• You cannot reply to this topic

Upgrades! help please. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Unstoppable 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Unstoppable

Post icon  Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

Ok so i jus got a new Tippmann 98c camo for my birthday. i also got a new flatline barrel.. im takin it back. it was hell to install. an im jus dissapointed in it. maybe the tippman jus doest shoot fast but if it does that barrel slows it down big time. my neighbor has a spyder it shoots about twice as fast(ball speed) im taking it back..

also im shootin w\a 20oz i shot it like hardly at all an it was out of air.. what do i do?

im thinkin of gettin a stock,RT, and a stiffi 12in barrel.. an other upgrades recomended. to add on to those im gettin or if those are what i should get?

i play woodsball. but would like to get into speedball an have tourneys.

#2 User is offline   JayRecball 

• Ref/Player
  • PipPip

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

maybe the tippman jus doest shoot fast but if it does that barrel slows it down big time. my neighbor has a spyder it shoots about twice as fast(ball speed)

do you know how to adjust your velocity? tippys shoot just as fast as any spyder..

so im shootin w\a 20oz i shot it like hardly at all an it was out of air.. what do i do?

you sure it was full.. large co2 tanks like that will give you a clean few hundred shot

also, if your gettin an RT, get someone to help you with the install.. if you think the flatline was a pain, you'll find the RT a lil more complicated.

otherwise.. welcome to the tippmann crew! a c98 was my first marker and it treated me very well up until the day i sold it. Plus it helps when theres thousands of online resources dedicated to c98s :D

#3 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

Sounds like the velocity was way down and/or maybe your neighbor had his spyders velocity way up over 300fps. As far as only getting only a few shots out of a 20oz, maybe the place that filled it didn't chill it first. A CO2 tank that is filled without being chilled first, by putting some CO2 in it and bleeding it back out to drop the temperature of the tank, will not fill completely and end up giving you like half the shots it should, if not less.

EDIT

A new barrel is the first thing I'd get. After that I suggest using the marker to see how it shoots and if you are going to be getting a stock I recommend running remote.

This post has been edited by Weigel21: 11 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

#4 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

View PostUnstoppable, on Mar 11 2008, 07:39 PM, said:

Ok so i jus got a new Tippmann 98c camo for my birthday. i also got a new flatline barrel.. im takin it back. it was hell to install. an im jus dissapointed in it. maybe the tippman jus doest shoot fast but if it does that barrel slows it down big time. my neighbor has a spyder it shoots about twice as fast(ball speed) im taking it back..

also im shootin w\a 20oz i shot it like hardly at all an it was out of air.. what do i do?

im thinkin of gettin a stock,RT, and a stiffi 12in barrel.. an other upgrades recomended. to add on to those im gettin or if those are what i should get?

i play woodsball. but would like to get into speedball an have tourneys.

Welcome to the World of Paintball New Player...thats right, I can tell right away youre a New Player, because what you posted is what most New Players do, once they get their Hands on a Paint Gun and have no knowledge about how the Gun Operates and what is needed afterwards.

That being said....Before getting any Upgrades, using the Marker in several games will help you determine what Upgrades is needed and at the same time studying how the Internals of a Paint Gun works is crucial in Maintaining and Cleaning it.

As for getting into Tournaments, you have a Ton to Learn before you ever start thinking about joining a Team Event.

#5 User is offline   Unstoppable 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

ok
well.. i havent messed w\the velocity. an neither has my neighbor. my pulled them right out the box...
we both had strykers befor we got these guns. but had to do away because the feedback of air kept bustin the balls in the hopper on those guns

an yes i am a new player. but w\who ive played w\one of the best most def.

#6 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

I would only get a stock if you are having a problem with on-gun air or decide to go remote. 20oz can be pretty big and I can understand if you don't like the feel of one in the standard back bottle setup. If you plan on keeping on-gun air I recommend using a Lapco Drop Stock. It allows you to keep the tank on your marker, but rebalances the tank and gives a more comfortable rest for your shoulder. If you plan on running remote, I recommend taking a look at PMI Gas Through Stocks. They keep the remote hose out of the way and give you something to brace your shoulder against. Mil-Sim themed stocks like the CAR stock and other collapsible stock look cool, but they can be rather impractical. They impair your ability to sight down your marker, and don't really allow you to play tight against your marker. Even if they don't block your sighting ability outright they still get in the way.

Only get an RT if you feel like you are being severely out-gunned. Even so, you should try to re-approach your play style and the likely hood you get into firefights before trying to up your firepower with an RT. Getting an RT is kind of the easy way out. With practice the stock trigger is capable of letting loose plenty of paint. It just takes getting used to the marker and learning the feel of it. It's not worth the added complexity or cost if you don't benefit from it.

Stiffi barrels are alright - they don't come in 98 threads so you will have to get an adapter. A new barrel is one of the few practical modifications for an 98 as the stock barrel is rather poorly crafted and flatlines in my opinion aren't much of an improvement. Personally I don't really like Stiffis. The carbon fiber is rough on the inside and the huge ported section combines to make a rather inefficient barrel. Don't believe the hype that they are more accurate or more quiet. Any barrel that's smooth on the inside will be just as accurate. Likewise, any barrel with a heavy amount of porting will also be similarly quiet. Keep in mind that you're working with an 98, and even with the quietest barrel around it won't single handedly quiet your marker. Their biggest advantage is that they are lightweight so it takes weight off the front end of your marker. When it comes to barrels I recommend sicking with what works - you can go wrong with well crafted metal barrels. I personally like both Lapco's lineup of barrels as well as Palmer's brass barrels. They are long known for their consistent well crafted quality barrels.

