a blade on the propeller just snap right off when feeding.. and thats never a good thing.. but really.. you get what ya pay for right? its kinda a mid range loader.. with mid range performance. save your money.. buy a vlocity.. or a halo..but halos are kinda weak too.. so just buy a vlocity.. they are the best.

#13 User is offline   WoodsBallGeneral 

• Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:FurianSabre

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:05 PM

After reading similar reviews, I used black cloth athletic tape to completely wrap mine. I suppose it helps some with noise reduction (I did it in and out) and it also adds a lot to the structural integrity. So, no problems yet.
Oderint dum Metuant
'let them hate, so long as they fear'

#14 User is offline   Craig Niland 

• Penguin the 'Cocker owner
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

If you've ever read the reviews at pbreview.com/ (in my sig) alot of people complain about durability issues. Like you said, the battery door and feed necks are bigs ones. Others issures arise, like the lid cracking because the springs are way to strong on it, or the shell cracking from a drop/paintball impact.
I decided against buying one, despite a great deal at actionvillage.com/. Eggy for $60 bucks, and a free JT jersey with it too.
I've decided to go for the Richochet Apache LED for $85. 17-19 BPS, lightest high speed loader on the market.
For now, I'm using a Revy, which I haven't had any problems with, aside from a small crack developing in the feedneck. Even though the piece of the feedneck finally cracked off, I still managed to use it untill the other half went with it as a result. I finally bought two new halfs. But they're only $6 bucks each.
End of ranting.

#15 User is offline   Razgriez 

• Squad Wardog
  • Pip

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:39 AM

Ok now for all purpose of Fairness Im doing a quick update, Comparing it to another Hopper that can also hit 17-19 BPS, The Rico Apache.

Remember heres the things for the Evo2,
Pros- great feed capability , sits relatively low to the marker, can be upgraded to load even faster. Excelent battery life.

Cons- Odd profile is large and wide., Poor durability (especially at the battery door), May require to some impromptu "ghetto" rigging (tape to keep door shut) weird way of reloading, doesn't let you simply place the pod on completely vertical for fast loading. Loud when running out of ammo. Lid hard to sometimes get open if your not using half finger gloves

The Comparison - Rico Apache LED. Test Area- OA Paintball In Bowie MD during Coffee Wars 2. Weather factor, from sunny to about a good rain storm.

Amazingly despite as much as it had rained, the electronics did not fry, However since Ive never played in the rain with my Evo, this has to kinda be tossed out for all fairness.

Durability (both electronics and . I took a couple of dives during the day. combine that with all the mud and dirt, number of paintballs breaking from swelling up it was a fair amount of 1 day abuse and not a single problem the batterys also stayed perfectly in place because of the way they are held in is alot better than the Evo 2s battery door.

Loading ability- while not having force feed, it still worked great. it kept up just fine. Didn't have any double loading problems.

Profile, it does seem to sit a little high, but that may be just me using this instead of the Evo2. unfortunetly I never did seem to see Rico's Deflection Engineering at work, as it seems my opponets were doing just fine aiming for my body.

Reloading. this was very easy to do with this in comparison to the Evo2, definetly a one handed opertation that was way quicker.

Misc stuff- For scenarios, you might have one slight problem, this thing shuts off automactically after 20 minutes of non use, this could be bad if you don't realize it and when you go to fire you find out its firing.

End result, when comparing the 2 I have to say the win goes to the Apache, the number of flaws with this seem to be far less than the Evo 2. Still Ill hold to it that the Evo 2 is definetly a hit or miss product, you either will work through its flaws and like it, or you will hate it and will probbaly do better with something else. Still the Evo2 does work very well for Speedball so you might want to consider it if you have a dedicated speed ball marker or play woods and Speed equally.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users