• You cannot reply to this topic

I'm a beginner. Just wantint some tips. Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   DAH-VEED 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:DAH-VEED

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:02 AM

I'm a beginner who has played paintball a couple of times for church activities.I looked at a Tippmann 98 custom for my first gun and was wondering if it was true that it was the best.
Also, my friend and I want to start our own team and I would like to hear some tips on how to do so.

Thank you.

#2 User is offline   Kingman Tech 

• Kingman Tech
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

First off, welcome! Great sport, but it'll get expensive.

For a beginner, a tippy 98 will be a great choice. I started with it. It was good, just get a new barrel first. It'll help your accuracy by at elast 50%.

Dont start a team until you play have get the playing skill down.

-KT
Pump user #121
Spyder user #97

Feedback +1/-0

#3 User is offline   DAH-VEED 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:23 AM

Thank you...which barrel do you reccomend?

#4 User is offline   lethalpanther 

• OOO a lizard!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:lethalpanther1

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

First off, the 98 is NOT the best gun. However, its an excellent place to start. If you wanna put in a few extra bucks, you can get an A-5, and just tape up the porting on the barrel. The accuracy improves a bunch, and youll get a cyclone!(tipp.98+barrel costs around as much as a stock a-5).
As for the team, just play around at your local field. Try and get some basic teamwork skills and after a while of playing you can start recruiting friends or others at your field.
Rembember, the important thing is that its just a game. You play it to have fun, so dont overreact and stuff.
It's only a game, you don't need to be afaid of anyone, except for ONE person. Its not the teenager with a marker worth more than your car. Its not the SPPL player with about 35 BPS firing rate. Its the 40 year old guy lying in a corner, taking a nap before the game begins. His camo will probably be old, and he will most likely be toting a pump. He's been playing since before you were born, and if he mentions how much he didn't like when he had to play with oil based paintballs, make SURE he is on your team. This guy is a ghost.-Match99
Your grace...Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar died. - Ser Jorah Mormont

#5 User is offline   LoopyDood 

• Evacuate the Earth
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

In many people's opinions, the 98 Custom is not the best. It is relatively pricey, badly made, and you pretty much need to upgrade it for it to perform up to standard. Even after pouring an additional $300 worth of performance upgrades into it, it will never perform as well, be as light/small, or look better than a marker that costs around $450, or even $250. Tippmann's quality control has also come way down over the past few years.

Maintenance is also a hassle. Just to separate the clamshells (The body) you need to undo 6 screws. After separating the clamshells, several small parts like to fly out and get lost. Give yourself 10 minutes to take it apart and clean it even after you get good at it.

Much better and cheaper alternatives to the 98 exist. For example, a similar but better and higher quality marker called the BT4 can be had for $100 instead of $150, and that's almost enough in savings to buy a cheap HPA tank or a great electronic hopper which are major performance upgrades. Even old Tippmanns are better made, waaay cheaper, and perform better than today's.

#6 User is offline   schu1tz 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:27 AM

You are going to hear this a million times, there is no such thing as "best gun". It is all personal preference. If you guy a 98, don't go all out crazy modding it before you even use it. Get used to how it shoots and what you think your play style is. Then go guy upgrades that are useful to you. As for team stuff, make sure you find people who are committed to actually playing regualry. Go to open games together and get a feel for how you guys play together. If eveyone is serious about, then start looking into games where you can compete.

#7 User is offline   DAH-VEED 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:29 AM

also,I have a 2 acre backyard and my mom said i could put some bunker back there...any suggestions?

#8 User is offline   schu1tz 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

There have been a few topics about creating a field. Do you a search and you will find some good ideas. It all depends on how much work you are willing to put into it. Also, what natural cover/concealment there is will make a difference in how you lay everything out.

#9 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:47 AM

New people, especially young people, shouldn't buy high tech markers. They don't know what they're doing when maintaining them. So a simple blowback is good.

If you stay in the sport you usually get another marker within 2 years. A tippmann, BT-4, Spyder is ok to start for this reason. They are simple, easily stripped, and simple to maintain.

#10 User is offline   DAH-VEED 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:51 AM

ok thanks...what is your side on the 98 custom/a-5 debate?

#11 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

you could probably find a classic valved AutoMag for 150-200. WAYYY better than a 98 for the same price

#12 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

View PostDAH-VEED, on Jul 29 2008, 01:51 PM, said:

ok thanks...what is your side on the 98 custom/a-5 debate?

What debate? The A5 strips easier and has a feeder. The front handle is removeable for shrouds. More barrel selection. Same technology in both.

The A5 is superior but costs more.

This post has been edited by slinkyaroo: 29 July 2008 - 10:55 AM

#13 User is offline   DAH-VEED 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:00 AM

alright.is the A-5 as customizable as the 98c?

#14 User is offline   Epic win 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Yardsalesniper312

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:06 AM

View PostDAH-VEED, on Jul 29 2008, 01:00 PM, said:

alright.is the A-5 as customizable as the 98c?

the a-5 is more customizible i think but dony quote me on that because i may be wrong.

#15 User is offline   lazyeye263 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:lazyeye263

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:31 AM

Welcome to the sport of paintball. Picking your first gun is a tough thing to do. It took me over 2 months to pick my first gun. The main thing when picking your first gun is to think about your personal playing style. For example if you're playing up front then you will most likely want a gun with high rate of fire, or if you play in the back then you would probably want a gun that is very accurate and easy to aim, and is good for longer ranges. I'd personally say, don't go with tippmann. The tippmann company has been getting cheap lately. Their guns are known for durability, but now the quality of their guns has been slipping. For example they have been making 98 customs with more plastic parts because it is cheaper. Their guns aren't built like tanks anymore, but it's not like they're bad guns. They are horrendously over priced though.

I've got 3 suggestions for you...

1. Smart Parts Sp1- this gun is durable, its got a nice milsim look to it, low maintenance, but it devours batteries. You would have to change the batteries in this thing almost every time you play. The rate of fire is about 13 bps which is somewhat low, but most fields don't allow more than 15 bps. It is necessary to use HPA in this gun. Price $175

2. Indian Creek Designs promaster- This is a gun you've probably never heard of. It has a rate of fire of 15 bps on full auto and has 4 firing modes (ramp full auto, semi, ramping, and 3 shot burst). It is very low maintenance and you only have to change the batteries once every few months. It is from a small and not very well known company so it is not as expensive as well known companies such as tippmann, proto etc. It is necessary to use HPA in this gun. Price: $140

3. Tippann U.S. Army Alpha Black- I actually own this gun and I know a lot about, but I'll try not to ramble. It looks like the M4 assault rifle. Its the only gun I've listed that can run on Co2. It has an adjustable stock, an offset hopper so you can aim down the sights and it is incredibly accurate. I can usually hit targets at about 120 feet. It is semi automatic and like all tippmanns, is incredibly loud. Tippmann guns usually come with bad barrels, but this is an exception. A barrel upgrade would still help though. The internals are not so good. The power tube in mine cracked the third day I played (I had only put about a case of paint through it). It's also heavy for a paintball gun, it weighs in at about 5 pounds unloaded. It has a US Army logo on the side which kinda bothers me, but its cheaper because of that. Price: $130

Hope this helps

p.s. Its your choice which gun you pick, but I'd personally get the Indian Creek promaster.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users