The only other "upgrade" or modification that I feel directly improves performance is some form of a regulated air source. straight CO2 has sever problems ranging from inconsistent pressure due to weather, to liquid getting onto the bottle causing hot shots, to rapid firing causing a "shootdown" effect dropping your velocity until the temperature of the bottle restores itself. One option to bypass these problems all together is to purchase a HPA system. HPA is pressure regulated meaning unlike regulated CO2, you get consistent pressure going into the gun no matter the situation. This results in tighter velocities enabling you to get closer to the field limit as well as tighter groupings. The alternative to a HPA system (which I prefer) is a CO2 regulator such as a Palmer's Stabilizer. This gives you the consistency of a HPA system but allows you to keep the shot-size capacity of your CO2 tank and also allows you to take advantage of (usually) cheaper fills.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#7 User is offline   Unstoppable 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:41 PM

i have a barrel for my stryker.. got it from my cousin a long time ago.. its awesome tho. 14 in. i think its 32 degress. is pretty accurate. should i jus buy a adpter?

should i invest on remote and regulator?

what exactly is a exspanison chamber?

#8 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:12 PM

Using barrel adapters is a bad idea in my honest opinion. If you want a good, yet cheap barrel, get a JJ ceramic. A remote isn't a bad idea if you’re going to be running a 20oz as they tend to get heavy, again personal opinion, and or a stock. If you choose to run w/ air on gun then get a drop forward to help balance it out. A Palmers Stabilizer is a good idea if you’re running CO2 period. As for expansion chambers, they allow CO2 to expand before entering the marker, thus helping the efficiency of the marker and helping to keep liquid CO2 out of it as well. Running a remote does about the same as an expansion chamber. While some say that expansion chambers don't work and are a waste of cash, is not true. They do help, just not a huge amount, and thus it is easy to dispute if they are worth buy. Going with a stabilizer is much better. Hope that helps.

#9 User is offline   JayRecball 

• Ref/Player
  • PipPip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:22 AM

as much as i love the idea of gettin this kid a palmer stabilizer. and a brass barrel.. im gonna side with weigel... pick up a JJ ceramic barrel for like 30 bucks.. play with it 5-10 days.. then find out what your lookin for.

heck i used my 98 for a year and the only upgrade i did was a cyclone & jj barrel. it lasted me for a real long time :o

i gotta side with piller bout stiffi's too.. don't believe the hype :)

#10 User is offline   Unstoppable 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Post icon  Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:45 AM

so regardless. all i somewhat need is a barrel, remote?

possible upgrades. stock and RT?

#11 User is offline   BlackWolf214 

• Tactical EMT
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:BlackWolf214

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:16 AM

View PostUnstoppable, on Mar 12 2008, 07:45 AM, said:

so regardless. all i somewhat need is a barrel, remote?

possible upgrades. stock and RT?

Save the RT for later you should get a feel for how your marker behaves and responds to the trigger before modding it. Barrels are a great idea as stated before the stock 98c barrel is not the best. Stocks in my oppinion are a good idea, I have used one for years and they help my accuracy and my vertical snap shooting. (I play a lot of scenarios) Remotes are a double edged sword they definitely make the marker lighter but it does suck when they get tangled in heavy underbrush. I have had that happen to me a couple of times with two different setups, I went to run out of my position and TWANG! my remote got stuck on a branch or something. I didn't cost my team the game or anything just some embarassment from my teammates who saw me do it as they ripped on me all day.

This post has been edited by BlackWolf214: 12 March 2008 - 06:17 AM

Official Sabre #144 (I guess) "If we can't do it, It doesn't need to be done!"
Slammin' and Sneakin' -- Sabre/Sniper hybrid
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome - Emergency Medical Services motto

#12 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:55 AM

If you get a remote you may want to get a sleeve/cover/sock, or whatever they're called, for it as I've heard they help keep the remote from snagging on things, but I'm not entirely sure. If you are going to run remote then a stock could prove very helpful as a base to help steady your aim, but be careful choosing your stock, there are many to choose from and each has it's pros and cons. The R/T, or if you choose an E-Grip, is not needed and while it may help assist you in getting others out and keeping you in it will cost you a lot in paint. I suggest you play with your marker a bit until you get a feel for it and have fairly good accurcy, nothing looks worse(IMO) than someone walking out on the field with 760 or so paintballs, shooting them all in a matter of minutes, and only getting a few other players out.

#13 User is offline   RAYC22B 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:John Hatcher

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:20 AM

Yeah i love my J&J barrel.As far as remotes go you should try to play with one then without and see what you preffer.

#14 User is offline   Unstoppable 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:35 PM

ok so ive decided to go w\the jj ceramic 16 in.
jus a remote from Academy sports.
also decided to go w\the TAPCO 98C T6 ADJUSTABLE STOCK

after getting comfortable w\these upgrades im getting the R\T and Cyclone feed.

remember im gettin into speedball not jus woodball.. but of course. woodball for life =]

#15 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

View PostUnstoppable, on Mar 12 2008, 08:35 PM, said:

ok so ive decided to go w\the jj ceramic 16 in.
jus a remote from Academy sports.
also decided to go w\the TAPCO 98C T6 ADJUSTABLE STOCK

after getting comfortable w\these upgrades im getting the R\T and Cyclone feed.

remember im gettin into speedball not jus woodball.. but of course. woodball for life =]

Youre going find out real quick that your Set Up is not going to work very well in a game of Speedball, especially with the RT.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users